Amtrak #5, a deer about to be hit, an airplane flew overhead, Moffat Tunnel

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

oregon pioneer

Conductor
Gorgeous photos! Wow, deer can be so stupid.

Interesting side note: I was on a backwoods train in Sweden once, and it was a little two-car double-ended train that just racketed along single-track through miles and miles of managed pine forests, through Sveg to Ostersund. Way back in the woods, we hit something then screeched to a stop. The men on the car all piled out and dragged something off the tracks, got back in, and off we went again. I got a glimpse of the bloody carcass as they threw it aside, and it appeared from the horns that we had hit a reindeer. They seem equally likely to be victims of "civilization."

coventry801

Train Attendant

Interesting side note: I was on a backwoods train in Sweden once, and it was a little two-car double-ended train that just racketed along single-track through miles and miles of managed pine forests, through Sveg to Ostersund. Way back in the woods, we hit something then screeched to a stop. The men on the car all piled out and dragged something off the tracks, got back in, and off we went again. I got a glimpse of the bloody carcass as they threw it aside, and it appeared from the horns that we had hit a reindeer. They seem equally likely to be victims of "civilization."
They seem equally likely to be victims of Nature as well. Favorite meal of all kinds of prey in Africa, lions, hyenas, crocadile, komodo dragon, etc. Most of the time they are torn apart alive. Feel so sad for them.

me_little_me

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter

You killed Rudolph? OMG! Santa's going to bring you coal for Christmas and you won't be able to sell or burn it because it's bad for the environment. But then, anyone who was involved in the killing of Rudolph wouldn't care anyway.

Please don't ever take the Zephyr. You'd probably do the same to Donner on the Donner Pass.

oregon pioneer

Conductor
You killed Rudolph? OMG! Santa's going to bring you coal for Christmas and you won't be able to sell or burn it because it's bad for the environment. But then, anyone who was involved in the killing of Rudolph wouldn't care anyway.

Please don't ever take the Zephyr. You'd probably do the same to Donner on the Donner Pass.
Oh, I've taken the Zephyr quite a few times. I don't remember ever hitting any deer on the Zephyr (maybe an elk once, on the Builder). I don't *think* I'm a jinx.