Amtrak asks a passenger to move ...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sleep in sweatpants and a t-shirt or sweatshirt when on a sleeper. Works fine for moving about if needed.

Back on topic, I agree that people shouldn't be moved so others can sit with friends or traveling companions on shorter trips but it is different if it's a parent and young child, which is the offered explanation for this incident. That said, I often see people moving voluntarily (and I have done so as well) if they see a parent and child looking fruitlessly for seats together.

I do not know all the "facts" since I was not on the train ... however, if I were asked to move and got upset about it and decided to tweet about it ... I seriously doubt it would have made the news - let alone a thread on this forum.

I do not know all the "facts" since I was not on the train ... however, if I were asked to move and got upset about it and decided to tweet about it ... I seriously doubt it would have made the news - let alone a thread on this forum.
As with any other announcement, news, complaint, etc., it wouldn’t get as much attention because you aren’t high profile.

The same can be said for a celebrity announcing an engagement versus a random Joe Smith announcing an engagement. Obviously, the celebrity will get more attention.

I'd like to see the actual stated policy. Seems to me that if you have paid for two seats, you should be able to enjoy the fruits of your purchase. Or worst case, get your money back.

There is at least one specific case where you can buy two seats for one passenger.

"Oversize instruments may only be carried onboard with the purchase of an additional full revenue seat."

There is at least one specific case where you can buy two seats for one passenger.

"Oversize instruments may only be carried onboard with the purchase of an additional full revenue seat."

But can the owner rely on being seated next to his/her "oversize instrument"? Or does that depend on the whim of that train's crew? ;)

If I were traveling with my tuba or cello, I would want it in the seat next to me ... not one elsewhere in the train - if I had to purchase a seat for it

Of course, since I don't have a tuba or cello (don't play either) I would not have this issue :rolleyes:

If I were traveling with my tuba or cello, I would want it in the seat next to me ... not one elsewhere in the train - if I had to purchase a seat for it

Of course, since I don't have a tuba or cello (don't play either) I would not have this issue :rolleyes:
I put my wife in an instrument case when traveling coach to be sure we sit together. Of course, I get strange looks from people when they hear me talking to my instrument - and even stranger looks when it talks back! ;)

Agree totally. We should remember as Americans we have the right to resist. Sometimes there is a price to pay for that, but long term we often win.

There are actual laws we must obey -- and try to change legislatively if they are unjust. Everything else is just someone's idea of a mere rule they want you to obey, but it's not backed up in local, state, or federal penal codes with criminal or civil penalties for disobeying. Control freaks and hatemongers beware!

We should applaud citizens who call out mere "rules" masquerading as laws.

And good going -- I never thought about reserving two adjoining seats. Often cheaper than getting a sleeper. And the only way I can get decent sleep in coach. I may consider that the next time sleepers are sold out. Did the sales agent, or website, give you grief for trying to buy two adjoining seats for one person?

I’ve reserved two Coach seats in the past (in order to not have a seat mate) without any issues, but I’ve been questioned upon boarding as to why I had required two seats.

Back