Amtrak 55 (Vermonter) to 449 (LSL) Transfer in Springfield MA

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edolan

Train Attendant
I’m looking to travel from Waterbury VT to Pittsfield MA and the schedule implies a 50 minute transfer is possible in Springfield MA. Amtrak won’t let me book it (I guess it’s too short to guarantee). Is it a bad idea to book separate tickets? Average delay on 55 into SPG over the last 2 months was 15 mins with a median of 9 so I feel pretty confortable. Let me know if this is a connection people make.

It's really up to you. 449 is usually on time, in contrast to 448 going the other direction. 55 can run pretty late depending on freight interference and vehicle strikes. On Friday, connection time was 6 minutes. However, out of the last two months, ASMAD says only three connections were missed. #57 is the weekend and holiday southbound Vermonter, and looking its history, no connections to 449 were missed over the past two months.

I would do it by booking it in one multi-city reservation and then call Amtrak to note that you'd be connecting. There is some debate between folks here as to how much difference that actually makes, however. I would keep in mind that you'd be stranded unless you can get a seat on the once-daily Greyhound bus leaving at 4:15 arriving Pittsfield 5:25 with one stop in Lee, MA. The next connection isn't until the next day: a Peter Pan bus leaving at 12:25pm arriving Pittsfield 1:45pm with stops in the Lee Outlets and the Lenox Town Hall. That only runs Friday-Tuesday.

This is why we need East-West Rail!

Last edited:
I didn't even think Amtrak would book a connection with less than 60 minutes.
There are certain "guaranteed connections" that are much less than that, like the Northeast Regional to Hartford Line/Valley Flyer (formerly Springfield Shuttle) connections, often 10 minutes or less, but yes, you're right, except if you book the tickets separately or in a multi-city reservation (that way sometimes you save money). But the connections are not guaranteed by Amtrak and you may have to pay the difference in fare to the current bucket on the next train if it is missed, which could be not until the next day!

Back