Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are Acela first meals better than Flexible dining for those who are familiar with both?
I've had (Amtrak-standard) tasty meals on both. The presentation of Acela First is, in my opinion, nicer. If I was forced to rank meal services I've experienced, I'd say (1) Acela First -- if not for the quality, then for the fact that there's typically something new every season; (2) Auto Train; (3) Traditional; and (4) Flex.

I'd say the actual substance and overall quality isn't actually all that different, but alas. The Café Car food does not deserve to be ranked on this list :p

Are Acela first meals better than Flexible dining for those who are familiar with both? I keep thinking that’s a workable solution to the non traditional dining trains in all aspects quality, labor, etc. But here it is 4-5 years later and it doesn’t seem like it was ever thought of as a solution. It’s been talked about on here but honestly what are the advantages and disadvantages of such a move?
It's been awhile since I rode Acela First at the dinner hour, but in general I've enjoyed the Acela First meals much more than my few experiences with flex meals. Much of the difference is presentation; some is preparation. Food quality of the original flex meals was really inferior too, though they have improved somewhat.

On Acela First, I recall food served on plates, with metal cutlery and cloth napkins. On the flex trains, I recall food served in the same container (originally black plastic, more recently foil) that was used for storing and reheating it, with plastic cutlery and paper napkins. For awhile they had these thin, small, brown paper napkins that you had to pull out of a dispenser when you went to collect your tub of food. At least on the Acela, there is an effort to make the meals seem like a first-class amenity, rather than some obligation that's being discharged in the cheapest way possible. But to me, neither is an adequate substitute for the full dining service that has traditionally been part of long-distance train travel.

Also, the portions on Acela First are small. The meals are fine for a trip of three or four hours, but if I had to live on Acela First food for 30 hours from New York to New Orleans, or from Chicago to San Antonio, I think I would be quite hungry by the end of the ride.

I have one comment about the Northeast Regional cafe car after I patronized one on my recent trip form New York to Baltimore. They really should have two attendants serving. The line was backed up almost to the door, and I think I spent 20 minutes waiting for my food. Also, with two servers, one can do the more time-consuming stuff like taking the hot sandwich out of the wrapper and heating it on a plate rather than serving a plastic bag full of hot melted cheese that is all stuck to the bag. They can also toast things like hot dog rolls and bagels (if they ever start serving bagels again). I know they have the facilities for it, as I've had attendants do it for me if the train isn't too crowded. Perhaps when they get the new equipment, they'll have some grab and go cases (hopefully with self-service checkout and payment) that will take some of the load off of the attendant, but I really think that on the NEC, at least, there's enough business to justify 2 attendants.

When the Acela service was first introduced, they had 2 in that cafe. Also many years ago, they ran the longer NE corridor trains with two cafes, one in the center of the train, and a split cafe/Club Class on rear of train. Also, around holiday times and Fri/Sun runs they would have a second person in the cafe either for whole trip or hop on hop off for a portion of the trip.

Are Acela first meals better than Flexible dining for those who are familiar with both? I keep thinking that’s a workable solution to the non traditional dining trains in all aspects quality, labor, etc. But here it is 4-5 years later and it doesn’t seem like it was ever thought of as a solution. It’s been talked about on here but honestly what are the advantages and disadvantages of such a move?
Quality/taste wise it’s a wash for me. Biggest difference is presentation which is better of course on Acela first with plating. I think the portions on Acela first tend to run smaller though

I totally agree, but don't think it will ever happen. In 50 years I don't think I've ever seen a cafe car double-staffed.
Only time I've seen 2 LSAs in Cafes was when the Upstairs Serving Area on the Sightseer Lounge was staffed on the Empire Builder, and in the FC Cars on Acelas.( however the last few times I rode FC there was only 1 Attendant!)

Only time I've seen 2 LSAs in Cafes was when the Upstairs Serving Area on the Sightseer Lounge was staffed on the Empire Builder, and in the FC Cars on Acelas.( however the last few times I rode FC there was only 1 Attendant!)
The FC cars actually started with 3 attendants, but they quickly showed Amtrak that 3 weren't necessary by one attendant hiding/sleeping for part/all of trip.

i think the Acela First Class experience - especially the food selections - have gone deeply downhill. It’s not what it used to be. The VIA 1 class of service (business class) and even Metroliner First Class was/is better. More to be desired at present. Amtrak is trying to sell high priced tickets for a level of service that just doesn’t match - it’s across the board - Acela, sleeper class, etc. Branding is everything, and Amtrak has mixed messages, and inconsistencies at best.

i think the Acela First Class experience - especially the food selections - have gone deeply downhill. It’s not what it used to be. The VIA 1 class of service (business class) and even Metroliner First Class was/is better. More to be desired at present. Amtrak is trying to sell high priced tickets for a level of service that just doesn’t match - it’s across the board - Acela, sleeper class, etc. Branding is everything, and Amtrak has mixed messages, and inconsistencies at best.
While Acela First meals post Covid have gone downhill to some degree, they are still better than the "club class" meal I was served on a Northeast Direct back in the 1990s. That was perfectly edible, but it was a supermarket-grade frozen microwaved dinner. But I don't think passengers were paying for the food, they were paying for the spacious 2xi club seating, private table seating, and the opportunity to not have to rub shoulders with the riff-raff. I think the same is true for Acela First riders.

When I ride, I would say that at least half the riders refuse meal service. Some of those who refuse meals take advantage of the open bar, but, really most people are only taking a 2-3 hour ride, aside from drinks and a snack, they really aren't riding because they want a courmet experience. And despite the diminution of food quality, they have returned to a first-class presentation, complete with real plates, metal flatware and cloth napkins.

Kind of sad when the food and drink you get in the Moynihan lounge is better than any food you will get on four of the five long distance trains leaving from New York..The Lake Shore,The Cardinal,The Crescent and The Silver Meteor.

Can someone remind me what the food and drink are like in the Metropolitan Lounge at Chicago Union Station? The hubby and I should have about 2 hours (if the northbound Lincoln Service train is on time) there before we board the California Zephyr at the end of September, and I wonder if the snacks & drinks there would make an adequate lunch before we board the CZ.

Kind of sad when the food and drink you get in the Moynihan lounge is better than any food you will get on four of the five long distance trains leaving from New York..The Lake Shore,The Cardinal,The Crescent and The Silver Meteor.
Especially when you consider it all is provided by the very same vendor, Aramark. If Amtrak wants it improved, Aramark has the capability to provide that improvement.

Aramark also provides the consistently great, friendly and helpful staff at Moynihan's Metropolitan Lounge. They're generally a lot better than the OBS staff on the trains out of New York.

Last edited:
Can someone remind me what the food and drink are like in the Metropolitan Lounge at Chicago Union Station? The hubby and I should have about 2 hours (if the northbound Lincoln Service train is on time) there before we board the California Zephyr at the end of September, and I wonder if the snacks & drinks there would make an adequate lunch before we board the CZ.
Chips, cookies, candy bars, maybe yogurt and mini-donuts. Nothing substantial.

The veggie bar was suspended during the pandemic and has not returned.

Mostly Salad type items, but since there are so many good places to eat close to Union Station, I suggest yall eat Lunch in Greektown( West of Union Station)or if you like Deep Dish Pizza, @ Giordanos across the River on West Jackson.

So if the hubby & I don't bring sack lunches from home or buy something from the Business Class/Cafe Car on the Lincoln Service train, we might want to pick up something from the food court at Chicago Union Station.
See my Post above, the food is much better Outside of Union Station.( especially since Gold Coast Hot Dogs closed!)

So if the hubby & I don't bring sack lunches from home or buy something from the Business Class/Cafe Car on the Lincoln Service train, we might want to pick up something from the food court at Chicago Union Station.
Probably. It's not a very appealing space, but there's a reasonable selection of fast food places.
1684356292786.jpeg

Mostly Salad type items, but since there are so many good places to eat close to Union Station, I suggest yall eat Lunch in Greektown( West of Union Station)or if you like Deep Dish Pizza, @ Giordanos across the River on West Jackson.
Also for breakfast, the closest of them all Lou Mitchell’s. Think they are closed Monday and Tuesday

Aramark is a outsourced service provider operating Amtrak’s catering and commissary facilities. They aren’t really a food vendor. They are ordering food from other vendors. I believe some of the items at the metropolitan lounge are made by the same vendor that provides the flexible meals. Amtrak itself actually designs on board menus and selects what will be served. For on board Aramark is just in charge of operating the commissary - ordering the products, storing, and getting them to the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back