Amtrak and the Kentucky Derby train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony V

Lead Service Attendant

In this video, uploaded on May 2, 2019, you can clearly see that Amtrak ran a charter train to Louisville, KY for the Kentucky Derby this year. I didn't think Amtrak ran charter trains on tracks that don't see regular Amtrak service anymore. Did they change this rule, or is this an old video?

In this video, uploaded on May 2, 2019, you can clearly see that Amtrak ran a charter train to Louisville, KY for the Kentucky Derby this year. I didn't think Amtrak ran charter trains on tracks that don't see regular Amtrak service anymore. Did they change this rule, or is this an old video?

Not sure when this was filmed, but if that was indeed from this year, that youtube poster would probably be best to not let Richard Anderson know about that. :) Since he'd probably be pissed lol, if he becomes aware of that! Joking aside, I do wonder if sometimes today that rare exceptions are made for charter trains to run on track/rail lines, that no longer see regular Amtrak service?

If that was approved by Amtrak to run to/from the 2019 Kentucky Derby, that'd be hard for me to believe. As I remember reading the Hinton, WV fall railroad fest couldn't even get approval to run an Amtrak charter train to the fest that year(per reading articles online), and I believe that was the case for the 2019 fest as well. At least that festival still went on in Hinton despite that Amtrak charter train sadly no longer running to that festival though!

That looks a lot like the 2017 Derby Train based on the units assigned and the one PV we can see.

The derby train used to be and still is a big thing.

Norfolk Southern, CSX, and RJ Corman all still operate one.

That looks a lot like the 2017 Derby Train based on the units assigned and the one PV we can see.

The derby train used to be and still is a big thing.

Norfolk Southern, CSX, and RJ Corman all still operate one.
Do the remaining derby trains still use the track at Louisville Union Station that was installed for the Kentucky Cardinal?

No Norfolk Southern is in one of their yards.

CSX and RJ Corman I believe come in from out of town on the day of the Derby and then go back out. CSX takes the governor of Kentucky and comes in from Lexington. Corman comes in off one of their lines.

Back