Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The difference may be a matter of the definitions of "precooked" and "reheated." I don't know how traditional dining items were supplied and prepared, but I suspect any items that were precooked were supplied and reheated separately, as opposed to flex meals being supplied in a single individual container. I also suspect some traditional dining items were not fully precooked, but partially cooked and finished, not reheated, on board.

I agree about the dining car experience. I always take my Flex meals in the dining car on the Silvers. It also makes it easier to get any extra condiments I might want, or drink refills or a forgotten bun. But it doesn't make the Flex meals taste any better.
20221205_204231.jpg

This pure mushy slop was my dinner out of DC 2 weeks ago on the Silver Meteor. The train was only rolling 3 hrs out of origination in NYC and the only edible item on flex, the beef, was already out. When you pay over $700
for a sleeper from DC to Orlando, I expect better. Amtrak needs to step it up on the dining on Silver Service trains now, not next year or whenever.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 30750

This pure mushy slop was my dinner out of DC 2 weeks ago on the Silver Meteor. The train was only rolling 3 hrs out of origination in NYC and the only edible item on flex, the beef, was already out. When you pay over $700
for a sleeper from DC to Orlando, I expect better. Amtrak needs to step it up on the dining on Silver Service trains now, not next year or whenever.

Obviously you didn't like it, calling it mushy slop; how did it taste? It LOOKS pretty good - I'd give that a try!

If I understand correctly, Amtrak’s new Airo trains (what a bad choice of names for a railroad) will have cafe cars that will include self-service options. Hallelujah!
Supposedly it will be similar to what the new Acela is going to have so that will likely be a preview.

Obviously you didn't like it, calling it mushy slop; how did it taste? It LOOKS pretty good - I'd give that a try!
It looks like it’s the chicken ala Rosa. I’ve had it - it’s not awful. I prefer the beef one but that one is usually my second choice. Hoping for traditional dining to be back for my April trip though.

Supposedly it will be similar to what the new Acela is going to have so that will likely be a preview.

Sorry, I missed this. What is the new Acela going to have?

It looks like it’s the chicken ala Rosa. I’ve had it - it’s not awful. I prefer the beef one but that one is usually my second choice.!

I’ve had the opposite problem, because I’m (mostly) vegetarian now. I’ll eat salmon, and liked that entree. But the regular vegetarian options are limited and seem to have very spicy sauces or it’s chili. And I don’t like spicy sauces or chili.

Self service options in the cafe. The Cafe on the Airo appears to be modeled after what they’re doing on the new Acela.
Which would imply the Airo cafe cars won't have seating, but then again aren't Venture Coachs like 20ft longer than Avelia Liberty cars?

Which would imply the Airo cafe cars won't have seating, but then again aren't Venture Coachs like 20ft longer than Avelia Liberty cars?

Possibly - based on the concept photos the Airo cafe looks like it’s directly designed after the Avelia Liberty cafe and no sign of seating.

If there’s no seating in the cafe car, where will the crew sit?😁

Seriously, though, no seating in the cafe car would solve that annoyance of paying passengers being told they can’t sit there because the crew is sitting there.

If there’s no seating in the cafe car, where will the crew sit?😁

Seriously, though, no seating in the cafe car would solve that annoyance of paying passengers being told they can’t sit there because the crew is sitting there.
That’s a good point. Usually I see on most trips crews occupying two tables - which isn’t all that bad. But occasionally you see excesses.

There has to be if Amtrak wants to sell alcohol. I think "self-service options" just means passengers will be able to select something from a shelf or cooler and have the attendant ring them up line in a convenience store.
Then it would be not a bit different than the cafe operation in a Superliner II Sightseer. That is how it is already done in those cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back