Amtrak #5, a deer about to be hit, an airplane flew overhead, Moffat Tunnel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gorgeous photos! Wow, deer can be so stupid.

Interesting side note: I was on a backwoods train in Sweden once, and it was a little two-car double-ended train that just racketed along single-track through miles and miles of managed pine forests, through Sveg to Ostersund. Way back in the woods, we hit something then screeched to a stop. The men on the car all piled out and dragged something off the tracks, got back in, and off we went again. I got a glimpse of the bloody carcass as they threw it aside, and it appeared from the horns that we had hit a reindeer. They seem equally likely to be victims of "civilization."

Interesting side note: I was on a backwoods train in Sweden once, and it was a little two-car double-ended train that just racketed along single-track through miles and miles of managed pine forests, through Sveg to Ostersund. Way back in the woods, we hit something then screeched to a stop. The men on the car all piled out and dragged something off the tracks, got back in, and off we went again. I got a glimpse of the bloody carcass as they threw it aside, and it appeared from the horns that we had hit a reindeer. They seem equally likely to be victims of "civilization."

They seem equally likely to be victims of Nature as well. Favorite meal of all kinds of prey in Africa, lions, hyenas, crocadile, komodo dragon, etc. Most of the time they are torn apart alive. Feel so sad for them.

You killed Rudolph? OMG! Santa's going to bring you coal for Christmas and you won't be able to sell or burn it because it's bad for the environment. But then, anyone who was involved in the killing of Rudolph wouldn't care anyway.

Please don't ever take the Zephyr. You'd probably do the same to Donner on the Donner Pass.

You killed Rudolph? OMG! Santa's going to bring you coal for Christmas and you won't be able to sell or burn it because it's bad for the environment. But then, anyone who was involved in the killing of Rudolph wouldn't care anyway.

Please don't ever take the Zephyr. You'd probably do the same to Donner on the Donner Pass.

Oh, I've taken the Zephyr quite a few times. I don't remember ever hitting any deer on the Zephyr (maybe an elk once, on the Builder). I don't *think* I'm a jinx.

I've been on trains that hit Elk,a Moose( The Canadian), Deer and once in McCook Nebraska a Herd of Cattle ( we were going 79) that resulted in a 12 Hour Delay due to Nebraska's Open Range and Liability Laws.

The Engineer and Conductors Timed out and a T&E Relief Crew had to be sent via a Van from Omaha.We also picked up a Conductor from #5 on its way West and the Engineer and Conductors from #6 rode in the Diner to Lincoln and told us stories of similar episodes on this route.

When we stopped in Lincoln a Fire Truck came and washed down the Engines which were not a pretty sight!

We arrived into Chicago 14 Hours late and were put up in a Hyatt with Taxi and Meal Money and re-booked on the next day's City of New Orleans and also compensated for that nights Hotel we missed in New Orleans.

I've been on trains that hit Elk,a Moose( The Canadian), Deer and once in McCook Nebraska a Herd of Cattle ( we were going 79) that resulted in a 12 Hour Delay due to Nebraska's Open Range and Liability Laws.

The Engineer and Conductors Timed out and a T&E Relief Crew had to be sent via a Van from Omaha.We also picked up a Conductor from #5 on its way West and the Engineer and Conductors from #6 rode in the Diner to Lincoln and told us stories of similar episodes on this route.

When we stopped in Lincoln a Fire Truck came and washed down the Engines which were not a pretty sight!

We arrived into Chicago 14 Hours late and were put up in a Hyatt with Taxi and Meal Money and re-booked on the next day's City of New Orleans and also compensated for that nights Hotel we missed in New Orleans.
Wow, what a story! I'm surprised that they compensated for the hotel in New Orleans, Amtrak does treat customers with missed connections very well. If only they could treat every situation that well..

Did they at least serve fresh steak in the dining car during your delayed trip?

I was working in Denver, when No. 5 arrived one time, also having hit a herd of cattle at track speed, somewhere west of McCook. It was only delayed a couple of hours, but there was blood and gore all over the front of the locomotive, which amazingly was pretty much unscathed, otherwise.....

Back