Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking of a menu I saw at a restaurant that called itself a diner but only sold a la carte (so not a Diner). Appetizers were $8-10, roast chicken was $19.99, a ny strip steak was $29.99, and a slice of entirely mediocre pie was $8, while a bowl (scoop) of ice cream was $7.50. $35.40- $47.99, no drink included (alcohol or otherwise). Add the ludicrous $4 for a fountain drink, and let’s say $12 for an adult beverage and the tally for that is $51.40-$63.99.

While I am not going to say Amtraks food is the greatest, the fish dish I initially ordered at this place was a reject, and the $22 chicken francaise I got was just barely edible and would have been considered a reject had I not already done this- and that is the first time I have sent back a dish in my adult life. I’m not saying the $45 is a good deal, but it is certainly not ridiculous, let alone intentionally discouraging.

Side note @mysticriverdragon avoid the town and country diner across from the former Mastoris. Good gravy it’s bad.

Wow! Thank you! I heard it had gone downhill under the new owners but didn’t realize how far downhill! Someone suggested going there recently and I suggested one of my favorite diners instead, which (thank goodness) my friend agreed to.

In comparison, I can get soup, salmon with one vegetable, and a dessert for $15 (at lunch) at my favorite diner. That makes the $25 for lunch on Amtrak a bit high but if the extra $10 is for the dining car ambience and the passing scenery, then I think it’s ok.

I do think $45 for dinner is a bit steep. If I wanted a dining car meal in coach, I’d probably do breakfast—same ambience at a much better price.

I’ve noted this before, but in 1965, the steak dinner on the New York Central’s Empire State Express, without cocktail, was $4.95. That’s actually slightly more, adjusted for inflation, than Amtrak’s all inclusive $45 not considering that Amtrak throws in a glass of wine. If you go to a normal restaurant, you wouldn’t bat an eye at $45 for a steak dinner with wine. For the economical traveler, the cafe car food is much improved. You can get a fresh salad, blue corn tamales, or oatmeal for breakfast, which was my menu last time I spent a day on a long distance trains. Actually, quite good, and eating in the top level of the Superliner has vistas akin to a UP Dome Diner. Finally, anyone interested in bringing their own food could consider a thermal pot. No heat source, and it will keep food hot for many hours. The food service situation isn’t bad at all actually and I’m convinced it will get better if we protect and grow the system. Those with sticker shock over the prices might want to just be a little more realistic. The railroad dining car was always a luxury that coach passengers traveling on a budget usually strategically avoided.
It's also been noted before that not everyone who wants a nice dinner wants a steak, and certainly not everyone drinks alcohol. So comparing Amtrak's prix fixe to the cost of the most expensive item with wine does not justify it. They could easily require entree selection at time of the reservation, and charge an appropriate full meal price based on the entree, without getting into the weeds of charging for individual components. They currently charge sleeper passengers for alcoholic drinks at lunch or beyond the 1st at dinner; they could do the same for coach passengers.

And it's also been noted that the most popular cafe items are often sold out, and Amtrak doesn't appear to be capable of restocking en route.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please keep your posts on the topic of Amtrak dining and cafe service. Off topic posts not discussing Amtrak dining and cafe service have been removed.

Thank you for your cooperation, understanding and participation.

It's also been noted before that not everyone who wants a nice dinner wants a steak, and certainly not everyone drinks alcohol. So comparing Amtrak's prix fixe to the cost of the most expensive item with wine does not justify it. They could easily require entree selection at time of the reservation, and charge an appropriate full meal price based on the entree, without getting into the weeds of charging for individual components. They currently charge sleeper passengers for alcoholic drinks at lunch or beyond the 1st at dinner; they could do the same for coach passengers.

And it's also been noted that the most popular cafe items are often sold out, and Amtrak doesn't appear to be capable of restocking en route.
I’ll just reiterate that the menu prices on the railroads were expensive. The dining car, when I was a kid, was a luxury. If you compare the food offerings in cafe and lounge cars on the railroads before Amtrak, they were frequently three different cold sandwiches, a danish, chips, beverages, and that was about it. Amtrak doesn’t stock en-route, and that ought not necessarily be expected. Every item won’t always be available. I don’t know what to say except that the meal prices in the diner aren’t bad at all. It’s beyond any company’s capability to entertain every customer’s whim and desired price at any given moment. There are legitimate beefs, like coach passengers being able to eat in the diner, then petty nit picking.

They aren't. Amtrak only has commissary services at terminals.
Thank you. It’s unreasonable to think that every item will always be available. That’s just impossible without massive waste.

I am sick of excuses for running out of items. In this computer age, it is easy to track demand for items in both the Cafe and Dining Cars and to adjust inventory accordingly. Many years ago, the head chef of the S.S. France could, calculate based upon past experience, just how many items of whatever would be ordered. History tells us that the waste was under one percent. The ships capacity, in two classes, was about 2,200 when full. What Amtrak should have is an employee manual for hours etc. so service is uniform. This is not rocket science.

There are legitimate beefs, like coach passengers being able to eat in the diner, then petty nit picking.
The cafe' and diners should be adequately stocked - I don't think that's nit-picking.

The price issue in the diner I'm pretty 50/50 on. The minimum spend in the dining car for dinner used to be $12.50 (burger or entree salad) - you could get that and a cup of water and have a nice meal in the dining car. With a tip that's $15. That's a really big jump to $45. To say that's "nit picking" to point that out isn't reasonable in my opinion. But I also can see Amtrak's reasoning especially since staffing the diners is still an issue.

Thank you. It’s unreasonable to think that every item will always be available. That’s just impossible without massive waste.
You missed my point. You were talking about all the wonderful choices available in the cafe for those unwilling or unable to pay $45 for dinner. My point was that they are as likely as not to be unavailable.

And BTW, I don't think it would be too difficult to set up & manage mid-route restock stores at 4 or 5 staffed stations, to restock some (not all) cafe car items on all of the 2-day trains.

I travel the Silvers, mostly the Meteor. To only have the option of a heavy meal for both lunch and dinner is not for me. I would love to see a sandwich offered. My trip 2 weeks ago only had the Thai noodle available for lunch. Not for me. I tried getting the Cheerios for lunch, but sadly it was never delivered. (I’ve had success in the past). I ended going to the cafe car to purchase the grilled cheese sandwich.

I had the BBQ chicken sandwich from the Northeast Regional cafe car yesterday. Obviously, not the real thing, but it wasn't bad, and somehow they managed to selectively nuke it in the package so that the chicken was warmed up, yet the coleslaw was not cooked. Also had the crudites with hummus. I miss the little container of Sabra hummus with pretzels, but this was probably healthier.

By the way, the lady working the cafe got was definitely earning her salary. There were 5 people ahead of me in line before I was served and 5 people in line waiting after I had been served. I was standing in line almost the whole period between Philadelphia and Wilmington.

20230508_122641.jpg

I travel the Silvers, mostly the Meteor. To only have the option of a heavy meal for both lunch and dinner is not for me. I would love to see a sandwich offered. My trip 2 weeks ago only had the Thai noodle available for lunch. Not for me. I tried getting the Cheerios for lunch, but sadly it was never delivered. (I’ve had success in the past). I ended going to the cafe car to purchase the grilled cheese sandwich.
The cafe car has two decent sandwiches on their menu.If, for example you are taking The Texas Eagle and transferring to The Lake Shore that’s three days and two nights of flex. It would be nice to have those sandwiches as an option. Again,seems so obvious.

I absolutely couldn’t wait to share this with the group. I’ll preface by saying I fly a lot and take the train whenever I can. I fly first class frequently depending on cost. This was a first class trip. I got to the airport and knew my flight was delayed from the app (as I would on Amtrak) I was flying two roughly equal two hour plus segments with a layover. The total trip time was about seven hours. Yes, the seats were comfortable, pretty comparable to Amtrak coach. My food offering on the first leg were a bag of cheeseballs. I arrived late in the evening at the hub, and everything was closed. On my second flight, I was treated to a tiny bag of nuts. Arriving at my home airport, I had an hour and a half drive home. The nearest Amtrak station is a half hour from my house, but the train runs three days per week. I stopped at Subway on the way home. The point of the story is that Amtrak food service is pretty darn good. I would have gladly taken the cafe car menu over what first class on the plane is. Unless you’re traveling overseas or a very long domestic flight, you will get almost nothing to eat in first class on the plane. Amtrak is very competitive and has a superior product if there were just more trains.

Great report. It wasn't too many years ago that airlines took pride in their food, decent chicken or beef in coach, lots of choices and very good service in business/first, and especially free drinks.
Lately there is a race to the bottom to see how few pennies they can spend per passenger "meal". On a recent flight from Seattle to Boston in business, I took off around 8am and was immediately given a tiny croissant and some cheese. 5 hours into a 7 hour trip, I asked about lunch and was told that my "breakfast" was the only meal on the flight. I landed about 8pm Boston time and that croissant was my only food for the entire day.

I survived by drinking free beers...

I didn't fly much in my younger days, but the few times I did I can remember not like smelling the food on the plane. So, I for one, am glad they don't serve hot meals to non-FC passengers. ;)

Great report. It wasn't too many years ago that airlines took pride in their food, decent chicken or beef in coach, lots of choices and very good service in business/first, and especially free drinks.
Lately there is a race to the bottom to see how few pennies they can spend per passenger "meal". On a recent flight from Seattle to Boston in business, I took off around 8am and was immediately given a tiny croissant and some cheese. 5 hours into a 7 hour trip, I asked about lunch and was told that my "breakfast" was the only meal on the flight. I landed about 8pm Boston time and that croissant was my only food for the entire day.

I survived by drinking free beers...
Wait, Seattle to Boston was a 7 hour flight? I though normally they were about 5.5 hrs. I suppose it got delayed en route? Curious what airline it was. Also 8am to 8pm makes it a 9 hour flight not 7 hours flight which is even curiouser.

Unless you’re traveling overseas or a very long domestic flight, you will get almost nothing to eat in first class on the plane. Amtrak is very competitive and has a superior product if there were just more trains.
That's not been my experience flying 1st on American and Delta. The short hops usually have a "snack basket" with a selection of chips, cookies, nuts, Kind Bars, Candy, etc. Any flight over 900 miles are served meals during meal periods. I've had very good meals on both lines, not as good as traditional dining on Amtrak but MUCH better than Amtrak Flex (and very nicely presented).

I haven't actually tried it, but Acela 1st Class looks to be the equivalent of domestic first class air.

Any flight over 900 miles are served meals during meal periods.
That was the problem. Because the flight left around 7-8am, our one "meal period" was breakfast, which as mentioned was a croissant and two small pieces of cheese. No other food for the rest of the flight, not even any kind of snack basket. I would have much prefered a real lunch 3 hours into the flight.

Until recently, business class was pretty nice, with caring attendants strolling up and down and asking if you wanted anything. This gang couldn't wait to get the croissants out and hide for the rest of the long flight. Don't remember the airline but a major, probably American or United.

Unless you’re traveling overseas or a very long domestic flight, you will get almost nothing to eat in first class on the plane. Amtrak is very competitive and has a superior product if there were just more trains.
In fact, I once traveled on Acela First from Washington to Baltimore (a 30 minute trip). They actually served me dinner and a drink in a timely enough manner that I was able to finish it. (I did let the attendant know I was getting off in Baltimore.)

I haven't actually tried it, but Acela 1st Class looks to be the equivalent of domestic first class air.

I had Acela first and flex meals pretty close together on a recent trip. The biggest difference is the presentation. The actual taste is pretty comparable at least between the things I had. I have experienced similar omelette prep issues on both Acela first and flex (where if it’s heated too much it dries out and it isn’t great). Given that it’s two attendants working the FC car I wouldn’t be surprised if the end result is a bit more consistent though. But I wouldn’t say there’s a light years difference between Acela fc and flex as far as taste and the actual food (in fact I’d say generally the flex meals you get better portions.) it kind of comes across as pretty similar stuff, at least in my experience - Acela first comes across as flex if they took the time to plate it and present it a bit better - with some items slightly smaller portion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back