Amtrak Dining

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Tlcooper93

OBS Chief
AU Supporter
Is the westbound Empire Builder Seattle Section serving breakfast in the morning just before arrival?
When purchasing my ticket, I noticed the Portland section was about $400 more expensive than the Seattle section. I figured this is not for the food, given the diner is coming to Seattle.

Cal

Foamer
Is the westbound Empire Builder Seattle Section serving breakfast in the morning just before arrival?
According to Amtrak they do, I believe I've seen videos of them serving breakfast before.

When purchasing my ticket, I noticed the Portland section was about $400 more expensive than the Seattle section. I figured this is not for the food, given the diner is coming to Seattle.
Probably due to the lower amount of rooms available, buckets are higher.

alanh

OBS Chief
AU Supporter
That also shows that they're adding milk to the eggs for no readily explicable reason. (Which makes them inedible for my dairy-allergic friends.)
It may be the cheese that's the dairy allergen.

It's been a while since I've been on board (I'm finally looking at coming back) but a classic complaint was that you couldn't get eggs your way because they were using pasteurized liquid eggs, so scrambled was the only option. Did that change that at some point?

niemi24s

Engineer
Probably due to the lower amount of rooms available, buckets are higher.
Cal nailed it. The individual bucket levels on the EB to/from PDX are actually only $1 or $2 more than those on the EB to/from SEA. If you poke around on Arrow long enough using different dates, you might even find one where the SEA section was $400 more than the PDX section for the same kind of room.

Reactions: Cal

acelafan

OBS Chief
I was on #7 about a week ago and yes, breakfast is served. I think the diner opens at 530 AM if I remember right.

Just got back from a FL-NY round trip on the Meteor, featuring(?) Flex Dining.

Thumbs up on the Salmon, Enchilada, and French Toast.

Chicken ala Rosa -- ok in a pinch, but I wouldn't order it again unless I were on a multi-night trip and got tired of the salmon.

Table syrup was served with French Toast in both directions. Tabasco was available northbound (I didn't ask southbound.) Warm roll with butter included in both dinners (can't remember about lunch.) No salads southbound; SCA said they were received frozen so they were discarded. Northbound salad included choice of ranch or Italian dressing.

Moynihan Lounge at NYP had excellent pre-packaged salad, nice little sandwiches & roll-ups, high-end bottled soda, good coffee, and a good selection of snacks and pre-packaged pound cake slices.

ETA: Forgot to mention: dining car was nearly empty. Most I saw was about 4 tables occupied at a breakfast. I noticed a fairly steady stream of SCA'S carrying food out, and one passenger picking up and carrying out his own food. I wandered into the Cafe car just for a peek, and there was a prettty good-sized line.
Just rode 92, Silver Star. Everyone has different tastes but I personally took one bite of the salmon and could not eat any more. Tried the rice and it was suffused with what I thought was a disgusting taste. All I could eat was the mini salad, roll and dessert. For the rest of the long trip I ate some food I had brought along. I wish they could return to the 'Contemporary Dining" they featured when they first dropped real food service. The cold meat/cheese platter was really good. It even included a half (375 ml) bottle of quality wine (I think Chateau St Jean). What they are serving now is worse than any airline food I have ever had. I don't know how they could do worse. Oh...I did eat breakfast. Coffee, muffin and decent yogurt. That was OK.

• Sad
Reactions: Cal

Sidney

OBS Chief
Just rode 92, Silver Star. Everyone has different tastes but I personally took one bite of the salmon and could not eat any more. Tried the rice and it was suffused with what I thought was a disgusting taste. All I could eat was the mini salad, roll and dessert. For the rest of the long trip I ate some food I had brought along. I wish they could return to the 'Contemporary Dining" they featured when they first dropped real food service. The cold meat/cheese platter was really good. It even included a half (375 ml) bottle of quality wine (I think Chateau St Jean). What they are serving now is worse than any airline food I have ever had. I don't know how they could do worse. Oh...I did eat breakfast. Coffee, muffin and decent yogurt. That was OK.
I've had the flex french toast twice and each time I broke a fork trying to cut it. Too hard to eat. A complete 180 from traditional dining french toast. Traditional dining can't return soon enough to the Eastern trains and the Eagle.