Amtrak BidUp (Bidding for Upgrades - Business Class, First Class, and Sleepers)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For daytime trips, I see no harm in offering the roomette as a daytime accommodation only - as long as this is clearly disclosed when you bid.
It is also clearly disclosed that you must wear a mask at all times, but people deny knowing it.
As soon as they get in the room and shut the door, it will be "Hmmm...How does the bed work?" and down comes the upper bunk...they pull down the mattress with the sheets made up and there you go....

ETA, It should either be all or nothing, imho....

It is also clearly disclosed that you must wear a mask at all times, but people deny knowing it.
As soon as they get in the room and shut the door, it will be "Hmmm...How does the bed work?" and down comes the upper bunk...they pull down the mattress with the sheets made up and there you go....

ETA, It should either be all or nothing, imho....
Concur. Two hurdles are "how do you differentiate a bid-up ticket from a normal one" (likely not possible) and if you somehow get over that, how do you enforce the "no beds" rule? Put a padlock on it? You're just setting attendants up for a different kind of conflict when they have to tell someone "no, I'm not putting the bed down for you".

Concur. Two hurdles are "how do you differentiate a bid-up ticket from a normal one" (likely not possible) and if you somehow get over that, how do you enforce the "no beds" rule? Put a padlock on it? You're just setting attendants up for a different kind of conflict when they have to tell someone "no, I'm not putting the bed down for you".
...or worse if the attendant does not put down the bed and the passenger attempts to do so and injures himself or herself. The beds in the V-2 sleepers are heavier and more difficult to move. In fact my SCA on Monday hurt himself making up a roomette (and he was not even in a hurry).

That's a very long winded way of saying, "Americans can be real jerks." Why do I doubt that this would be an issue in Japan, for example?

Covid probably plays a role into people wanting a room as well.
That's most definitely a factor; both for people worried about safety and who don't want to wear masks. I suspect alot of demand for day rooms will do down after the mask mandate expires. Other factors (like wanting more personal space) could be met with a reserved premium seated option.
That's a very long winded way of saying, "Americans can be real jerks." Why do I doubt that this would be an issue in Japan, for example?
Well, our legal system (especially how court costs and legal fees are determined) encourages and alor of frivolous litigation. Also Japan's only remaining trains with sleeping cars (aside from a luxury tourist train) only run overnight.

Lost my bid up for the EB leaving Seattle tomorrow, which is fine as we have a roomette. Interesting that there is still a bedroom absolve for purchase. So I wonder, do they have a minimum bid? (I bid low). Or do they keep one free for last minute? I assume it is all automated so I'm curious about the algorithm.

Airlines tend to withhold upgrades to the last remaining seat or two until the last moment before boarding. They are usually released for upgrade around the time actual boarding begins. At least on United, the way the information is presented, you pretty much know whether you will get an upgrade or not if the seat is not sold on a paid upgrade or a self standing ticket. In those situations, often I have just taken a paid upgrade if the price is reasonable, in order to jump the queue.

I have no idea how all this works at Amtrak since the whole thing appears to be much more opaque with zero visibility of the current state in an understandable and trustworthy fashion on a single dashboard.

When do you find out if your bid was successful? I bid for buinsess class for my family tomm thinking that might afford us a bit of a better chance to sit next to each other on a northeast regional from Connecticut to Back Bay tomm.

Thanks.

I'm very unhappy about the policy that won't allow me to cancel or change my ticket just because my bidup was accepted! Today my plans changed, and because the bidup had already been accepted from coach to roomette, Amtrak won't let me change my reservation at all. I understand that the "bid-up" amount is non-refundable, but there was an initial fare that I should be able to recoup and use to pay for a different ticket. There is no penalty for any changes on regular fares... except if your bidup is accepted the original regular fare becomes non-changeable. Ugh!

Now I have to buy a second ticket for the same trip.

I'm very unhappy about the policy that won't allow me to cancel or change my ticket just because my bidup was accepted! Today my plans changed, and because the bidup had already been accepted from coach to roomette, Amtrak won't let me change my reservation at all. I understand that the "bid-up" amount is non-refundable, but there was an initial fare that I should be able to recoup and use to pay for a different ticket. There is no penalty for any changes on regular fares... except if your bidup is accepted the original regular fare becomes non-changeable. Ugh!

Now I have to buy a second ticket for the same trip.
You should try calling Amtrak at 1-800-872-7245 or 800-307-5000.

Can anyone explain why my late-October trip on the Lake Shore Limited in a roomette is not eligible for BidUp? Do they only allow bidding closer to the departure date? The bedrooms are not sold out.

I've gone as long as 30 minutes before my trip still not being notified on whether my bid is accepted. That time I caved and canceled my bid, then used my upgrade coupon for Business.

Call me a cynic but this is starting to seem like free marketing data for Amtrak to find out how much people are willing to pay for business and sleepers.

I entered a bid from coach to a roomette for a trip in December, I just put the lowest possible bid, I'm okay if I don't get it.

I just entered it. Looking for an upgrade to a bedroom from a roomette. I think I made a fair bid.
Has anyone else entered this program? Has it worked for you?

We just tried BidUp from a roomette to a bedroom on a recent trip on the Meteor. Put in the lowest possible "fair" bid. It wasn't accepted. But that's just one experience. The train also seemed especially full in the sleepers.

Best of luck!

Any more recent experiences on upgrades? Wondering what the line is between Amtrak accepting a bid and rejecting a "poor" bid, thus leaving money on the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back