Amtrak Credit Card benefits

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coalman

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
FYI I just found out that the Amtrak Mastercard Platinum does NOT protect against shipping claims which means if a package is lost or stolen in transit and carrier in my case USPS documented delivery to my mailbox there is no insurance coverage. Apparently, other credit cards provide this service called shipping protection.

FYI I just found out that the Amtrak Mastercard Platinum does NOT protect against shipping claims which means if a package is lost or stolen in transit and carrier in my case USPS documented delivery to my mailbox there is no insurance coverage. Apparently, other credit cards provide this service called shipping protection.
You don't happen to live in an apartment that has Amazon lockers do you? I shipped a package to my daughter and the USPS said it was delivered. However, there was no key in her mailbox (for access to a locker). Took about a week before we found out that they had delivered it to an Amazon lockbox in her building and they, nor the apartment management, bothered to tell her that was where it was delivered and that she needed to get the code from the apartment management to retrieve her package. I would never have thought USPS would deliver to an Amazon lockbox.

I've never seen "shipping protection", but I have a few cards with purchase protection, which is supposed to reimburse you if a purchased item is stolen or damaged. They exclude "mysterious disappearance", I don't know whether that would apply to lost in shipping.

I thought the seller was responsible until the item was in your possession. Did Amazon deny replacement?

I thought the seller was responsible until the item was in your possession. Did Amazon deny replacement?
OP didn't say where the shipment came from. I'm the one who mentioned Amazon...and Amazon had nothing to do with my shipment (I shipped it) though USPS used Amazon's locker.

I've never seen "shipping protection", but I have a few cards with purchase protection, which is supposed to reimburse you if a purchased item is stolen or damaged. They exclude "mysterious disappearance", I don't know whether that would apply to lost in shipping.

Purchase protection should cover this if you file a police report for a reported theft. That said, the "current" (not open for application at this time) AGR cards do not offer this protection. I don't know if a chargeback would be advisable in this case - BoA isn't terribly customer-centric with those so with the proof of delivery from USPS it might just be a waste of time.

USPS does have an option to report mail theft as well - start here: Email Us. It would start a trail and the USPS can refer the theft to the US Postal Inspection Service if need be. May not get OP's package back but at least worth a try and could help identify a larger issue.

Documented delivery is a scam - especially if it relates to Amazon. For one Christmas delivery to me, they documented they had handed it to resident - when we were out of the house! Worse, Amazon would not tell me who the driver supposedly handed it to because one neighbor said he hadn't gotten it and the one on the other side is gone for 6 months (snowbirds). I eventually found the package sitting on the front porch of the absent neighbor - so the driver lied. He obviously can only have handed it to the Ghost of Christmas Presents [bad pun]. Every other email about delivery dropped off had a picture of the package by my front door. I guess he couldn't stick around or was afraid of ghosts.

Documented delivery is a scam - especially if it relates to Amazon. For one Christmas delivery to me, they documented they had handed it to resident - when we were out of the house! Worse, Amazon would not tell me who the driver supposedly handed it to because one neighbor said he hadn't gotten it and the one on the other side is gone for 6 months (snowbirds). I eventually found the package sitting on the front porch of the absent neighbor - so the driver lied. He obviously can only have handed it to the Ghost of Christmas Presents [bad pun]. Every other email about delivery dropped off had a picture of the package by my front door. I guess he couldn't stick around or was afraid of ghosts.
I've heard of stories where they'll take the picture and then take the package back. :eek:

I live in an apartment with a new security system where they have to call me and I can let them in using my phone. Between my HoH ears (when I have my processors on) and the fact that my phone has "silenced unknown number" even though I put the number in my contacts (though when I test it it works fine), I'm going to start using an Amazon "locker" (Rite Aid - on a shelf behind the counter). I already use Walgreens for FedEx packages.

Back