Amtrak 5 and 6 via Wyoming

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amtrak alerts from today:

California Zephyr Train 5 which departs Chicago (CHI) on 8/20 will operate on a detour between Denver (DEN) and Salt Lake City (SLC). No alternate transportation will be provided for passengers scheduled to get on or off at intermediate stops.

California Zephyr Train 6 which departs Emeryville (EMY) on 8/20 will operate on a detour between Salt Lake City (SLC) and Denver (DEN). No alternate transportation will be provided for passengers scheduled to get on or off at intermediate stops.

Does this mean there's an opportunity for some rare mileage along the original transcontinental Union Pacific route?

Amtrak alerts from today:

California Zephyr Train 5 which departs Chicago (CHI) on 8/20 will operate on a detour between Denver (DEN) and Salt Lake City (SLC). No alternate transportation will be provided for passengers scheduled to get on or off at intermediate stops.

California Zephyr Train 6 which departs Emeryville (EMY) on 8/20 will operate on a detour between Salt Lake City (SLC) and Denver (DEN). No alternate transportation will be provided for passengers scheduled to get on or off at intermediate stops.

Does this mean there's an opportunity for some rare mileage along the original transcontinental Union Pacific route?

I’m on this train 5(20)! Actually this was the reason why I booked this trip - the chance of getting the Wyoming detour which has eluded me for years lol. Pretty excited right now.

I’m on this train 5(20)! Actually this was the reason why I booked this trip - the chance of getting the Wyoming detour which has eluded me for years lol. Pretty excited right now.
And to think that back in the San Francisco Zephyr days, the Wyoming route was the primary route, and AFAIR it was very seldom if ever that the SF Zephyr used the - what then was - the Rio Grande Route.

The SF Zephyr in the early days also used the Lucine cutoff across the Lake and did not call at Salt Lake City. It called at Ogden.

Actually the Amtrak SF Zephyr never called at SLC. First there was a Thruway Bus connection and then there was the Desert Wind and the Pioneer that provided connection to SLC.

Last edited:
For your interest, attached are the last UP schedule (April 1970) and the 1994 Pioneer schedule.
1970 058.jpg

Attachments

• 1994 05 01 Pioneer.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
The two trains that departed yesterday tried today to run the normal route, and the UP pulled the rug out from underneath by closing the railroad again. I imagine there was a flare-up of fires.

It is good to keep in mind that these detours through Wyoming may have serious delays. The schedule through Wyoming may have little resemblance to the Zephyr's schedule through Colorado. When I was on a detoured No. 6 in May a few years ago, we were way late arriving in Salt Lake City, stayed there for a long period of time, were stopped again for long periods of time soon after leaving Salt Lake City and ran out of daylight west of Rawlins. Much of the detour was in darkness (but once we got going it was very good while the daylight lasted).

The two trains that departed yesterday tried today to run the normal route, and the UP pulled the rug out from underneath by closing the railroad again. I imagine there was a flare-up of fires.
Yes, there was a flare-up of the fire. "There's a fire somewhere on the railroad right-of-way between MP 342 and MP 362 (Dotsero-Glenwood). "
They are bus bridging the trains that are already in CO (#5 had to go back to Denver (backwards))

I wonder what they do for fresh air breaks on the Wyoming route.

Where's the crew change on the Wyoming route?
On the planned detours for MOW work that I've experienced, there was a smoke stop at Green River and I think there was a crew change there. Passengers were warned not to get in trouble with the UP, as there were some UP management who didn't want the problems that passengers would cause.

It is good to keep in mind that these detours through Wyoming may have serious delays. The schedule through Wyoming may have little resemblance to the Zephyr's schedule through Colorado. When I was on a detoured No. 6 in May a few years ago, we were way late arriving in Salt Lake City, stayed there for a long period of time, were stopped again for long periods of time soon after leaving Salt Lake City and ran out of daylight west of Rawlins. Much of the detour was in darkness (but once we got going it was very good while the daylight lasted).
Attached covers what you missed. This is a segment of the 1966 UP route guide for the City of Portland. While people tend to think of division point Green River as the junction, the Oregon line diverges at Granger.

1966 002.jpg

Is there even a platform there for that to happen?
The UP rips up passenger platforms, but has left a few in place for excursions and VIP trains. Last time I checked, there was still a platform in Las Vegas, for example. There was a platform in Green River a couple of years ago, and a station track so that freights would not be blocked while Amtrak sat there.

Can't wait to see the trip log! I'm guessing it'll be a pretty empty train, but who knows, maybe you'll be all rail fans???

Sleepers are maybe 1/3 full out of CHI. Several pax going to SLC. I’m going all the way to EMY. Will be curious to see how the load is out of DEN.

For anyone who’s taken this detour...would you recommend the right side or left side in terms of views, or does it not really matter?

Sleepers are maybe 1/3 full out of CHI. Several pax going to SLC. I’m going all the way to EMY. Will be curious to see how the load is out of DEN.

For anyone who’s taken this detour...would you recommend the right side or left side in terms of views, or does it not really matter?
It'll probably be dark in Weber Canyon. Otherwise I'd say that the two sides come out even. Westbound there's a Pony Express stone relief point on the left, the Virginian Hotel in Medicine Bow on the right, buffalo ranch between Greeley and Borie on the right. Antelope on all sides. Between Medicine Bow and Laramie is old US30, way overbuilt now that I-80 goes further south. Motorcycle tourists are often seen on it.26 (2).jpg

The Virginian always has something going on, but trains are usually moving fast at Medicine Bow. On the ColoRail Pioneer expedition in 2008 we stopped there to watch a quick-draw competition. The hotel is in the background.

Back