Amtrak cancels Sleeper reservation on the Cardinal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteypablo

Train Attendant
Some members of my family are riding the Cardinal on June 16. One of them, who had Roomette 12 reserved, received notification. today that his ticket had been canceled and he needed to call in to tell them what he wanted to do. No one else in the family received this notice. Guest Rewards told me that the sleeper was being dropped from the train, but that everyone else in the sleeper still had a reservation. Guest Rewards also said that there was no one in Roomette 12 on the next train. The family member was told that everyone else would be notified in due course.

I think what really happened is that a Viewliner I is being replaced by a Viewliner 2, which has one less roomette. He just happened to be the one in the deleted roomette. What do you guys think?

Some members of my family are riding the Cardinal on June 16. One of them, who had Roomette 12 reserved, received notification. today that his ticket had been canceled and he needed to call in to tell them what he wanted to do. No one else in the family received this notice. Guest Rewards told me that the sleeper was being dropped from the train, but that everyone else in the sleeper still had a reservation. Guest Rewards also said that there was no one in Roomette 12 on the next train. The family member was told that everyone else would be notified in due course.

I think what really happened is that a Viewliner I is being replaced by a Viewliner 2, which has one less roomette. He just happened to be the one in the deleted roomette. What do you guys think?
I think your guess is correct. In fact Viewliner IIs have two fewer rooms available for selling than Viewliner Is. One of the room's space is occupied by the two public toilets and the second room is blocked for linen etc. storage since they forgot to have those in the new cars for some completely inexplicable reason.

But, OTOH, since they are selling rooms in the Bag-Dorm, I would have imagined that such displaced passengers would get first dibs on those rooms, but then again it is Amtrak. :confused:

Viewliner II Sleeper coming to the Cardinal, but they are also going to be selling roomette space in the Viewliner Bagg-Dorm. That's NEW capacity being added technically. The Viewliner Bagg-Dorm has 9 (nine) roomettes, of which only three or so would be needed for the onboard crew (one LSA, coach attendant, and lets say another LSA). Moreover, the Viewliner Bagg-Dorm has the necessary storage that the Viewliner II Sleeper doesn't have. So they could re-open the booking for roomette 11. Not sure why someone who had been booked in a Viewliner I's room 11 or 12 couldn't have been moved over to the Viewliner Bagg-Dorm six roomettes that are to be for sale. They couldn't have sold out that fast!

Yes, this happened to me likewise booked into room 12 to depart on June 2nd. Two days prior I checked the mobile app and found I had lost the QR along with a disclaimer that "service was unavailable". A call to agent at first could not explain but after some consultation with others decided there had been an "equipment change" and we were downgraded to coach. I received no advance warning of this change.
By watching the availability of booking online, I saw a room open, called, and was booked into room 7 at the original price (which had been refunded). And yes, I believe it was a Viewliner II.
It all worked out, but it was a hassle with little help from Amtrak.

I think the moral of this story is not to accept RM 12 while Viewliner II's are being phased in.
Actually if one want to proactively avoid some roomette assignments in anticipation of possible Viewliner II substitution, one should avoid both 12 and 11, since in Viewliner IIs Roomette 11 is often blocked for storage.

Last edited:
Actually if one want to proactively avoid some roomette assignments in anticipation of possible Viewliner II substitution, one should avoid both 12 and 11, since in Viewliner IIs Roomette 11 is often blocked for storage.
Right, that makes it simple. Don't accept any roomette number higher than 10 on any train.
Edit: Oops, see below😊

Last edited:
Somewhat baffled by this given them selling rooms in the bag dorm. Why the people in those two rooms wouldn’t automatically get moved to the bag dorm.
They added the Bag Dorm before they changed the 5000/5100 car to a VL2. Therefore, people could’ve bought the space they had already sold out before Amtrak had to cancel their room.

They added the Bag Dorm before they changed the 5000/5100 car to a VL2. Therefore, people could’ve bought the space they had already sold out before Amtrak had to cancel their room.
True but wasn’t the start of selling rooms in the bag dorm recent? I would imagine the decision to sell in the bag dorm was made concurrently to the switch to a V2.

Amtrak seems to have gone the other way with my July 11 reservation- they UPgraded me from Roomette to the accessible bedroom. I originally had room 5. I made the reservation 12/31. My guess is I may have been the first reservation, the bedroom was available, so they moved me and put someone who would have been bumped to Coach in my room. Hey, if they want to give me a free upgrade I’m not gonna complain.

Amtrak seems to have gone the other way with my July 11 reservation- they UPgraded me from Roomette to the accessible bedroom. I originally had room 5. I made the reservation 12/31. My guess is I may have been the first reservation, the bedroom was available, so they moved me and put someone who would have been bumped to Coach in my room. Hey, if they want to give me a free upgrade I’m not gonna complain.
saxpower: I am the guy who has upgraded from a roomette to the H bedroom on the Crescent often for the last 20 years when it was available to non-ADA passengers. I always consider it the very best sleeper space on the train, i.e. in the Viewliner I. The Viewliner II not so much so because of the different configuration, i.e. toilet out in the open in the room. Of course the space was properly designed for ADA passengers as it should be, but less desirable to non-ADA passengers like me. Take a look at the diagram and photos available so you won't be surprised. Of course all bedrooms have a lot more space and the private shower that does the roomette.

Amtrak709- Actually, I posted about the situation previously (from a "can this be right" perspective as a free upgrade seemed odd, especially to the accessible room), and we also discussed it there. I'll report back after the trip (or during the time I'm at my destination (Springfield, IL) for a few days). From what I've seen from videos, the V II acessible bedroom includes a privacy curtian in case you have more than one person in the room and some is using the facilities. If having the toilet "in the room" bugs me I'll just draw the curtian (I'm travelling alone so its not going to really get in the way). When I initially booked the Roomette I expected to be on a V I, which also had an in-room toilet and was somewhat divided as to which I preferred (having the toilet in room DID have benefit of not having to run down the hall if I needed to use it in the middle of the night, although that would not have been an issue in the V I acessible bedroom even if the toilet was not out in the "living area").

Amtrak709- Actually, I posted about the situation previously (from a "can this be right" perspective as a free upgrade seemed odd, especially to the accessible room), and we also discussed it there. I'll report back after the trip (or during the time I'm at my destination (Springfield, IL) for a few days). From what I've seen from videos, the V II acessible bedroom includes a privacy curtian in case you have more than one person in the room and some is using the facilities. If having the toilet "in the room" bugs me I'll just draw the curtian (I'm travelling alone so its not going to really get in the way). When I initially booked the Roomette I expected to be on a V I, which also had an in-room toilet and was somewhat divided as to which I preferred (having the toilet in room DID have benefit of not having to run down the hall if I needed to use it in the middle of the night, although that would not have been an issue in the V I acessible bedroom even if the toilet was not out in the "living area").
It's a matter of aesthetics. The VL II Accessible Bedroom has a full-sized toilet and a sink in the room, as opposed to the miniaturized toilet hidden under a cover in the VL I Roomette. Some people might find that somewhat off-putting, feeling like they're riding in a bathroom. Doesn't bother me personally.

OTOH, the dedicated shower works well as a luggage closet.

Back