Amtrak Autumn Excursion 2016 - 10/29 & 30 - Confirmed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that the train's have not sold out on either date yet.

Big difference from the first two years when the Saturday trip sold out in what, a half hour, or so?

That prompted them to add the Sunday train, and last year they offered both dates from the start...

Even originating in a larger market hasn't made a difference, although the steadily increasing fare, may have had some effect...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, didn't realize it is not ACSES equipped.

However, if Amtrak really wanted it there's probably a way to do it. There is plenty of time before the trip.

Do you think it's worth the money? Unfortunately, I live between Harrisburg and Reading. I would have to drive 3 hours to get to NYC, take the ferry across, and then go to Penn Station. Just doesn't make sense given the train will pass through my town.

Big difference from the first two years when the Saturday trip sold out in what, a half hour, or so?

That prompted them to add the Sunday train, and last year they offered both dates from the start...

Even originating in a larger market hasn't made a difference, although the steadily increasing fare, may have had some effect...
Perhaps the novelty is wearing off. When that happens, the trains will likely vanish.

Maybe the head end will be #42?
Not possible. 42 is not ACSES equipped. It'll be 145 if they use any of the heritage painted units. It's the only one equipped with ACSES. 42 may be in the consist but that's about it.
It was requested by two groups. We'll see what actually happens.

Do you think it's worth the money? Unfortunately, I live between Harrisburg and Reading. I would have to drive 3 hours to get to NYC, take the ferry across, and then go to Penn Station. Just doesn't make sense given the train will pass through my town.
It sounds like you've already answered your own question. You could always take record the train as it passes through your town. If you have any bridges near your neighborhood, you can take a picture of the train as it crosses the bridge.

I could board it in Newark. I could park the car in the Hilton parking garage and walk over the breezeway to the station. This way, I won't have to go into NYC.

I am sure it will sell out or be very close to sellout by the time it runs, like it did last year.
Just checked, and the Saturday train is sold out....Sunday is still available....

So what might Mr. Moorman have to do with getting permission to run an excursion on a track where one was denied permission with much lecturing just a few weeks back? :p
Moorman worked for NS, so he knew the right people to talk to in order to get these trips scheduled.
Moorman ran NS.. But I can almost guarantee that he had nothing to do with it.. 2 out of 3 of these trips have used the NS Harrisburg Division. I can tell you first hand that the Harrisburg Division office treats 43 and 42 like gold. They want that thing off their trackage ASAP. Only one dispatcher handles 42 and 43 in the Harrisburg Division. That is the Harrisburg Terminal Dispatcher. From where it enters NS at Harrisburg to just past Rockville. Also bearing in mind that 42/43 pass a very busy GI8 (Harrisburg Fuel Pad) which is where crew changes occur. I can count at least once where my train was held at CP HARRISBURG to wait for 43 to get out ahead of us.

Bottom line... All of the trips except last years trip have used the Harrisburg Division.

Perhaps the novelty is wearing off. When that happens, the trains will likely vanish.

Not possible. 42 is not ACSES equipped. It'll be 145 if they use any of the heritage painted units. It's the only one equipped with ACSES. 42 may be in the consist but that's about it.
It was requested by two groups. We'll see what actually happens.

It sounds like you've already answered your own question. You could always take record the train as it passes through your town. If you have any bridges near your neighborhood, you can take a picture of the train as it crosses the bridge.
Two groups huh??? What they want a multi foam chance?? 145, 42, and dare I say 642? Put a unit in a different paint job they go nutssssss.

So, according to *******, it will have 145, 42 and 642. Should get the foam flowing copiously . Given 42's recent christening I was almost certain they'd find a way to include it, which was the reason I posted the original message.

So, according to ********, it will have 145, 42 and 642. Should get the foam flowing copiously . Given 42's recent christening I was almost certain they'd find a way to include it, which was the reason I posted the original message.
Well he would know for sure.. I got kicked out of that group cause someone's feelings got hurt over the stupidest thing..

So, according to ******, it will have 145, 42 and 642. Should get the foam flowing copiously . Given 42's recent christening I was almost certain they'd find a way to include it, which was the reason I posted the original message.
Well he would know for sure.. I got kicked out of that group cause someone's feelings got hurt over the stupidest thing..
Oh NEC Railfans? Yeah, they're very stingy and easy to upset at times...

Yes, I have had no problem with them. BTW, I was requested by three different people to throw Acela150 off the AU forum group on FB and I respectfully declined.

The folks on the North East Corridor Fans group do maintain a tight lash, and that is not always a bad thing. There are some real immature blowhards around who don't seem to have a good sense of when to stop. Not suggesting anyone here meets that description, as should be obvious from my actions in the AU forum group. But yes, I have shut down a person or two on the AU forum group too from time to time, thought quite discreetly I might add, since none of you appear to have noticed. I usually curate and clean up the mess quickly.

Yes, I have had no problem with them. BTW, I was requested by three different people to throw Acela150 off the AU forum group on FB and I respectfully declined.

The folks on the North East Corridor Fans group do maintain a tight lash, and that is not always a bad thing. There are some real immature blowhards around who don't seem to have a good sense of when to stop. Not suggesting anyone here meets that description, as should be obvious from my actions in the AU forum group. But yes, I have shut down a person or two on the AU forum group too from time to time, thought quite discreetly I might add, since none of you appear to have noticed. I usually curate and clean up the mess quickly.
Well Thank you for that Jis.

The main reason I was tossed from the NEC page was over something really stupid IMO.. Was I being a bit of a jerk about it yes.. But it gets to a point where one person doesn't listen and then it blows up or someone gets their feelings hurt. It's a great group to be in.. Simply cause there is some decent info pushed around there.

I should add I have no clue the last time I've posted on the AU Facebook page. I get notifications when things are posted and that's about it.

Not that anybody here actually cares about looking at the leaves, but the foliage seems to be trending toward a peak that weekend.

10172016_lc.gif

The full report, and everything you want to know about leaves (and more), can be found at The Foliage Network.

Hmm, it appears there are no trees in Rhode Island.

Not that anybody here actually cares about looking at the leaves, but the foliage seems to be trending toward a peak that weekend.

attachicon.gif
10172016_lc.gif

The full report, and everything you want to know about leaves (and more), can be found at The Foliage Network.

Thank you Bill. I care about looking at leaves. :)

10172016_lc.gif

I am skeptical of that map, I would consider peak in VT to have been a full week prior to the 17th. Things are getting very bare up here.

attachicon.gif
10172016_lc.gif

Dave took all the trees with him when he moved to NY. :giggle:

You seem to have many not so well wishers of yours crawling in the woodworks :p
That's hard to imagine. :ph34r: :hi:
ROTFL!
BTW, as expected both days are now sold out. Of course there will be sporadic cancellations. So even if you don;t have a ticket, don't lose heart. Just keep trying. Maybe you will succeed in getting a ticket.

The requests came from people who are not even in the AU group! Go figure. You seem to have many not so well wishers of yours crawling in the woodworks :p
I've had people despise me for quite some time.. And it won't stop anytime soon.. I try my best to spit out facts. And if they don't like em.. That's their problem. :)

The requests came from people who are not even in the AU group! Go figure. You seem to have many not so well wishers of yours crawling in the woodworks :p
Probably that trainmaster he told off.
Feel free to be a railroader and then have a boss with no railroad experience tell you how to do your job.. Then you'll see things differently ;)

You seem to have many not so well wishers of yours crawling in the woodworks :p
That's hard to imagine. :ph34r: :hi:
ROFL!!

Which raises the question why is it that when you state facts people despise you whereas when others state facts they are not. Do you you only state despicable facts, or do you do so in a particularly despicable way? :p

Anyway, this subthread needs to move to a Random Discussion section methinks. Mods?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back