Amtrak #59 Almost 10 hours late 1/11-12

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
Does anyone know what is going on with Amtrak #59 in Illinois? It appeared to depart on time 8:05pm from Chicago. It then departed Effingham, IL almost 8 hours late and was 10 hours late departing Carbondale this morning around 11am. It is just now in Tennessee.

Engine 157 stopped loading outside of Mattoon, IL. After an 8 hour wait a UP SD70M- UP 4968- was put on as the leader but the train crew went dead on Hours of Service at Effingham, IL. It took 2 hours to get a fresh crew out of Carbondale.

Amtrak passengers definitely need a Bill of Rights like airline pax got after being stranded on taxi ways for multiple hours!

No excuse for this nor for sending out LD Trains with only one clapped out P-42. Also the Class Is are right to require that short on hours/rest crews not be sent out on LD routes!

Thanks, MetraUPWest. I will be on #59 Jan 24 so was interested since #58 and #59 have been operating close to on time for months. Will be interesting to see if turn around time in New Orleans affects the departure time of #58 tomorrow. One of my favorite SCA's "Rion" works these trains.

The crew died on HoS because of the 8 hour delay they incurred waiting on the rescue locomotive.

I completely agree with you on single engine LD trains, but at least 157's HEP was still working.

I see that the #59 of 1/11 is in a Service Disruption @ Memphis after arriving #9+ Hours Late!

Wonder if the pax are being bused to New Orleans and the consist will be dead headed with the crew to become tomorrows #58 out of NOL?

It is not showing "service disruption" at this time 6:35pm. Departed Memphis and now expected Greenwood 6:51pm . Expected to arrive New Orleans 11:57pm so plenty of turn around time for #58's 1:45pm departure tomorrow.

The crew died on HoS because of the 8 hour delay they incurred waiting on the rescue locomotive.
I'll bite. Why would it take 8 hours to get a rescue engine. Last year when I was on the LSL and it died just outside of Penn Station, it only took 4 hours.

Oops, I forgot. Mattoon isn't that far from Chicago.

By the way, was UP being extra helpful? I thought the CoNO ran on CN tracks.

Is it just me or are P42s dying on the road more often than they used to?

Also, getting a UP helper on CN tracks is pretty weird. Is CN being deliberately obstructive? (Why do I even ask. Of course they are.)

Is it just me or are P42s dying on the road more often than they used to?
I was wondering a similar thing a while ago. How often do breakdowns occur? There was a thread about #6 losing a P42 on the way to Chicago, but since it was east of Denver, they continued with one locomotive.

My guess as to why the UP unit was put on was because it was the first locomotive to become available. Lately, any unit can be seen anywhere in the country. Just saw 2 NS units last week laying over in Great Falls, Montana!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back