Amtrak Cascades Resvervation / Scored a cheap ticket EB/CL using Amsnag

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinnaker

Lead Service Attendant
Wow thank goodness for AmSnag.  I as able to book a ticket from SEA to PGH for only $620 + $40 for my bike in July.   With my $250 voucher that is only $410 for a cross country trip!   I don't think I could fly much cheaper.

I still need to book my Vancouver, WA to  Seattle leg.  I will be riding my bicycle from Government Camp to Vancouver.   Catch the train to Olympia then spend a couple of days in the area before getting on the EB.  I should be able to make the train that day but not 100% certain.    But if I don't make it that day then saty over in Vancouver then just take the train the next morning.

I am not too worried about me getting on to coach but I am a little worried about the bike.   The Cascades has 10 slots so I would think there would be enough spots.   My thinking is to watch the slots up until the last minute and then make reservations accordingly.

Any thoughts on that plan?

I don't have any input on your question, but what you are asking about (bikes on the Cascades) is not really reflected in the thread title. You may get better responses with a different title. In any case, good luck! The ride from Government Camp down the mountain should be a fun one. For added fun I guess you could start up at Timberline Lodge.

I don't have any input on your question, but what you are asking about (bikes on the Cascades) is not really reflected in the thread title. You may get better responses with a different title. In any case, good luck! The ride from Government Camp down the mountain should be a fun one. For added fun I guess you could start up at Timberline Lodge.
May I ask what day of the week and train numbers/time of departures you're looking at?

The ride from Government Camp down the mountain should be a fun one. For added fun I guess you could start up at Timberline Lodge.
Yes but I need to ride up to Government Camp from Hood River. ;)

Supposedly there is an excursion train to Parkdale.  Trying to find out if it runs on Fridays in the summer.  That will get me part of the way at least.

I plan on leaving Vancouver  either the late afternoon of 7/6/2019 or first train on 7/7.

Weekends are certainly more likely to have higher bike reservations, especially during the summer, which is peak season for the Cascades. If you're talking about the 3:18pm departure (Cascades train 518) I guarantee you that train will be at least 75% sold out on either day, making it tough. At 4:16pm you could do the Starlight, but they have a much higher passenger capacity.

Honestly, I've never seen more than 5 bikes in the bag car, but that's going Seattle to Vancouver BC during the cruise season. I'd be very hesitant of booking or changing tickets last minute when you have a bike involved, at least at that time of the year anyway.

(Random note, train 508 at 7:38pm would be your best bet overall.)

Weekends are certainly more likely to have higher bike reservations, especially during the summer, which is peak season for the Cascades. If you're talking about the 3:18pm departure (Cascades train 518) I guarantee you that train will be at least 75% sold out on either day, making it tough. At 4:16pm you could do the Starlight, but they have a much higher passenger capacity.

Honestly, I've never seen more than 5 bikes in the bag car, but that's going Seattle to Vancouver BC during the cruise season. I'd be very hesitant of booking or changing tickets last minute when you have a bike involved, at least at that time of the year anyway.

(Random note, train 508 at 7:38pm would be your best bet overall.)
I think I might just buy a ticket ahead of time.   I will probably leave from Portland as I could take MAX right into town on one train from Gresham.    I certainly should be able to make it in Gresham in time to make a MAX to arrive before 3PM.    I might even make the noon train but that would be pushing things.

If I miss the 3PM then I will just deal with it somehow.

Back