Amtrak Crescent Derailed

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zepherdude

OBS Chief
Was watching CNN at 0300 PST and a quick mention of Amtrak leaving the tracks with 200 passengers on board. Maybe 7 cars left the tracks but still standing upright. No major injuries mentioned and buses were called to transfer passengers forward. That is all I heard and nothing mentioned on any online network as of now.

I am sure more will be available as the day goes on.

Wow - strange picture in gdj's link of people being taken off the train through the baggage car, which caught me off guard at first until I realized that the door of the baggage car ended up in a grade crossing, which makes the most sense for having stable ground to disembark.

I'm riding this line at the end of December, so I sure hope they figure it out. :)

Looks like 19 got past the derailment site and is on its way to NOL about 2 hours behind schedule.

Question is what will they do for 19 departing New York tomorrow. Maybe run a Coach only train? Looks like the Sleepers are off the track in the derailment, so depending on the damage to the running gear, the trucks will probably need some attention before they can be put back in general service.

The fact that they were able to restore HEP and restore power after the derailment suggests that the damage is probably minimal.

I am riding this as well in the near future so hopefully nothing bad happens. Will they bus all the way to New York?

Train 20 Annulled Near Spartanburg, S.C. Crescent passengers provided alternate transportation

Nov. 25, 2013

5:30 a.m. ET

Train 20, the Amtrak Crescent, operating from New Orleans to New York, became disabled at about 12 midnight ET this morning, near Spartanburg, S.C. There were no serious injuries reported by the 207 passengers or 11 train crew members, when seven of the nine cars on the train lost contact with the track. All of the cars remained upright, as did the two locomotives.

Heat, lighting and other systems were quickly reestablished aboard the train, with meals and other refreshments provided to the passengers. Amtrak chartered buses to carry the passengers to their destinations.

Train 20, which left New Orleans on Sunday morning and was due in New York City this afternoon, is annulled at the location. Passengers at Train 20’s scheduled stops between Spartanburg and New York are being provided alternate transportation on other Amtrak trains or chartered buses.

The cause of the incident will be investigated by Amtrak and Norfolk Southern, which owns, controls, maintains and dispatches this portion of the Crescent’s route, and the Federal Railroad Administration.

Passengers who have paid but choose not to travel due to this service disruption can receive a refund or a voucher for future travel. Some reservations booked online can be modified or canceled on Amtrak.com or by using the free Amtrak mobile app.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com/alerts for Service Alerts and Passenger Notices. Schedule information and train status updates are available at the Amtrak.com home page.

The cars "lost contact with the track" or in other words, the train derailed.

Just being a snit over here, but... "lost contact with the tracks"? I am reaching here to say that a plane crash, "lost contact with the air". The cars are all upright, and all is well from what I can see.. but... that is still so cute. The cars have decided to meander away from the normal tracks. They should be back here shortly, we appreciate your patience!. (Not trying to make light of a serious situation, but from all sources, it seems to not be.)

Not trying to make light of a serious situation, but from all sources, it seems to not be.
And for that, many people should be quite grateful. The LAST thing anyone needs or wants is a serious derailment, especially during Thanksgiving week when passenger counts are highest and attention would be most intense, due to the cascading troubles that will follow. Death and injury is just nasty (especially in a rural, remote location with sparse emergency services,) not to mention it is of no surprise that Amtrak simply could not afford to loose a single revenue service piece of rolling stock these days.

Just being a snit over here, but... "lost contact with the tracks"? I am reaching here to say that a plane crash, "lost contact with the air". The cars are all upright, and all is well from what I can see.. but... that is still so cute. The cars have decided to meander away from the normal tracks. They should be back here shortly, we appreciate your patience!. (Not trying to make light of a serious situation, but from all sources, it seems to not be.)
You are well behind the times on terminology for plane "crashes". The common phrases are "uncontrolled descent into terrain" or "uncontrolled flight into terrain" and the accompanying term "controlled flight into terrain" for when the pilot or crew flies the plane into a mountain, ground, water.

Ok, so the memo must have said "derailment" is out, "lost contact with the tracks" is now to be used.

They actually call it a "Controlled flight into terrain" the plane was under control of the pilot, albeit off course, but it is called a controlled flight into terrain.

This virtually defines minor in derailments. The track was probably back in service in a matter of a few hours. For Amtrak resumption of service is more of an equipment availability problem than anything else. I would be inclined to suspect that the busing was no further than Washington DC with placement on anything with seats available beyond there.

I like the Public Relations term "lost contact."
It sounds better than derailed, because, I think, most people will hear derailed and think the train landed on it's side or worse (crumpled up against other cars or barriers).
This. I was on a sleeper that "derailed" (the track was icy, it went a little off center, but I didn't realize it had derailed until the attendant made us move from the car).

I dined out a few times on my "I was on a train that derailed and I'm still alive!" story. Most people think derailment always looks like what Gomez Addams did with his train set.

This virtually defines minor in derailments. The track was probably back in service in a matter of a few hours. For Amtrak resumption of service is more of an equipment availability problem than anything else. I would be inclined to suspect that the busing was no further than Washington DC with placement on anything with seats available beyond there.
Exactly, and if my hopes hold true as per media reporting, it is nothing more than a minor issue. During my research the last few months on train accidents, it seems normally, even sometimes in the case of a minor "fairy kissed lift from the rails" It really messes up the Ties, and track bed. I am amazed at the speed they get these back up and running. My hat is off. :hi:

So an airplane will no longer "crash", but rather it will "lose contact with the air"?

Or more accurately make contact with Terra-firma in an unplanned and uncontrolled way. It will still maintain some contact with air throughout the process. Just like notwithstanding Amtrak's idiotic statement, the train continues to keep in contact with the track preventing other trains from using same.

Ok, so the memo must have said "derailment" is out, "lost contact with the tracks" is now to be used.
Lost contact with rail might be more accurate. They'd have to take a mighty leap to lose contact with track, and it would be way uglier than this one is.

Last edited by a moderator:
To add another transportation industry to our list of euphemisms, rockets don't explode, they undergo an unanticipated disassembly.

All of the wheels on the cars that derailed will have to be changed out before the cars go back into service.
I am curious, how big are the wheel assemblies? I have been all over the internet, and seen the Amtrak photos, of "wheels with the flat spots repaired" But there is no person in the photo to give perspective. They look pretty massive from what I can see, I would guess about 2.5-3 feet from rail to waist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back