Amtrak Alerts train #1 from Orlando

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't the reason the SUNSET Limited was terminated due to a bridge problem accident in Alabamy ---
and the pieces and parts to put the train back on track just was not revenue warranted.

Yes... but if they extend the Empire Builder through to Miami via IND and ATL... that would be quite a run! Just get on in SEA and set up housekeeping for a few days!

[But if I would have to eat flex meals for that 5 night 6 day run I refuse to do it!] 🥶
That’s at least a 6 bottle of wine trip.

Wasn't the reason the SUNSET Limited was terminated due to a bridge problem accident in Alabamy

I think it was when Katrina damaged the tracks and bridges along the Gulf Coast - the tracks and bridges have since been rebuilt and a test train was run from NOL to Tallahassee a few years back ... but nothing came of it.

Wasn't the reason the SUNSET Limited was terminated due to a bridge problem accident in Alabamy ---
and the pieces and parts to put the train back on track just was not revenue warranted.
No, there was a derailment in Alabama in 1993 but service was not discontinued until 2005. Service was initially suspended due to Hurricane Katrina, but the route was reopened for freight, so the infrastructure is there for trains from Jacksonville to New Orleans. However, at this point the stations would need major repairs or replacements and track improvements would be necessary for passenger service.

And if it was 25 years ago,the Sunset Ltds #2 and #1 would Terminate/ Originate in Orlando!
Apparently one train is really running late.

One of the many delays at unstaffed Greeley caused me to volunteer to call Amtrak to ask how Train 26 was doing. The agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL told me that it had left Everett on time.

Apparently one train is really running late.

One of the many delays at unstaffed Greeley caused me to volunteer to call Amtrak to ask how Train 26 was doing. The agent at 1-800-USA-RAIL told me that it had left Everett on time.
The Pioneer left Everett??? 🙃:)

(Edited to redact mistaken entries)

Last edited:
Two 'Great Circle' trains...
449 combined with 59 combined with 20 combined with 66, and the reverse.
Has me wondering if the Sunset between MIA and LAX was the longest distance a train ever operated in the US, considering that you could once take a sleeping car from NYC to LAX via NOL (albeit handled by multiple roads) and of course Amtrak's short-lived experiment running the Capitol/SWC as a through train. 🤔 Were there any others of similar duration?

Back