Amtrak California Zephyr Crossing Donner Pass - September 2021

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qapla

Engineer
The Roaming Railfan who has kept up-to-date with a number of very good Brightline videos has posted one of the CZ - much of the footage is from his drone with some added footage of a rail yard

Some very nice shots in there. The scene of the eastbound CZ going through the Summit snow sheds brought back happy memories of waiting to see if we would go through the "new" tunnel or the original more scenic "over the top" line. The splitting point was in the shed. The "over the top" line is long gone, but can be seen as a dirt road.

When I lived in San Francisco, I must have done the Reno round trip a dozen times. Would get a room at the Circus Circus. Back then they would put you up in a perfectly decent room for about $50, presuming you would gamble all night. Needless to say, I didn't, but I usually took in the show. Made a nice date trip for a 28 year old!

Some very nice shots in there. The scene of the eastbound CZ going through the Summit snow sheds brought back happy memories of waiting to see if we would go through the "new" tunnel or the original more scenic "over the top" line. The splitting point was in the shed. The "over the top" line is long gone, but can be seen as a dirt road.

When I lived in San Francisco, I must have done the Reno round trip a dozen times. Would get a room at the Circus Circus. Back then they would put you up in a perfectly decent room for about $50, presuming you would gamble all night. Needless to say, I didn't, but I usually took in the show. Made a nice date trip for a 28 year old!

Reno is a great stop on the CZ. Done it several times. I usually stay at the Sands,a short walk.If coming Westbound and the train is on time you get in about 8:30AM. The hotel will usually hold your luggage until check in. Mel's Diner is at the hotel. They have a steak and eggs breakfast for $10.

It's still very visible on Apple Maps too.

Back