Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is a cut and paste of all menus currently on western and the auto trains from Amtrak’s website.

Great to see, maybe Amtrak is worth traveling again. But of course I have to find something to complain about- still no ice cream! Is the 3 course menu a first? I don’t recall seeing appetizers in the past. Is the free alcoholic drink one of those listed. If so that’s a step up from Barefoot wine and Maker’s Mark is excellent. My wife’s comment: It makes you hungry looking at it!

It is strange that A-T menu is not updated but presumably it’s the same.

Last edited:
Great to see, maybe Amtrak is worth traveling again. But of course I have to find something to complain about- still no ice cream! Is the 3 course menu a first? I don’t recall seeing appetizers in the past. Is the free alcoholic drink one of those listed. If so that’s a step up from Barefoot wine and Maker’s Mark is excellent. My wife’s comment: It makes you hungry looking at it!

It is strange that A-T menu is not updated but presumably it’s the same.
It’s similar - but the current steak on board is not prepared as described and there is currently a bbq pork shank entree not shown there are currently 5 dinner choices not just 4 - I think they may have also changed the fish to something else too I believe the other entrees are the same. The auto train seems to get a menu tweak about once a year or so. I want to say auto train still has ice cream and is the only train that has it. I will say the last time I rode auto train the food was the best of all the trips I’ve taken.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
Here is the current (as of April) auto train menu. I’m guessing it’s still current as it appears it was refreshed in April in the lower right hand corner.

Attachments

• 7532677A-90B0-46AA-95EE-F1DDD9658540.jpeg
    7532677A-90B0-46AA-95EE-F1DDD9658540.jpeg
    49.9 KB · Views: 51
Is the 3 course menu a first? I don’t recall seeing appetizers in the past.

A few years ago there were appetizers on the menu but they were extra charge for sleeping car passengers and on most trains I traveled on the dining car didn’t actually have them stocked.

So just for clarification the way the “first drink is on us” works now in traditional dining (at least how it did on the Chief) is you get a complementary alcoholic beverage at dinner and only dinner. The plus over flex dining is if you are going end to end on a two night train this means 1 complementary beverage at BOTH dinners - the drawback is dinner ONLY - it is NOT an option to use your complementary beverage at lunch.

So just for clarification the way the “first drink is on us” works now in traditional dining (at least how it did on the Chief) is you get a complementary alcoholic beverage at dinner and only dinner. The plus over flex dining is if you are going end to end on a two night train this means 1 complementary beverage at BOTH dinners - the drawback is dinner ONLY - it is NOT an option to use your complementary beverage at lunch.
I don’t mind that! Good thing to be implemented

As a Coach passenger it’s kind of limited to what you can get delivered to the train. Someone mentioned success was the KFC. I wanted to get a 4 course steak delivered while in Kansas City (with app/salad and dessert). I assume I can bring a non-alcoholic red (with glass) to pair it with. Prolly dine in the observation car.

But I tried and we arrived in KC at 10:15 and I called several place and they closed at 10PM. I was hoping to emulate the dining car experience as a coach passenger. But it’s great that Coach access to the dining car will again happen - based on availability.

https://abc7news.com/covid-breakthrough-cases-case-delta-variant-vaccinated/10885528/
How safe is the dining-car without social distancing? Now vaccinated people are coming down with Covid.

"As the Delta variant takes hold, some of the first COVID-19 cases among the vaccinated population are being detected. In California, 74 people who were vaccinated died from COVID."

overall -79 deaths — that’s a very small percentage of 22 million vaccinated - 10,000 plus new Covid cases is 5% - in the bounds of 5–10% of the vaccines efficacy. 79 should be zero but it to seems to be in the efficacy of the VAX to me.

perhaps Amtrak could suggest a method to have SOME food and drink with mask partially on:

overall -79 deaths — that’s a very small percentage of 22 million vaccinated - 10,000 plus new Covid cases is 5% - in the bounds of 5–10% of the vaccines efficacy. 79 should be zero but it to seems to be in the efficacy of the VAX to me.

perhaps Amtrak could suggest a method to have SOME food and drink with mask partially on:

I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do this. I'd probably end up jamming food into the mask, and sticking the straw in my eye. :D

https://abc7news.com/covid-breakthrough-cases-case-delta-variant-vaccinated/10885528/
How safe is the dining-car without social distancing? Now vaccinated people are coming down with Covid.
*Sigh* It's not safe enough for those with weakened immune systems, or the elderly, unfortunately. However, everyone has the right to get their meal delivered to their seat or room. (This was established to help people with mobility issues.) And eating in your roomette is pretty darn safe.

"As the Delta variant takes hold, some of the first COVID-19 cases among the vaccinated population are being detected. In California, 74 people who were vaccinated died from COVID."

Someday prolly sooner than later - in an eastern or western LH dining car - that includes a mix of passenger classes - will be sharing pandemic stories and enjoying great food and drink ... without a mask.

Absolutely loved the "eating and drinking with your mask on" video! Very educational.

I don't think I'm coordinated enough to do this. I'd probably end up jamming food into the mask, and sticking the straw in my eye. :D

Too true. And add to that the motion of the train. As I was watching the gentleman sit placidly in his stationary kitchen and eat and drink with his mask on, I tried to imagine how this would work on a train moving forward and side to side at the same time. Yes, forks in the eye and straws in someone else's face are to be expected.

The numbers of "breakthrough" infections in the lower 48 upto July 6 is really quite small. According to the CDC. It is small even if there is a factor of 10 undercount which itself is unlikely:

Total vaccinated: 157 Million
Hospitalization: 4,909 (0.003%)
Death: 988 (0.0006%)

1,355 of the 4,909 Hospitalizations reported as symptomatic or not related to COVID-19
255 of 988 fatal cases reported as asymptomatic or not related to COVID-19

Source: COVID-19 Breakthrough Case Investigations and Reporting | CDC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back