"Amtrak App" warning?!?!?!?!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Court Jester
What's up with this???

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/amtrak-app-notice.77221/
Are we talking about the actual Amtrak App used everywhere to book tickets, or the "Amtrak Unlimited" app used to browse the forum on a smartphone? There's a huge difference.

Assuming you actually meant the "Amtrak Unlimited" forum app, what are those security and privacy concerns? Is there evidence of actual data being compromised? Do the issues extend to what the app does on our phones, giving one reason to believe that other data might be at risk?

Dumping this info into a locked thread with no clarifying information and potentially misidentifying the app involved leaves much to be desired.

AU Staff seems to think that Angie was referring to the Amtrak Unlimited app and we have changed the title to the thread to avoid confusion. I will defer to Angie to respond to the remainder of your questions. We, Moderators, do not have any more information than you do.

The name of this forum is Amtrak Unlimited so I titled it that way. It is THIS FORUM App that is discontinued.

The original title says "Amtrak App".

The app titled "Amtrak" is programmed and distributed by Amtrak for the purpose of buying tickets, checking schedules and train status, etc.

Thanks for the clarification and to Penny for properly naming the thread.

Do you have any information to share on the rest of my questions? Removal of this functionality under the guise of security requires more information on what of our personal data may or may not be at risk.

Edit to add: Yes, I understand that I'm being somewhat harsh about this. Data security concerns are serious to me. Also, from private conversations with several of the volunteer moderators, they seem to be as clueless as I am. My ire is not directed at the volunteer moderating staff, for whom I have a great amount of respect and many of whom I consider close personal friends. I would like to see this handled more professionally by the paid staff that provides the venue for us to converse about that which interests us.

@Ryan I came back to this forum a few minutes ago and added (this forum) and discontinued.
It had the Amtrak Unlimited. So either someone added that for me while I was off, or you caught it quickly. I'm sorry I upset you by being unclear. I was doing it at midnight.

And the security was noticed BEFORE any information about anyone could be accessed. The steps were taken before there was a problem for members. Nothing was compromised.

So....
Should we remove the app from our phones?
Will a new one replace it, and need to he downloaded?
Sorry it’s gone, as it’s the only way I have been able to make posts with photo’s...

The app is not anticipated coming back. What is keeping you from uploading an image when you are in a mobile browser and on the forum?

The app is not anticipated coming back. What is keeping you from uploading an image when you are in a mobile browser and on the forum?
Oh...I hadn’t noticed that attach files box before...is that new?
Anyway, thanks...I removed the app
and will try using that when I get back on land... internet too slow for uploading photos at sea...

We did have Upload a File button on the previous version, in this case the attach file will let you choose from your laptop or phone/tablet gallery of images, then you can upload from there. Can your phone accept a wifi signal your boat may provide?

But the mobile version can be just as convenient as an app.

1. Go to mobile browser.
2. Bring up the forum
3. Android - upper right hand corner three dots.
4. Choose Add to Home Screen
5. You now have Amtrak link. Click on it and you are on Forum. Whatever page you are on it will save that to your Home Screen.
6. Apple - For iPhone, click the icon on the bottom of the screen, center of the page as if you were saving a file and you can add to your home screen.

This is very easy to use. Please give it a try.

But the mobile version can be just as convenient as an app.

1. Go to mobile browser.
2. Bring up the forum
3. Android - upper right hand corner three dots.
4. Choose Add to Home Screen
5. You now have Amtrak link. Click on it and you are on Forum. Whatever page you are on it will save that to your Home Screen.
6. Apple - For iPhone, click the icon on the bottom of the screen, center of the page as if you were saving a file and you can add to your home screen.

This is very easy to use. Please give it a try.

I have an iPhone. Could you be more specific (instructions for Dummies) so I can understand!!!
I was the one who was lost when the App was deleted since that was all I used.

Thanks for your help and looking out for us.

Do you have a Lightening bolt icon just to the right of LOG IN REGISTER LIGHTENING BOLT SEARCH

If you see the lightening bolt, click on that and it will install the forum link on your phone home page.

Back