Amtrak Derailment Philadelphia (5/12/2015)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This looks like an absolute disaster. Terrifying pictures coming in from the site.

Really, really hoping that that first car was empty for one reason or another.

Very SADLY if another train derailed INTO the PATH of this train almost nothing could prevent this derailment.

This looks like the scenario that happened with this Amtrak derailment in North Philadelphia 5-12-15.

Prayers to all those impacted with this derailment tragedy.

---- Daniel

Very SADLY if another train derailed INTO the PATH of this train almost nothing could prevent this derailment.

This looks like the scenario that happened with this Amtrak derailment in North Philadelphia 5-12-15.

Prayers to all those impacted with this derailment tragedy.

---- Daniel
I think that it's way too early to say what this looks like. We can't even see the whole scene.

Thanks for the update Steve, good to have a local that knows the territory and railroads as a source!

Ex Rep Murphy, D-PA. tweeted that a US Senator got off the train in Wilmington, missed the name?

MSNBC is ripping Amtrak for poor communication regarding the disaster!

Thanks for the update Steve, good to have a local that knows the territory and railroads as a source!

Ex Rep Murphy, D-PA. tweeted that a US Senator got off the train in Wilmington, missed the name?

MSNBC is ripping Amtrak for poor communication regarding the disaster!
Most likely the Senator's name starts with a C since our two Senator's and our rep all have last names starting with C. :p

It was Carper that got off in Wilmington.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amtrak tends to be very safe overall. Portal bridge had a defect and was fixed after previous derailment, but I have not seen a cause to this crash. I myself tend to like Amtrak over bus on this route and I am hoping everyone is okay. Hundreds of transportation accidents occur all the time unfortunately.

Cause needs to be determined so they can fix the problem. With the Sprinters, it should have been hard to speed over the rails like this. Could have been a rail problem that was overlooked, a defect with the Sprinter, sabotage. I think conductor speeding is the least likely senario but it has happened before on other railroads, like metro north but amtrak generally has not had speeding problems.

i havent seen any CSX freight train images so I dont know if that was an issue.

Lots of self-appointed experts have already posted lots of crap about what caused the wreck, what is wrong with Amtrak, how we should have a national maglev system, etc. Obviously idiots. Be careful what you believe.

Tom

Lots of self-appointed experts have already posted lots of crap about what caused the wreck, what is wrong with Amtrak, how we should have a national maglev system, etc. Obviously idiots. Be careful what you believe.

Tom
Thank you for speaking up and out about this. I thought I was the only one feeling like that here, but am too shaken to speak up. I just came through the area last night.

Prayers for our brothers, sisters, and passengers onboard.

There are some pictures on Facebook of the ACS-64, it looks pretty intact so I don't think this was a head on collision between anything. I just hope everyone is ok and that a Sprinter defect wasn't the cause of the accident.

Tom
Thank you for speaking up and out about this. I thought I was the only one feeling like that here, but am too shaken to speak up. I just came through the area last night.

Prayers for our brothers, sisters, and passengers onboard.
Thirded. Thoughts and prayers with the victims and first responders are sufficient for tonight. We'll get our answers as soon as they're available.

Crazy to think that I photographed that engine right when it entered service on the Northeast Corridor in March of 2014. Ironically, I was taking Amtrak to Philadelphia. Hopefully that's the only loss.

11257951_1178186288863218_3393281622974226872_n.jpg

Back