Amtrak BidUp (Bidding for Upgrades - Business Class, First Class, and Sleepers)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't tried the bidding system yet. I wonder what effect it would have on the traditionally almost empty mid-January/February sleeping cars. Are there enough savvy coach customers to fill the cars?

Would also be interested to hear about successful low bids. I bet there is a sekrit minimum.
You would assume there is a secret minimum to at least cover laundry/ food costs associated with the room....

There is no secret minimum. When I booked an Acela, there was a minimum amount that the system would even let me bid to upgrade to first (i.e. I couldn’t bid $5, it was maybe $40-something, but I forgot). I forget if I actually took the bid or just let it go.

When I took my PGH-WAS-NYP-PGH trip earlier this month I tried Bid Up and got a message that my trip wasn't eligible. Ended up using my free upgrade on Acela, but was curious how that worked.
Were any of the fares from the 50th anniversary sale? I also think the system has difficulty with reservations with more than one segment.

Just received an e-mail from Amtrak asking if I wanted to Bid for an Upgrade from Coach to a Roomette or Bedroom for my Day trip in Coach on Monday 6/28 from Austin-Temple-Austin on #22/#21.

I used a $10 Voucher to pay for the trip ( used AGR and assisted by a very friendly and helpful Agent) along with the 10% Senior Discount so the total Cost RT is only $17, Low Bucket would be $30 RT.

The email says that a Suggested Bid for a Roomette starts @ $40 and a Roomette @ $90, and points out that this includes Meals in the Diner( CCC on this Route)which unfortunately are still Flex Food🤬

The only problem is that the Rooms are "SOLD OUT" on both Trains, so it's another case of the Left Hand not knowing what the Right is doing!

Has anyone else received this Robo email for their upcoming trips??

Update: Amtrak is now showing $125 as a " Strong Bid" for a Roomette and $215 as a "Strong Bid" for a Bedroom.

Still can't figure out how SOLD OUT Rooms are available for Bidding???🤑🤪

Last edited:
It’s probably just automatic or it’s in case they get a cancellation they can fill it with a bid up upgrade.

Yep - better to have bids that you don't need just in case someone cancels than to disable bidding and then have a room go unsold due to a late cancellation.

Has anyone else tried to bid for an upgrade on sale fares?

I have a bid submitted for a ride I booked with the 50% off sale, leaving Saturday. It was a pretty low bid-up to a roomette, but maybe it'll still win (there's at least 8 roomettes left on the train for the day trip I'm taking, and coach is almost sold out, so I'm hoping they'll sell as many bid-ups as possible as it'd let them free up coach seats.)

I did a bid for an upgrade I also got with the 50% sale, the trip is in mid August so.

Are either of those on multi-city or roundtrip reservations? I usually book each segment separately so it's easier to make changes later, but when I booked, I was running up against the deadline for the 50% off sale, so it's four segments on a multi-city reservation and I know some have reported that may be an issue.

Are either of those on multi-city or roundtrip reservations? I usually book each segment separately so it's easier to make changes later, but when I booked, I was running up against the deadline for the 50% off sale, so it's four segments on a multi-city reservation and I know some have reported that may be an issue.

Mine's a bog-standard one-way reservation, no round-trip or multi-city involved. That said, I took a peek at an October reservation that used multi-city, and that one does give an upgrade option for the eligible segment (there's only one eligible segment on the ticket, so I can't test if it breaks with multiple eligible segments.)

Mines a roundtrip reservation

We booked a round trip on the Downeaster for Monday July 5th (the best weather we are supposed to have of the long weekend).

I got the email asking if I want to place a Bid Up for the return trip (that train itself is almost sold out) to Business Class, I put a bid in, so
we shall see.

Ken

We booked a round trip on the Downeaster for Monday July 5th (the best weather we are supposed to have of the long weekend).

I got the email asking if I want to place a Bid Up for the return trip (that train itself is almost sold out) to Business Class, I put a bid in, so
we shall see.

Ken
Nice trip, one of my Favorites!😍

Is all the Rain over in the NE???

We're going to have a Rainy but Cool 4th Weekend down here, which is much Welcomed!😎

I have a multi-city reservation in September all coach with the 50% off sale and the trip is not available (at least not yet) for bidding.

Won a bid-up - $80 MSP - MKE in a roomette for tomorrow. Coach is sold out but still a number of roomettes available. Two of us on the ticket and the bid-up covered the upgrade for both of us (as it should.)
Great get!

And yall get Breakfast and Lunch in the Diner, with Real Food served!😎

So I just got an email that said I was eligible for Bid up, whatever that is, I am in a roomette and it said my bid up for bedroom would be 120, I don’t mind and would even go higher, on Crescent from NO to ATL and doing round trip back that Sunday .Is that reasonable ? Is that a good deal and how likely will I win this. I need help and guidance

Are you traveling alone?
I personally find the Roommette to be the best value aboard the Viewliner.

I would not bid up if it were me (assuming I’m traveling alone).

If you feel that it’s an amount you want to spend, do it! The Bedroom provides you an en-suite shower and a decently large bed that can fit two people.

how likely you win it is connected to how much you bid. Sometimes, it’s more worth it to just pay the upgrade. Other times, you can snag something for less (kind of like any auction).

I have always traveled in bedroom, even when alone except once with a friend to ATL in roomette, she had so much luggage and we came out of Slidell so no luggage check. I was miserable, she had large big luggage and I felt cramped. I just don’t think price they asking over 600 for NO to Atlanta is reasonable. Very high

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back