Amtrak #6(31) Down to One Engine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent

Conductor
The eastbound California Zephyr due into Chicago later today is running about five hours late right now with only one engine leading it. I've been told the other locomotive was left behind after a car ran into it. I haven't been able to find any more information about that though. Amtrak Status Maps shows this #6 lost over two hours between Fort Morgan, Colorado and McCook, Nebraska. Maybe it happened there.

Crew says a truck ran into the second loco around McCook. She made it to Hastings before she gave out. Been riding with the one engine ever since. Crew reported that there were no casualties...except the engine and the OTP

I wonder if Cardinal passengers are on a bus heading for Indianapolis after they reached Galesburg? Looks like they might make their connection to the Lake Shore without further delays, but the Cap Ltd and Wolverines would be a no go. :(

Arrived around 7:30. Almost five hours late. Luckily, there was not much freight traffic in the way from Omaha eastward, so after initial incident we only lost an extra hour or so due to one locomotive gone missing.

Bit of an update on this one. Amtrak #6(04) came through with three P42s running nine hours late. I believe the middle one, AMTK 173, is the one that was set out at Hastings as mentioned by Mr. Slasharoo above. I see that this train lost three hours before reaching Hastings, and lost three more waiting at station there (what's listed as the departure time on the Status Map Archive is listed as the arrival time on Amtrak.com). I hope these delays weren't all because they had to pick up 173. Interesting that the train that got hit by a truck and had to set out an engine wasn't as late as the train that simply had to pick up that engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back