Amtrak conductor fatality in Westerly RI incident

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Passengers from 163 have been transferred to late running 135. One of our friends was due to catch 163 at Old Saybrook. He will be on 135 he says, though from New Haven, as he apparently jumped the gun and took Uber to New Haven.

Last edited:
Passengers from 163 have been transferred to late running 135. One of our friends was due to catch 163 at Old Saybrook. He will be on 135 he says, though from New Haven, as he apparently jumped the gun and took Uber to New Haven.
The last I heard from him, he stated that135 will be in New Haven at 5:30 and he is hoping to secure a seat anywhere (even though he was booked in BC on 163).
Edit to add that he is aboard 135 and departed NHV in BC.

How does this happen?

The amfleet equipment has a sliding door - it’s common for the conductors to leave that door open as the trains depart and they lean out watching the train and the platform. It could be the conductor slipped and fell?

Obviously a very very tragic accident. :(

It also should be noted that Conductors / brakeman routinely ride on the end of cars / equipment during freight moves.

The practice of leaning out an open door is not something unusual in railroading.

I just wanted to make sure that my above post wasn’t implying an unsafe or unusual practice.

I can tell you this much. The Amtrak Family and especially the Zone 1 Crew Bases are in mourning.

I will say that my heart is in pain for my Amtrak family who are mourning.

And not shockingly a certain person on another railfanning forum has released an internal document that addresses the incident. This individual who has a history of releasing internal documents has some folks upset. All I can say about that, is that in my opinion this individual has no respect for the incident, let alone the fact that a family lost someone they love.

I don't know Amtrak procedure, but the MTA railroads (LIRR and MN) and the NYC subway procedure is that the conductor does not open the door or window to look outside the train on pulling into a station; they do so when leaving.

I don't know Amtrak procedure, but the MTA railroads (LIRR and MN) and the NYC subway procedure is that the conductor does not open the door or window to look outside the train on pulling into a station; they do so when leaving.
In stations with short platforms a Conductor will often open the door to provide direction as to where they want the train stopped.

In stations with short platforms a Conductor will often open the door to provide direction as to where they want the train stopped.
They do it at NRK (Newark, DE) for spotting as there are a few "crossovers" along the track for pax to walk on to board/detrain.

Actually, fall protection tie off requirements under OSHA on jobsites start at 6 feet. much lower than most people realize.

My son at BNSF (MOW) just had a fall protection class yesterday and told me they now have to follow OSHA requirements (6 feet) rather than FRA requirements (12 feet) for fall protection.

Interesting. I worked in electrical construction, there was no gray area. We all take OSHA 30, and I heard it again in "Supported Scaffold" safety cert. I teach PV and alternative energy, I even have a question on the final exam where 6 foot is the correct answer. OSHA usually defers to other Federal agencies when they exercise jurisdiction over an industry. I wonder if operating and MOW are treated separately?

"The assistant conductor and the train engineer exited the train"

The engineer is allowed to get out of the cab in dire situations like this?

The engineer is required by rule to step out of the cab at each station stop when practical to inspect the pantograph.

Should the engineer be required to leave the cab of the locomotive their are rules in place regarding securing the train. It's not uncommon.

Back