Amtrak 5 and 6 via Wyoming

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the planned detours for MOW work that I've experienced, there was a smoke stop at Green River and I think there was a crew change there. Passengers were warned not to get in trouble with the UP, as there were some UP management who didn't want the problems that passengers would cause.
How might passengers get in trouble with the UP?

How might passengers get in trouble with the UP?

Mostly railfans wandering around a yard and/or asking questions of UP staff who are managing an exception to their workflow.

Lots of passengers will try to hit a nearby convenience store, bar, etc....and it's a bit of a scramble. The usual stops are used to it, but railyards not so much.

We had a crew change at UP’s Green River yard in Wyoming where we were allowed off for a fresh air break / leg stretch.

020D35AC-5D76-422A-A44D-E9433F8DC9C4.jpeg

I believe the other crew change is at Speer, WY.

On 5 right now... we’re in between Rock Springs and Green River. No freight interference all afternoon, just once in the big yard just after departing DEN for about 20min. Besides that smooth sailing. Crew change was in Speer and I guess one in Green River which is not that far away. It’s been a nice ride! I’ll upload some pictures at some point.

On 5 right now... we’re in between Rock Springs and Green River. No freight interference all afternoon, just once in the big yard just after departing DEN for about 20min. Besides that smooth sailing. Crew change was in Speer and I guess one in Green River which is not that far away. It’s been a nice ride! I’ll upload some pictures at some point.
That surprises me...I've never heard of that happening before, either on a regular train when they went that way, or a detoured one. They must have brought the relief crews in and out of nearby Cheyenne in a Suburban....

That surprises me...I've never heard of that happening before, either on a regular train when they went that way, or a detoured one. They must have brought the relief crews in and out of nearby Cheyenne in a Suburban....
Given that Speer is out of the high rent district, an Expedition might be more appropriate than a Suburban.

Given that Speer is out of the high rent district, an Expedition might be more appropriate than a Suburban.
There are section roads that go in and out of Speer...not really difficult terrain. Besides, an Expedition is just a "Suburban wanna be", no more capable off-road.
Railroads have been using Suburban's as crew transports as far back as I can remember...some equipped for Hi-Rail operation.

Here are the times we reached each location along our detour...

Denver - 0805

Greeley - 1003

Speer/Cheyenne - 1103-1114 (engineer change)

Laramie - 1228

Rawlins - 1424

Rock Springs - 1607

Green River - 1635-1647 (full crew change)

Evanston - 1827-1829 (engineer change)

Ogden - 2017- 2020 (Engineer change)

Salt Lake City - 2115

Have to wonder about crew. Wouldn't it require a UP pilot? Amtrak engineer change at Green river ? Suspect that the logistics of getting an Amtrak engineer in place could be somewhat difficult without some previous day's effort to get Amtrak engineer at correct point ? Had wondered if UP had enough personnel to provide pilots ?

One other consideration is whether any Amtrak engineers had previously qualified on the route and just needed one day's requalification with a pilot ?

Have to wonder about crew. Wouldn't it require a UP pilot? Amtrak engineer change at Green river ? Suspect that the logistics of getting an Amtrak engineer in place could be somewhat difficult without some previous day's effort to get Amtrak engineer at correct point ? Had wondered if UP had enough personnel to provide pilots ?

One other consideration is whether any Amtrak engineers had previously qualified on the route and just needed one day's requalification with a pilot ?

It was all UP pilots from the looks of it. The Amtrak conductors swapped out in Green River.

5 is running the normal route today; 6 is still in Salt Lake City, almost 8 hours late at this point.

Back