Amtrak Autumn Excursion 2016 - 10/29 & 30 - Confirmed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
*** Scene opens at Amtrak's tech facility ***

Senior IT Professional: "How do you make a foamer's head explode?"

Junior IT Professional: "I don't know. How?"

Senior IT Professional: "Like this." *evil grin as he deactivates ability to book on everything but the most obscure platform* "Enjoy your Monday, Bill!".

I booked mine and Betty's using a phone agent.

Quickest way at present is to use you Smartphone App, if you happen to have one that is. Took me a minute, or as long as it takes to type in the credit card info.

George Pitz just posted on Facebook that the issue with the website is being addressed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same problem, so I booked it by phone...I'll get the app later, for future use...

Still not working via the website; although the website is operational.

Booked my tix via the App, a pain since it only remembers my info. Had to type in all the info for my mom.

OK, I reserved for Saturday. If I end up not being able to go I'll get a voucher (I always end up using Amtrak vouchers, so that's fine.)

I suppose from Amtrak's point of view it's annoying if people cancel and want cash back, but if they just get Amtrak vouchers, hey, they end up occupying otherwise-empty space on some other train, and Amtrak still gets the money, so no loss... I'm glad Amtrak still has a generous voucher policy.

OK, I reserved for Saturday. If I end up not being able to go I'll get a voucher (I always end up using Amtrak vouchers, so that's fine.)

I suppose from Amtrak's point of view it's annoying if people cancel and want cash back, but if they just get Amtrak vouchers, hey, they end up occupying otherwise-empty space on some other train, and Amtrak still gets the money, so no loss... I'm glad Amtrak still has a generous voucher policy.
It is a great perk unless of course they cancel again last minute on a sold out train/class, thus inhibiting future sales. :p had this related issue when attempting an upgrade--and had to do a partial one--only to find out that there were indeed no shows (and the outstanding conductor made it whole).

Harrisburg line isn't rare mileage for me. Lol!!! I was qualified all the way to GI8 aka the Fuel Pad.
Good, then you need not go on this trip and make a potential seat available for someone for whom it is rare mileage :p
Lol!! I was never qualified on the Lehigh Line though. Once the train gets to Wyomissing its old news for me haha!!

Sorry, I read the article yesterday and forgot that it mentioned the speed. I still think that Harrisburg is the more likely location for the change. The article could be inaccurate (the Amtrak website says nothing about top speed) or it is also possible they could have non-Amfleet cars in the consist that restrict speed. In the past they have used Horizons. Business cars on the end are also possible.
All Horizons are good for 125mph. I wonder what American View is limited to. Maybe it is still 110.
Yeah, it is entirely possible that the loco change will be in Harrisburg.
The American View is still rated for 110mph. It is unlikely you'll see an engine change at HAR as the diesels are needed back in NYP for the next trip.

As long as we're speculating, what speed is Sandy Creek rated for?
If it travels over the NEC, it has to operate at 110mph.

Next year's excursion will be more geographically advantageous to you. Sources deep inside Amtrak tell me the 2017 Autumn Express will simply be a re-route of the Lake Shore Limited through Michigan. ;)
attachicon.gif
now_thats_funny-1967.gif

Harrisburg line isn't rare mileage for me. Lol!!! I was qualified all the way to GI8 aka the Fuel Pad.
Excellent. You'll act as a pilot...as one of the "volunteers."

A question for the insiders here...the blurb says the Autumn Express will follow the route of the "Queen of the Valley" so I assume it's going through Reading and Hershey to Harrisburg. Will it be turned on the Rockville Bridge (as in 2014) or on the NS bridge downtown? (FWIW, when Amtrak sent out the survey after the 2014 AE and asked for new routes, this was my top choice, except that I would have sent it down the Schuykill from Reading and onto the Trenton Cutoff.)
We'll know for sure in a few days, but I don't think it will turn on either. I believe they are planning to use the bridge that Amtrak uses to wye their trains at HAR.
Pleaseeeeeeee Volunteer as a Pilot??? Last time I got called for a pilot job all I did was sit in the second unit and eat my lunch. We had a RFE riding. So my throttle jockey acted as both the Engineer Pilot and Conductor Pilot. That was a quit job too.

I wonder how NYP will handle the boarding, compared with the previous years in Philly and Albany?

Any tips for securing an early boarding? The usual 'get a redcap'? Will AU people meet somewhere ahead of time?

I wonder how NYP will handle the boarding, compared with the previous years in Philly and Albany?

Any tips for securing an early boarding? The usual 'get a redcap'? Will AU people meet somewhere ahead of time?
I'll be arriving around 6:30 am (#150??) and have never been to NYP except passing through or doing a cross platform transfer, so it will be interesting to me. I expect to meet some fellow AUers somewhere.

It's NYP. It's a weekend early morning. Not much to worry about. Why worry about early boarding? I also think that you pull that get a red cap gig it'll cause a ruckus that's not worth it. Just get in line with the other buffs.

It's NYP. It's a weekend early morning. Not much to worry about. Why worry about early boarding? I also think that you pull that get a red cap gig it'll cause a ruckus that's not worth it. Just get in line with the other buffs.
Thank you for that helpful info...I sure would not want to "cause a ruckus"...

In anticipation I have just put a good first class round trip air reservation on hold for a week :) Hope we hear something concrete within a week. Otherwise I will have cycle another hold next week.
.... and I have a Silver Meteor reservation on hold.
As a long time Amtrak traveler I must be missing something. How do you make a reservation ? You can buy tickets and cancel them for a voucher but is that the way you reserve?

In anticipation I have just put a good first class round trip air reservation on hold for a week :) Hope we hear something concrete within a week. Otherwise I will have cycle another hold next week.
.... and I have a Silver Meteor reservation on hold.
As a long time Amtrak traveler I must be missing something. How do you make a reservation ? You can buy tickets and cancel them for a voucher but is that the way you reserve?
I speak to an agent and make a reservation and ask for a courtesy hold. Depending on the length of time between the reservation and travel, they may hold up to a week. You must phone back and pay for the reservation before it expires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back