Amtrak Crew Base Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any leeway on the requirement to live within 2 hours of the crew base? Say 2 hours 15minutes?

No. I can tell you from personal experience that the 2 hour call is best used for Showering, Packing a Lunch, and getting to work. When I would get my call that's exactly what I would do. Let's say I got called at 4 to be at work at 6. My ride to work was 20-30 minutes. At 515 I was out the door and at work about 545. Leaving me 15 minutes early. Which is what you should be. Walk in late you're opening a can of worms you don't want to open. And if you're late enough on your probation period they'll fire you for it. My suggestion is to live about 45 Minutes to an Hour away from your crew base.  

Is there any leeway on the requirement to live within 2 hours of the crew base? Say 2 hours 15minutes?
Yes, there is leeway. There is no stipulation on where you live but you may be required to report to work within two hours notice if you work on call. There are plenty of people that live more than two hours away.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of them....and eventually, they will hold jobs...but you start somewhere and you live where you live which is why there are plenty of people that worked the extra list that lived more than two hours away. If you want to go extreme, there was a guy that lived in Ohio and worked the zone 5 west extra list. He had his on  personal plane so if they called him, he'd fly in.  I also knew a guy who got furloughed from Harrisburg. He brought his boat to Annapolis for the week and went home on the weekends.

You need to read the OP's original question. He asked if there was leeway on the requirement to  live within 2 hours of the crew base. The answer is yes, since that is not an actual requirement.

CGChief said:
As far as when you start out, it's rough, but it's doable. If you're applying for an OBS job you could typically handle the 2:15 commute with being on call, because they generally try to call with your assignment the day before. Conductors/engineers are the day of the assignment, typically no more than 3 hours in advance, depending on the crew base.
Once you have a regular schedule, you can do whatever you please, as long as you're there on time.

I live a 6 hour (train/subway) commute from my crew base. We have someone who flies from Las Vegas to Seattle to work the Empire Builder. There's someone who flies from Portland to LA to work the Starlight.

The trick is to convince the people doing the interview (if you make it to that point) why they should take a chance on you making it to work on time.

For what craft?

I was not aware that an employee's craft made a difference.  I would be interested in learning about those who serve as SCA, LSA, other staff in the diners and lounge cars, and attendants in the Coaches.

I was not aware that an employee's craft made a difference.  I would be interested in learning about those who serve as SCA, LSA, other staff in the diners and lounge cars, and attendants in the Coaches.
Even some trains are based out of different cities.

The Crescent used to have (maybe still) the SCA based out of NY but the Dining Car based out of NO.

A lot of them....and eventually, they will hold jobs...but you start somewhere and you live where you live which is why there are plenty of people that worked the extra list that lived more than two hours away. If you want to go extreme, there was a guy that lived in Ohio and worked the zone 5 west extra list. He had his on  personal plane so if they called him, he'd fly in.  I also knew a guy who got furloughed from Harrisburg. He brought his boat to Annapolis for the week and went home on the weekends.

You need to read the OP's original question. He asked if there was leeway on the requirement to  live within 2 hours of the crew base. The answer is yes, since that is not an actual requirement.
Sorry what I should have said was holding a job in T&E. Yes holding a job comes in time. But you pretty much answered my question. But flying in? That's next level. :)  

All of those are the same craft, OBS. As it has been mentioned, there's T&E crew bases all over the country, and a lot of them.

For OBS however...

Boston, New York, DC, Raleigh, Miami, New Orleans, Chicago, Fort Worth, Seattle, Oakland, and LA. There is also Lorton which has its own seniority roster.

All of those are the same craft, OBS. As it has been mentioned, there's T&E crew bases all over the country, and a lot of them.

For OBS however...

Boston, New York, DC, Raleigh, Miami, New Orleans, Chicago, Fort Worth, Seattle, Oakland, and LA. There is also Lorton which has its own seniority roster.
And I can imagine if one gets hired for the Auto Train.. Good luck enjoying the extra board for years.  :eek:

And I can imagine if one gets hired for the Auto Train.. Good luck enjoying the extra board for years. [emoji33]
One of the people at crew management who use to run the desk for Boston and DC has a daughter who works the Auto Train...been on the board for something like 8 years I thought.

And maybe OBS can correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone from the Auto Train decides to transfer elsewhere in the system, they bid as if they have no seniority.

And maybe OBS can correct me if I'm wrong, but if someone from the Auto Train decides to transfer elsewhere in the system, they bid as if they have no seniority.
True...and vice versa...although you can't bid to the Auto train....you have to apply.

True...and vice versa...although you can't bid to the Auto train....you have to apply.

Huh. I didn't know about the last part. Makes sense though.
I am curious about the unique situation on the Auto Train...can the management hire someone "off the street" over someone from the rest of the system to fill a vacancy?

Interesting...because they have buck the extra board for so long?
I would guess more so because of losing all their seniority and having to go back to working on call. Trust me, once you can ditch that, you never want to go back. I've been with Amtrak for 4 years, and have held a job for about a year and a half. At this point I am too vested, and wouldn't even make the jump to T&E.

Also in case it wasn't clear, this separate seniority roster for the Auto Train only applies to OBS. T&E can come and go as they please.

Surprised the national union isn't pushing to 'merge' the seniority....even if they have to give 'grandfathered' seniority for AT employees until attrition naturally ends it....

Why is the Auto Train so separate from the rest of the system? I know that it has its own special lounge cars, Deluxe Sleepers, and of course Auto Racks, but other than that, it’s pretty much a standard Superliner train when it comes to the overall onboard experience and service. 

Back