Amtrak Dining

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Rasputin

Conductor
And on the LSL, only the Boston to Albany leg, not to NYC
Just to clarify, business class on the Lake Shore is offered between Boston and Chicago in the Boston - Chicago cafe car which has a section for business class seating. Passengers from New York can board the business section at Albany for the trip west of there.

As a mixed blessing, business class passengers on the Lake Shore do not have access to the dining car for flex dining.

At least that is my understanding. Current observations would be welcome.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
There used to be 2 to 1 BC on the Cardinal. Why was that removed?
Most likely because it needed a full Dinette, since that was the only food service car, and even Sleeper passengers had to be fed in it, and they did not wish to put in *shudder* two food service cars on the train even if they could leave one unstaffed. Typical Amtrak cut your nose to spite your face management.

Frankly the LSL needs a full length Cafe Car in addition to whatever they wish to use for a BC car.

MARC Rider

Engineer
Most likely because it needed a full Dinette, since that was the only food service car, and even Sleeper passengers had to be fed in it, and they did not wish to put in *shudder* two food service cars on the train even if they could leave one unstaffed. Typical Amtrak cut your nose to spite your face management.

Frankly the LSL needs a full length Cafe Car in addition to whatever they wish to use for a BC car.,
The Cardinal always had a full Dinette, even when they had business class. When I rode business class BAL - CVS in 2016, and sleeper CHI - BAL in 2019, there was a full dinette, and the table seating seating in the 2x1 split bc/cafe car was for the BC passengers. The cafe part was unstaffed, but when I rode BC in 2016, they had laid out cans of soda and a coffee maker for self-service free drinks. If they've changed that, it must be for some other reason.

jis

Chief Dispatcher
AU Lifetime Supporter
Gathering Team Member
Well, as I said they figured two food service cars was too much so that was that :) No more BC for you :D Mica must have given them a spanking when he saw so much food service!

Reactions: Cal

Rasputin

Conductor
Well, as I said they figured two food service cars was too much so that was that :) No more BC for you :D Mica must have given them a spanking when he saw so much food service!
It is probably the standard Amtrak business practice. They realized that business class on the Cardinal was becoming successful so it had to be eliminated.

Cal

Foamer
It is probably the standard Amtrak business practice. They realized that business class on the Cardinal was becoming successful so it had to be eliminated.
I mean if more passengers wanted to ride it, they would've had less of a case to keep it tri-weekly, and they can't have it go daily! That'd make too much sense.