Amtrak Derailment Philadelphia (5/12/2015)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't read anything I hadn't read before + a lot of human interest stuff. No new information though - which is not at all surprising since the official report hasn't come out. Why does the NYT print this at this time rather than waiting for some real news?
Yes, Why Today???
If you're saying the report is out. It is NOT out. This report will most likely come out after May. Not to mention you'll know when the report is out. Considering it has such major implications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineer recalls accelerating:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-engineer-brian-bostian-recalls-opening-throttle-before-fatal-crash/

The last thing Amtrak engineer Brandon Bostian remembers before last May's fatal crash in Philadelphia is pushing the throttle forward to pick up speed and then braking when he felt the train going too fast into a sharp curve, according to a transcript of his interview with federal accident investigators.
How about quoting the part where the acceleration was appropriate for where he was. Your quote is as bad as the headlines. Leading people to think that he was purposely trying to go an unsafe speed.

The limit for the stretch of track prior to the curve is 70 mph, although there is a portion prior to that where it is 80 mph.

"Once I pushed the throttle forward in an attempt to bring the train up to 80 miles an hour, I don't have any other memories until after the train was already in the curve," Bostian said in the November interview.

Yeah, I saw that as well, but I got figuratively spanked for quoting too much from an article.

It was not my intention to be unfair, but to draw attention to the fact that there's some news on the story.

If I offended or appeared unfair, I apologize.

I didn't read anything I hadn't read before + a lot of human interest stuff. No new information though - which is not at all surprising since the official report hasn't come out. Why does the NYT print this at this time rather than waiting for some real news?
Yes, Why Today???
If you're saying the report is out. It is NOT out. This report will most likely come out after May. Not to mention you'll know when the report is out. Considering it has such major implications.
They did release a bunch of documents today. That is why you see all the news articles.
http://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/hitlist.cfm?docketID=58167&CurrentPage=1&EndRow=15&StartRow=1&order=1&sort=0&TXTSEARCHT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A bunch is an understatement. I'd say it was well over 100. I can't recall the exact amount. Most of which is very interesting to read if you have the time.
The released documents are the raw material they will use for their report.

The format of the docket makes reading the material somewhat difficult.

A bunch is an understatement. I'd say it was well over 100. I can't recall the exact amount. Most of which is very interesting to read if you have the time.
The released documents are the raw material they will use for their report.

The format of the docket makes reading the material somewhat difficult.

That makes sense. Thanks. I did find some of the info interesting to look at.

I have to say, I have seen headline reports that the engineer is changing his story. They offer as proof his statements made immediately after the incident, were that he could not recall details. Now, he is beginning to remember some details. That is what they claim is the change.

I have no idea if the engineer is truthful, but I can see a person regaining some memory, as time progresses, after suffering a head injury. And such is not, by itself, proof of deceit.

I know the report isn't out yet, but I'd like to hear opinions on this now that the data has been released. I have read all of the interviews, but haven't looked at much else in the report. What are your thoughts on what happened? Do you think something hit 188? If so, what? Is it related to whatever hit the SEPTA and Acela trains? Do you think the engineer is telling the truth and not trying to change his story?

Yes.

Yes.

Not rocks.

Yes.
Do you think it was a gunshot? So you think the same person or group of people that shot the SEPTA and Acela trains also shot 188?
I thought they came out last may and said it was not a gunshot? I could be mistaken.
Yes, they did. The possibility that something else could have hit the train has was not eliminated. The SEPTA train was struck several miles away from the accident, and the sad reality is that trains getting hit by rocks or whatever is not uncommon in that area.

They did. I'm unconvinced that it's possible to throw a rock hard enough to hit the side of a passing train (the Acela just before the derailment and another last week) and cause the kind of damage we saw.

Yes, they did. The possibility that something else could have hit the train has was not eliminated. The SEPTA train was struck several miles away from the accident, and the sad reality is that trains getting hit by rocks or whatever is not uncommon in that area.
Thanks for the link! I wish something could be done about the common occurrence of objects hitting trains.

They did. I'm unconvinced that it's possible to throw a rock hard enough to hit the side of a passing train (the Acela just before the derailment and another last week) and cause the kind of damage we saw.
Agreed.

Regardless of what may have hit the train, the SEPTA and Acela were struck over three miles west of the derailment site. Eastbound 188, after passing that area, slowed appropriately for a speed-restricted curve at Second Street, then began the fatal acceleration up to and over the 80 mph track speed and ultimately to 106 mph prior to entering the 55mph Frankfort Junction curve about two miles later.

If 188 had also been hit in the same area as SEPTA and the Acela were hit (and there was no radio report from 188 that it had been hit), the effect was evidently not sufficient to impact the proper operation of the train at the Second Street curve - about one mile east. This, to me, suggests the theory that the engineer was incapacitated or stunned by being hit by the same parties that hit the SEPTA and Acela trains, and that caused him to go overspeed into the curve is not credible. Now, could there have been some others out there unrelated to the SEPTA and Acela incidents who hit 188? Maybe, but I think that's a stretch.

I'm standing by my opinion from the day after the derailment that the engineer of 188 simply lost track of where he was on the railroad: that he thought he was east of Frankford Junction, had entered 110mph territory and was accelerating appropriately when, in fact, he was still west of the junction. In my opinion, it was human error that was compounded by the fact that the existing signal system was not configured to prevent an eastbound overspeed train from entering that curve (as it was for westbound trains). My opinion, and my opinion only.

I also tend to agree with PRR's opinion. Clearly there was loss of situational awareness. Such can happen for no specific identifiable reason, other than tiredness or momentary distraction. Happens to the best of us occasionally for short moments during long drives. They are not as dangerous when speeds are low.

Sorry but rocks can break windows as this poster has personally experienced. Happened going thru Oakland on CS .
I have seen engine windshields broken by rocks. By broken I mean really broken, all the way, no glass left in half the windshield.

I'm standing by my opinion from the day after the derailment that the engineer of 188 simply lost track of where he was on the railroad: that he thought he was east of Frankford Junction, had entered 110mph territory and was accelerating appropriately when, in fact, he was still west of the junction. In my opinion, it was human error that was compounded by the fact that the existing signal system was not configured to prevent an eastbound overspeed train from entering that curve (as it was for westbound trains). My opinion, and my opinion only.

I also tend to agree with PRR's opinion. Clearly there was loss of situational awareness. Such can happen for no specific identifiable reason, other than tiredness or momentary distraction. Happens to the best of us occasionally for short moments during long drives. They are not as dangerous when speeds are low.
Not only do I agree with this, it seems this is where the official story is going too.

Back