Amtrak and CSX Track work Virginia/North Carolina

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamj023

Lead Service Attendant
Looks like CSX is doing a lot of track work in Virginia and North Carolina areas. Between the two different CSX projects posted by Amtrak, it looks like today is the last day of actual service suspensions on those dates. After that, there will be just service delays. CSX seems to be committed to improving infrastructure in the area in future projects. Hopefully this work leads to a smoother ride and quicker travels and improves upon the previous work at Acca Yard which allowed Amtrak trains to bypass it and save significant time.

I was on Auto train awhile ago and got stuck in track work delays so train had to stop abruptly for awhile early in the trip so it must have been in Virginia and I remember coming back and seeing a lot of track workers around Quantico, VA area at the time. I used the silver meteor trains many years before my last Auto train ride. Hopefully improvements will be noticeable on the line. There is a google maps gps map with station times and train locations so you can see how time performance is on the trains and where the bottlenecks are at Amtrak/VIA Live Map which is what I use, If the train can meet or exceed car travel speeds, that is all one can ask for right now outside of the Northeast corridor but hopefully they can speed it up further over time.

Silver Meteor was going 103 Mph on Northeast corridor track around Philadelphia and these speeds could possibly improve as well depending on the locomotives and equipment used. I expect the CSX tracks will also see higher speeds over time from their current speeds.

Last edited:
I was on 97 in late February. We were delayed by track work between DC and Richmond, having had to wait for clearance a couple times. I know the track between Richmond and DC is at least double track, so I’m guessing they had one track closed for a portion. We also putsyed along at no more than 45 mph at times. But, the REAL putsy-putsying took place in South Carolina. We ended up being two hours late getting in Kissimmee.

I believe Amtrak has leased the CSX line from DC to Richmond, and so CSX is upgrading the line to allow for faster speeds.

All good news for this line in the future. Viewliner II’s are available and soon new locomotives will start on long haul routes, and eventually the Amfleet II replacements down the road along with the infrastructure work. I saw lots of issues during the work with delays but it seems to be temporary. Freight seems to be an issue causing delays for now till the additional projects get completed.

The trackwork is hammering everything moving between Petersburg and Richmond during the day. Probably should have continued to annul 94 and 95 south of Richmond yesterday and today.

Oscar Munoz is someone I respect who was formerly at CSX before his current job at United. The current batch of track work ends in May. Amtrak uses a lot of CSX on the east coast and I’ve probably used CSX and Amtrak tracks mostly in my own travels when I’ve used Amtrak. I also saw the same delays but that should clear up. I haven’t used Amtrak in awhile and I haven’t been traveling due to pandemic.

NY to Florida isn’t an exciting train ride with any significant scenery like you find on other routes but the CSX footprint covers a significant amount of traffic.

Carolinian shows delays at Petersburg and RMT I guess is Rocky Mount.

Last edited:
Petersburg to Charlie Baker (Just south of Rocky Mount) is basically the east coast's version of a black hole. If you are the slightest bit out of the pattern or late your train will lose time. At one point this was an all double track railroad back in the Atlantic Coastline Days up into the 50s and 60s. But then they turned it into a single track line but didn't have nearly the same issue they have today because they had the parallel Seaboard Airline main available. Then they ripped that up and it's been a mess ever since. CSX has probably wished they had the Seaboard mainline back for a long while. And now the State of Virginia and North Carolina is building it back for passenger service.

I was sitting in my Bedroom on the swivel chair as we putsyed through Florence, SC. We passed a desolate crossing where there was a “Sac-o-Suds” ( My Cousin Vinny) place next to the tracks. Looked almost like the one in the movie, and was out in the boondocks!!

Back