Amtrak changed my accommodation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My trip is today from Orlando on a late 98 and trying to get my connection 49. Hopefully i make it lol

Hello

Yes the top part is accurate. ORL 98 to 49 today. As of right now, i have a bedroom on the 49
Good luck. I hope all goes well for you. The late 98 will give you a little more time in Orlando to enjoy our almost record heat today. Orlando is a quiet zone for train horns, but sometimes I hear them since I live within a mile of the tracks. If I hear your train, I will "wave" virtually.

You may never know the reason you were downgraded, so just try to enjoy the trip. I assume you are receiving a partial refund.

Hello

If i know I'm going to miss the 49 train and can make 29. Am i allowed to jump off at WAS and buy another ticket to CHI? Or am i stuck on the train to NYP?
I would speak to the conductor tomorrow if it appears that 98 will miss the connection in NYP. The conductor is in a position to know who on his or her train will have connections that may be missed. If it is clear you (and likely many others) will miss the connection, the conductor will do his or her best to rebook you (at no extra cost). If you jump the gun and purchase another ticked on another train, you may be out the cost of that ticket.

I have had mixed luck with conductors accommdating connecting passengers on late trains. It is way too soon now to know if 98 will lose more time or make up time.

My guess is your original car was bad ordered (needed to be removed for repairs). I do know that 98(24) left Miami late due to 97(22) arriving late and the crew needing to rest. 97(22) was caught up in the north NJ shutdown due to brush fire.
But don't they keep spares in MIA? Many times in the past we've seen a VL II swapped in to replace a VL I, which would affect Roomette availability, but not bedrooms.

OP was notified last night; would that be enough time to make a swap?

Could it be just that one bedroom being bad-ordered, and the car staying in the consist?

I'd call now. The call center is going to more help to you than the conductor in any case. Since it is a weekday, you might want to try to go to Customer Relations.

I am not advising you to book another ticket, but rather discuss the situation and possibly get your current reservation changed over to the Capitol.

On the other hand, the Meteor is still "detrain only" once past Richmond and may make up considerable time on the Corridor.

Some reason, I though they need to change engine at WAS because of the tunnels into NYP?
Yes they do change engines at Washington DC. The process takes about 20 minutes. And after that they "fly" down the corridor at 110mph. With discharge only they don't have to wait for their designated amount of stoppage. They can get on their way as soon as the station work is done. There is quite a bit of padding in the schedule, not only on the NEC but all the way between Orlando and Washington DC too.

Last edited:
I’m guessing this was a last minute car removal due to a bad order if your trip was today. 97(22) being ridiculously late due to the fire probably didn’t help. If you don’t mind me asking - how many sleepers are on the train? That might offer some clues as to what happened. Is there just a 10 and 12 car?

It is the continuation of a pattern of removing sleepers with sold inventory due to lack of serviceable equipment that has gone on for two years.

My advice to only accept bookings in "base" sleepers now extends to eastern trains,

This is a short term cancellation - not the same thing as what you are referring to. And 9811 is not a base sleeper. This is probably a last minute equipment issue.

What you are referring to is a less than anticipated sleeper availability for a consist planning seasonal period that results in them having to cut back a consist. They don’t do that kind of thing day to day. Not defending it - obviously it shouldn’t happen. But just merely pointing out it doesn’t appear it’s the same as this.

I know the 97 was 7hr late into Miami. So i though that might have caused the delay. the txt msg was crew change anf setup
Now that you are getting close to boarding, it would certainly be interesting to see if the car is physically present in the consist, and also to hear the scuttlebutt on what happened from the train crew. Do report back on those if you get a chance. We are all curious.

I'll play it out and see how it goes. Hopefully i don't have to fly back because i have to work on Monday. So if i miss the connection. Moght have to fly back. Is ORL-NYP-CHI a guarantee connection? would they refund me the miss train and try to find a flight or would they book the next day train with a hotel stay in NYP?

I'll play it out and see how it goes. Hopefully i don't have to fly back because i have to work on Monday. So if i miss the connection. Moght have to fly back. Is ORL-NYP-CHI a guarantee connection? would they refund me the miss train and try to find a flight or would they book the next day train with a hotel stay in NYP?
Yes. It is a guaranteed connection if it is on the same itinerary (PNR). It is actually quite a long layover around 4 hours give or take. If they think you are likely to miss that connection they will try to accommodate you on the Cap. Just call them when things look a little more likely that you will miss the connection. Right now there is little evidence that you will. Tomorrow early morning would probably be the right time unless it becomes obvious earlier than that that the train will be more than 4 hours late.

Now that you are getting close to boarding, it would certainly be interesting to see if the car is physically present in the consist, and also to hear the scuttlebutt on what happened from the train crew. Do report back on those if you get a chance. We are all curious.
First VR railcam is Folkston GA early tomorrow morning tonight. Wish we had a railcam to capture both SM & SS in FL.

Last edited:
This is a short term cancellation - not the same thing as what you are referring to. And 9811 is not a base sleeper. This is probably a last minute equipment issue.

What you are referring to is a less than anticipated sleeper availability for a consist planning seasonal period that results in them having to cut back a consist. They don’t do that kind of thing day to day. Not defending it - obviously it shouldn’t happen. But just merely pointing out it doesn’t appear it’s the same as this.
I'll still stick to base sleepers until at least next March.

If the car serving in the 9811car line was bad ordered at the last minute, that is one thing. If they had systematically withdrawn it after having sold space, like the 32 car line on Zephyr, and the 31 car line on the SW Chief and the Builder, it is another thing entirely. With just one single report there is no way of knowing one way or the other. BTW, I specifically said I did know what the "base" sleepers were on the eastern trains. I'd guess it would be the 10 car line on the Meteor if patterns hold, but that would just be a guess.

Had Amtrak not already established of practice of systematically withdrawing car lines after having sold space in them, and even doing so in peak periods, I would have assumed a simple, one time unexpected bad order, which is what I would have assumed three years ago. Now, well, the report is identical to the initial reports that came in that were symptoms of wholesale car line withdrawals on the Builder, the Zephyr and the SW Chief. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it isn't out of line to assume it's a duck. Especially since Amtrak now has a well established pattern of producing ducks.

It takes years to build a reputation and no time at all to destroy one. Amtrak has certainly destroyed theirs for reliability in providing accommodations purchased.

I'll still stick to base sleepers until at least next March.

If the car serving in the 9811car line was bad ordered at the last minute, that is one thing. If they had systematically withdrawn it after having sold space, like the 32 car line on Zephyr, and the 31 car line on the SW Chief and the Builder, it is another thing entirely. With just one single report there is no way of knowing one way or the other. BTW, I specifically said I did know what the "base" sleepers were on the eastern trains. I'd guess it would be the 10 car line on the Meteor if patterns hold, but that would just be a guess.

Had Amtrak not already established of practice of systematically withdrawing car lines after having sold space in them, and even doing so in peak periods, I would have assumed a simple, one time unexpected bad order, which is what I would have assumed three years ago. Now, well, the report is identical to the initial reports that came in that were symptoms of wholesale car line withdrawals on the Builder, the Zephyr and the SW Chief. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it isn't out of line to assume it's a duck. Especially since Amtrak now has a well established pattern of producing ducks.

It takes years to build a reputation and no time at all to destroy one. Amtrak has certainly destroyed theirs for reliability in providing accommodations purchased.
Since the OP got the message late last night or early this morning, I would say it was a last minute bad ordered car.

Maybe 9811 is being deadheaded? Though I guess they have to let 9812 people walk through it. See if there are any passengers in it,
Also check what is the status of your previous room. Maybe someone booked an A-B suite paying mucho dinero 😬

I doubt they would deadhead a car in the middle of a consist.

Back