Amtrak #5(12) with Summit View Dome Car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Agent

Conductor
I caught the westbound California Zephyr as it went through Agency, Iowa this evening with the Iowa Pacific Big Dome Summit View on the end. I've been told this car is going to Denver. Also, the third sleeping car is the Edward L. Ullman.

Car is bound for the San Luis and Rio Grande. As with many PVs they are finding service in tourist service thanks to Anderson and Gardner’s restrictions. Of course though IPH cars generally when not in use spend time on their tourist lines.

I caught the westbound California Zephyr as it went through Agency, Iowa this evening with the Iowa Pacific Big Dome Summit View on the end. I've been told this car is going to Denver. Also, the third sleeping car is the Edward L. Ullman.

Thanx! It's always interesting to see the "Edward L. Ullman". It's a well-deserved tribute. If a reader here has a copy of Goode's School Atlas that includes a rail map of the U.S. it's likely credited to Ullman. He was an active board member; I met him when he accompanied Amtrak President Paul Reistrup on a train trip between Portland and Seattle. They were up in the dome car, taking in everything with great interest.

Car is bound for the San Luis and Rio Grande. As with many PVs they are finding service in tourist service thanks to Anderson and Gardner’s restrictions. Of course though IPH cars generally when not in use spend time on their tourist lines.

What are the restrictions exactly, that Anderson and other Amtrak higher ups have placed on when private cars can be attached to long distance trains? That is too bad to hear, it's yet another one of those stupid moves Anderson and Co. have implemented on Amtrak. Ugh....

What are the restrictions exactly, that Anderson and other Amtrak higher ups have placed on when private cars can be attached to long distance trains? That is too bad to hear, it's yet another one of those stupid moves Anderson and Co. have implemented on Amtrak. Ugh....
The main restriction is where they can be added and removed. I believe the restriction is now only at end points. Otherwise adding / removing cars cause delays.

There are very few places you can go to any longer. Here is the current list.

East Coast
-Albany, NY (Only Trains that add or drop a locomotive)
-Boston, MA(448/449, 173/163/149)
-Charlotte, NC (79/80)
-Harrisburg, PA (601,605,607,610,611,612,618,620, 622)
-Indianapolis, IN
-Miami, FL
-Montreal, QC
-New Haven, CT (when locomotives or added)
-New Orleans, LA
-Newport News, VA
-Niagara Falls, NY ( Except Maple Leaf)
-Philadelphia, PA (same as Harrisburg plus 42/43)
-Pittsburgh, PA (42/43)
-Richmond, VA (Originating/Terminating)
-Roanoke, VA (same night turn only. Can’t be removed from consist)
-Rutland, VT
-Savannah, GA (89/90)
-Springfield, MA (Originating/Terminating)
-St. Albans, VT
-Toronto, ON
-Washington, DC (see note below list)

Midwest
-Carbondale, IL (originating/terminating)
-Chicago, IL
-Denver, CO
-Fort Worth, TX
-Houston, TX
-Kansas City, MO
-Milwaukee, WI
-Pontiac, MI
-Quincy, IL
-San Antonio, TX
-St. Louis, MO (Originating/Terminating)
-St. Paul, MN (Only is the train is on time)

West
-Albuquerque, NM
-Emeryville, CA (5/6)
-Los Angeles, CA (562, 565, 1/2, 3/4, 11/14)
-Oakland, CA (11/14 drop off only, 5/6)
-San Diego, CA (562, 565)
-Seattle, WA (7/8, 11/14)
-Spokane, WA (7 CHI-SPK, 8 SPK-CHI)
-Tucson, AZ

Here are some notes.
-Oklahoma City, OK is not on the list but we’re allowed on 821/822.
-Roanoke, VA cars must leave on the same train set next day.
-Washington, DC. Due to construction movements are severely restricted and are problematic.
-Cities that we’re lost Tampa, FL, Jacksonville, FL, Huntington, WV, Whitefish, MT, Portland, OR, San Luis Obispo, CA, Santa Barbra, CA. And those are the ones I remember.
-The west coast is the coast hurting the most. Bill Hattrick has lost his livelihood running day trips from Los Angeles. ORHF has lost an outlet to the outside world in Portland. And the New River Train was killed because of the lack of a switch.

And lastly open platform riding, and open vestibule riding is a thing of the past as well.

Back