Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just for clarification, are you alluding tot rains like the Crescent or the Cardinal as the Microwave usage trains because they do not have ovens in the Lounge cars that they use as Diners too? Presumably all single level trains that have Viewliner Diners should have the crew use ovens to heat the meals, right?

The CCC in the CONO and TE should have convection ovens too AFAIR.

You would think they all could but it seems at least from reports that the trains with a dedicated viewliner 2 diner serving only flexible dining with a separate lounge car most consistently prepare the meals in an oven than when both flexible dining and cafe service are prepared in the same car. Is the cafe service and flex dining on the TE CCC car sharing a crew member or are they staffing both sides?

Why would it be prepared differently from one train to the next?
The Lake Shore and Silver Service have a separate dedicated dining car for sleeping car food service with that LSA only serving flex meals and not having to also serve coach passengers which means they are less time crunched to serve all the meals - in those cars the flex meals are prepared in convection/regular ovens. All other trains that serve flex dining have just one car serving both cafe and flex meals. Now I get that the Capitol and eagle have a ccc car so they should be able to do the same but in practice how many staff are in the CCC car? I am merely pointing out that when there is a dedicated car/staff member service may be a bit more consistent. I know from direct observation that on the Lake Shore and Silvers they do not normally microwave the flex meals. The presence of an oven may not be the factor as much as it is the level of staffing as I do realize even the Amfleet 2 lounges have a convection oven. If a staff member has to do both they may be more likely to do whatever is the quickest to get through the meal period.

Last edited:
If a staff member has to do both they may be more likely to do whatever is the quickest to get through the meal period.
I’ve intentionally avoided trains with flex dining after my first experience on the meteor - but I thought there were still 2 crew members even if there was only 1 car. Of course on Amtrak who knows what is actually happening.

Are these meals designed to be heated in either an oven or a microwave? It doesn’t really matter what the reason is, if the LSA is preparing them incorrectly that’s a major problem but perhaps they are designed to be heated either way?

I’ve intentionally avoided trains with flex dining after my first experience on the meteor - but I thought there were still 2 crew members even if there was only 1 car. Of course on Amtrak who knows what is actually happening.

Are these meals designed to be heated in either an oven or a microwave? It doesn’t really matter what the reason is, if the LSA is preparing them incorrectly that’s a major problem but perhaps they are designed to be heated either way?

My understanding is these meals are NOT intended (at least by the New Horizons vendor they purchase the meals from) to be heated by microwave only by oven though it has been known to happen from trip reports where the meal came with the plastic still on it - seemingly happening more often on the trains with a single car - I have yet to experience it myself but all the reports I have seen have been from trains that have a single food service car - Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol, or Texas Eagle. It seems like the flex meals come out way worse when incorrectly prepared such as when microwaved.

The CONO - which they had to pull the diner from due to car shortages is operating with only a SSL which only has a microwave. Because of this they shifted to Torn Apron dinners instead of the flex meals for sleeper dinner service and serve cafe car items for breakfast and lunch. Torn Apron products are microwave friendly meals. This move backs up the idea that flex meals aren’t supposed to be microwaved.

Last edited:
Also when they were running a club-dinette car on the Boston section of the lake shore the Boston sleeper passengers would just get a cafe car menu item for lunch heading west and dinner heading east. I believe now that they’re running the full Amfleet 2 lounge/diner lite on it I believe they are closing the cafe for a period of the Boston - Albany stretch to actually serve flex meals for the Boston sleeper passengers as the car now does have a convection oven. I will be on it in May In the Boston sleeper so I’ll be curious to see what they do then. West of Albany Boston sleeper passengers are expected to go to the diner as normal.

I found the pancakes and sausage meal good on the lake shore. I’m guessing the difference is microwaving vs oven (it was clearly not microwaved on the lake shore.)
We had an enjoyable experience on the Empire Builder this summer and found the food overall, quite good. One exception was the quick takeout breakfast just before we arrived in Portland. We chose yogurt and a toasted bagel, except the bagel was nuked, not toasted. It was so tough I think it could have been used as body amour. Really, we just couldn't bite through it. My foodie wife was going to offer feedback to the young man, but we were about to detrain. Turned out to be a humorous and memorable moment of a fun train trip.

We had an enjoyable experience on the Empire Builder this summer and found the food overall, quite good. One exception was the quick takeout breakfast just before we arrived in Portland. We chose yogurt and a toasted bagel, except the bagel was nuked, not toasted. It was so tough I think it could have been used as body amour. Really, we just couldn't bite through it. My foodie wife was going to offer feedback to the young man, but we were about to detrain. Turned out to be a humorous and memorable moment of a fun train trip.
Yes they only have a Sightseer Lounge on the Portland section of the Builder which only has a microwave. I'm kind of surprised to hear they do that a nuked bagel doesnt sound like a great idea!

Did they let you hang out in the diner-lounge outside of the meal periods? (Like they're supposed to.)
I didn't even try. There wasn't a true lounge (SSL) on the run, hasn't been since before the pandemic. I just hung out in my roomette.

I relied on many frozen tv dinners in college. They were quick, easy and some were quite tasty. However I wasn't paying $600 a night for accommodations as one does in a sleeping car.
Ramen packets were my go-to meal when the dorm cafeterias weren't open, as I went to college before microwaves in dorm rooms were common. However, as you said, one expects better than ramen-in-a-cup with hot water from the sleeping car coffee station when one is paying for Amtrak sleeper accommodations.

Ramen packets were my go-to meal when the dorm cafeterias weren't open, as I went to college before microwaves in dorm rooms were common. However, as you said, one expects better than ramen-in-a-cup with hot water from the sleeping car coffee station when one is paying for Amtrak sleeper accommodations.
Exactly. You expect fresh cooked to order food aka traditional dining when paying $600 or more for a sleeper. If anybody on this forum thinks Covid was the reason Flex was introduced as early as June 2018.

Exactly. You expect fresh cooked to order food aka traditional dining when paying $600 or more for a sleeper. If anybody on this forum thinks Covid was the reason Flex was introduced as early as June 2018.
Anyone that has been paying attention knows that Flex was introduced in the Eastern trains in an attempt to meet the goals set in the Mica Amendment. Covid only caused its extension to the Western LD trains, explicitly stated then as a temporary measure for the duration of the pandemic driven special operations.

Sorry, but Co
Sorry, but Covid was not the reason Flex meals were introduced. COVID hit us in 2020, not 2018. We had our first Flex meals on out Oct, 2019 south bound Meteor

I'm so glad ash trays are nowhere to be seen but lament (most) passengers' dress today compared to back then. The Super Chief had finger bowls along with the fine glassware, china, silverware, and substantial snowy-white tablecloths. Every railroad had its own interesting china and there were so many railroad companies. How the dining car staffs ever performed so perfectly is very hard to understand, especially in view of the space limitation and movement of the train, including curves, switches, crossings, braking, and all the rest.
You want to see perfection. I took viarail from Vancouver to Toronto last month, four days. Three meals a day and I have to say they were gourmet five star.

Is this a real problem, or a perceived one?
let's see.... about 30%, or 1/3 of the nation eats gluten free. 4% have a medical diagnosis and this is the only treatment. 10% have a medical "request" or reason to eat gluten free. These people have to be concerned of cross-contamination issues. A sealed meal isn't that difficult. Getting a contract with a local caterer for Amtrak hubs would be easy peasy. It just isn't done.

The rest of the 30% (which is 14%) is preference. They do it for the way they feel or for a dietary preference, many are undiagnosed from real medical issues so it isn't something to take lightly. Food preferences are not something that should be made fun of or diminished. That's a lot of people who eat gluten free... it is a lot of potential customers that Amtrak could capture.

My first Flex Menu meal was August 19, 2019 - 6 months before COVID-19. It was the Beef Provencal entrée. Below is the picture of that meal. In those days, the meal was served in what I believe was a bamboo box. Despite the presentation, it wasn't bad at all, except for that roll which was like eating rubber!

Amtrak Flex Dinner - Beef Provencal - August 19 2019.JPG

Can't forget dessert. I have to say those brownies are absolutely delish!!!!

Amtrak Flex Dinner - Dessert.JPG

My first Flex Menu meal was August 19, 2019 - 6 months before COVID-19. It was the Beef Provencal entrée. Below is the picture of that meal. In those days, the meal was served in what I believe was a bamboo box. Despite the presentation, it wasn't bad at all, except for that roll which was like eating rubber!

View attachment 30563

Can't forget dessert. I have to say those brownies are absolutely delish!!!!

View attachment 30564
Glad you got to enjoy your Meal , the ones I had on the Lake Shore Ltd.(Dinner and Breakfast) around this time were absolutely inedible!

The Box was the Best part of "Fresh and Contemporary" Meals!( that's what they were called when first introduced. Flex Meals came later after COVID ramped up IINM.)

My understanding is these meals are NOT intended (at least by the New Horizons vendor they purchase the meals from) to be heated by microwave only by oven though it has been known to happen from trip reports where the meal came with the plastic still on it - seemingly happening more often on the trains with a single car - I have yet to experience it myself but all the reports I have seen have been from trains that have a single food service car - Crescent, Cardinal, Capitol, or Texas Eagle. It seems like the flex meals come out way worse when incorrectly prepared such as when microwaved.

The CONO - which they had to pull the diner from due to car shortages is operating with only a SSL which only has a microwave. Because of this they shifted to Torn Apron dinners instead of the flex meals for sleeper dinner service and serve cafe car items for breakfast and lunch. Torn Apron products are microwave friendly meals. This move backs up the idea that flex meals aren’t supposed to be microwaved.
Back in October I got the pasta meal and the braised beef meal on the Cardinal - obviously microwaved, or terribly abused by the "cook". both looked like dog food. And, I had no option but to eat in my cell.
Of all the current flex meals, I recommend the salmon entree. Had that for both meals on the Crescent between Charlottesville and New Orleans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back