Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's a new Flex menu posted, dated 6/23:
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/routes/Flexible-Dining-Menu-0623.pdf
All of the entrees have been changed. The pasta entree is gone, replaced by chicken enchiladas, and the Vegan entree is now plant-based kebabs with Basmati Rice, Curried Cauliflower, and Chickpeas | Peppers | Raisins |
Cashews | Scallions.

And there have been some changes to the adult beverages, including the addition of Jack Daniels, and La Marca Prosecco. I wonder whether those 2 will also be available on the Silver Service TD, despite not being on the menu.

Just purchased roomette for two, Washington DC to Ft Lauderdale on the Silver Star, and back same class on the Meteor, in November to meet a cruise.

Had finger poised over the Jet Blue “purchase now” button, waiting for Amtrak’s official announcement of the return to traditional dining service. Sorry Jet Blue. Even more space isn’t enough to persuade me to forego railroad French toast…

There's a new Flex menu posted, dated 6/23:
https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/routes/Flexible-Dining-Menu-0623.pdf
All of the entrees have been changed. The pasta entree is gone, replaced by chicken enchiladas, and the Vegan entree is now plant-based kebabs with Basmati Rice, Curried Cauliflower, and Chickpeas | Peppers | Raisins |
Cashews | Scallions.

And there have been some changes to the adult beverages, including the addition of Jack Daniels, and La Marca Prosecco. I wonder whether those 2 will also be available on the Silver Service TD, despite not being on the menu.
Welp, I won’t travel on these trains. The pasta and meatballs was the one edible item on the lunch and dinner menu. I didn’t think it could get worse, but it did. This is donky dung.

I have the pleasure of reporting that one crew on the Silver Meteor pulled it out last week on 97(21) and cooked me a flex salmon dinner that was actually good. The dining car attendant was a fellow who told everyone he had come from Germany and felt a dedication to carefully heating the meals without the use of a microwave at any time. The salmon had a good amount of moisture & flaking, the shrimp was equally well made & the sauce had a really clean complimentary flavor. He made a point of playing light contemporary instrumental music during dining & was nicely conversational with all pax.

The next morning I passed him with a coffee on my way to the cafe car. He asked me if I needed a refill & from where I got my coffee. He insisted on getting me a cup of the Starbucks he prepared in the dining car. I'm really easygoing about my coffee, but his was the first cup of Starbucks I've had in years that hadn't sat too long on a warmer or was less than fresh.

I believe his apron (which he wore at all times) had his name stitched onto it and a small pin of a German flag. "H.M." was his initials, I never had time to ask his full name. Not only was this my first Viewliner dining car experience, it was my first flex dining experience that exceeded my expectations & left me happier than I came into.

Recent scuttlebutt from a trip on the City of New Orleans: the traditional dining pilot program (currently in place on the Silvers) is rumored to come to the CONO in October. Plans are to allegedly staff superliner diners with a Chef downstairs and an LSA upstairs. We’ll see what ends up happening.
I am fairly inclined to believe it, as OBS were right about the Meteor's. However, I wouldn't be surprised if it was delayed. I think maybe that's what OBS is hearing, but it could be that some of Amtrak's expectations are not achievable, which is why OBS reports can be false.

I heard the Silvers have less staff working the dining car than the western LDs
The Diner staffing on the Silvers is one Chef and one LSA. They do quite a remarkable job each time I have been on the Star.

I looked up the appetizers and didn’t see any I liked so will be very happy to have traditional dining back on both the Silvers even without appetizers. As long as they keep that lemon cake I’m hearing rave reviews of, I’ll be content!😊
Just back from a long trip , 5 trains! The lemon cake good. Flat iron steak remarkably good and cooked to order, lunch salad very good, shrimp appetizer overcooked and caprese skewers good.

Actually, I found that cake a little overwhelming. It is good, but it's also a Death By Chocolate kind of thing. I had it just one time. I liked it for about three bites, but it became too much for me.
It is rich but oh so good. The 2nd day I asked for it to go. I was in the 422 car, so I had it for a snack on the TE after we left San Antonio. I was nice and ate it in my room so as not to make other pax jealous. 😂

Last edited:
QR code menus are apparently generally going out of favor. Customers apparently don't like them, not just on trains, and not just among the tech illiterate:

The QR-Code Menu Is Being Shown the Door

The article may be paywalled, but I think the Times allows a limited number of free articles.
Use archive dot ph to get pass paywalls
Also glad they are phasing them out. There are certain areas on train paths where web service is non-existent. Plus for some, it's easier to read print on paper vs on a screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back