Amtrak #5 Versus Semi in Colorado

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised it was only an hour delay. When my starlight hit someone (who paid the ultimate price) we were delayed four hours, which delayed us another four since we missed our time slot and had to wait for track work. Ended up 9 hours late into Seattle

Surprised it was only an hour delay. When my starlight hit someone (who paid the ultimate price) we were delayed four hours, which delayed us another four since we missed our time slot and had to wait for track work. Ended up 9 hours late into Seattle
If its fatal, the local coroner gets involved and he won't release the train until investigation of the scene takes place. Depending on location, coroner's are not necessarily speedy when responding and then it may take some time to complete the investigation.

Unfortunately, people are always running late. I was on the train out of Grand Rapids running out in the open, when we hit a SUV. Somehow the engine didn’t derail, but the train didn’t come to a stop until the last car was past the accident. Later I read that a friend said the mother (deceased)complained she was late getting to the school. We sat for hours. Finally, Amtrak sent a bus because the investigation was lasting so long, we suspected the engine could not continue.

And not only do they put themselves in danger (and sometimes get themselves and loved ones killed), they also cause trauma to others and delay others by hours.

Usually in the case of a car, van, small truck and frequently even in the case of larger vehicles the train will not derail. As to not stopping until the train is completely past the accident scene, that is also the usual with a passenger train. Even with brakes locked, steel on steel has fairly low friction. You are not going to stop like a car. Normally an entire freight train will not completely pass the accident because of length of train and lower speed.

Back