Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Working age passengers must forfeit extra vacation days (in a country that guarantees zero) to ride Amtrak in the best of times. Now we are expected to eat much lower quality meals while paying even more than before for the privilege. Most stations lack easy access to markets or restaurants from which to buy our own fresh meals and based on recent reports we can no longer be assured of enough ice to refill a cooler. This sounds like a legitimate complaint to me.
Some of us also know that it did not used to be and does not have to be this way.
It is quite legitimate to complain about most aspects of Amtrak, to be fair! My point is that given the food service is so poor nowadays, it need not stop one from taking a train, if one is prepared to be flexible about bringing nice food from home. I assume the increased fares are "market forces", the bedrock of American culture? ;)

I have enjoyed lamb shanks, steaks, etc on Amtrak trains, but that was then, not today. I look forward to my next ride, and will simply pack some decent food to my tastes. I can survive a day or two without a hot meal!

As to ordering meals to meet the train, or visiting restaurants en-route, I would say that is a tricky plan, simply due to timekeeping.
Indian Railways have an app that allows one to order food to be brought to the train at certain stations, I believe it works well. I tend to order from the onboard catering teams who bring a tray of hot food to your seat/berth.
Just bring some food from home is my suggestion, it won't suit every tummy though! :D

Thinking about doing an upcoming trip from Boston to Maricopa to visit family. That would be the LSL to the Texas Eagle from what I understand. Already thinking about somehow planning my dinners out.

Albany looks like it has a few nearby decent restaurantswhile #449 attaches to #49. Breakfast in Chicago would be fine. Then on the Texas Eagle portion, we were thinking about trying to get something from that Old Spaghetti Factory in St. Louis provided the train is on time. Next day, maybe trying to get something in either Dallas or Ft. Worth during the layover. Only problem would be keeping the food warm until the night as there are no microwaves available to passengers on board the train 😕..and we realize that if the train is late, any meal planning is out the window.

My main question is has anyone ever tried to plan ahead - where the train has a decent layover - grabbed a decent meal for either breakfast, lunch or dinner by either having the food delivered to the station, or maybe even hopping in a cab to a nearby good restaurant?

Hassle? Yes. But better than eating salt for days on end.
Actually, the more immediate problem you face in trying to realize this trip, as I found in planning my own, is that the Lake Shore no longer connects same day with the Texas Eagle. The former arrives Chicago Mo/Th/Sa; the latter leaves Tu/Fr/Su.

Spending a night in Chicago is the only alternative. There are several hotels within walking distance of Union Station. All three trains,Lake Shore,Capitol and Cardinal leave the same three days of the week. You can get to Pittsburgh and Buffalo every day. Cleveland,Toledo,South Bend and Chicago can only be reached three days a week. From Chicago to LA,if you are going direct you can alternate between the Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle six days a week.

Actually, the more immediate problem you face in trying to realize this trip, as I found in planning my own, is that the Lake Shore no longer connects same day with the Texas Eagle. The former arrives Chicago Mo/Th/Sa; the latter leaves Tu/Fr/Su.

On the plus side, that leaves plenty of time to find a real meal somewhere and to restock one's cooler. Better, you could have breakfast in Chicago, then maybe catch a corridor train to St. Louis and have dinner and spend the night there. Then order a takeout dinner there to take aboard the Eagle when it leaves the next night. And there's always the all-night Denny's in San Antonio for the next night's dinner, though it might be a bit past the normal dinner hour.

Really, if we followed the Richard Anderson vision for long-distance rail service, you'd ideally take eight or nine day trains to get from Boston to Arizona, stopping each night to find your own meals and services. Of course, you could do the same thing driving, but at least if you go by train you wouldn't be stuck behind the wheel for all of those days.

Last edited:
Thinking about doing an upcoming trip from Boston to Maricopa to visit family. That would be the LSL to the Texas Eagle from what I understand. Already thinking about somehow planning my dinners out.

Albany looks like it has a few nearby decent restaurantswhile #449 attaches to #49. Breakfast in Chicago would be fine. Then on the Texas Eagle portion, we were thinking about trying to get something from that Old Spaghetti Factory in St. Louis provided the train is on time. Next day, maybe trying to get something in either Dallas or Ft. Worth during the layover. Only problem would be keeping the food warm until the night as there are no microwaves available to passengers on board the train 😕..and we realize that if the train is late, any meal planning is out the window.

My main question is has anyone ever tried to plan ahead - where the train has a decent layover - grabbed a decent meal for either breakfast, lunch or dinner by either having the food delivered to the station, or maybe even hopping in a cab to a nearby good restaurant?

Hassle? Yes. But better than eating salt for days on end.
In a number of other postings, people have commented on the Burrito Lady in El Paso that sells burritos and similar right by the track, I guess. Apparently, she is usually there, but not always. No one has ever commented on whether the burritos she sells are salty or not, but her food is popular.

In a number of other postings, people have commented on the Burrito Lady in El Paso that sells burritos and similar right by the track, I guess. Apparently, she is usually there, but not always. No one has ever commented on whether the burritos she sells are salty or not, but her food is popular.
They're not super salty tasting but I'm certain they're not low-salt.

It seemed to vary. Sometimes they were more salty than other trips but still edible. Sometimes the tortilla was kind of soggy but other times it was fine. I have maybe 75% luck with seeing the burrito lady but no guarantees. She does good business and I've often wondered why nobody else shows up with other options. Perhaps she's the only one allowed on the platform. Downtown ELP used to be kind of downtrodden but it has since seen a renaissance of sorts, or at least had before the pandemic. The Sunset often stops long enough for a well timed delivery but sometimes UP will park the train where nobody can reach it just before the station. I'm not sure what delivery services typically do if you're not there to collect the food but I'd imagine they don't wait long.

Last edited:
FWIW, with seven weeks remaining until the possible return of traditional dining this thread could grow by about 600 posts if the current posting rate is maintained.

Spending a night in Chicago is the only alternative. There are several hotels within walking distance of Union Station. All three trains,Lake Shore,Capitol and Cardinal leave the same three days of the week. You can get to Pittsburgh and Buffalo every day. Cleveland,Toledo,South Bend and Chicago can only be reached three days a week. From Chicago to LA,if you are going direct you can alternate between the Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle six days a week.

Actually, you can't get to Pittsburgh every day. Only train between Chicago and Pittsburgh is the Capitol Limited.

You can get to Pittsburgh every day on the Pennsylvanian from New York and Philly. I was saying West of Pittsburgh is only three days a week

… And for the 1000th time, it sucks - but until Covid is over, there will be no change. Even a small, simple change would require retraining their staff, which they would see as costing money. Therefore it won’t happen until after Covid.

The main law that forced them to cut dining services to the bone - which they have implemented very poorly irrespective of cost - has been taken off the books. But for the 1001st time, there’s not much we can do until the pandemic is over.

And to once again emphasize the point... don't travel if you don't have to. It simply makes no sense to put your life at risk for the sake of riding on the train. Wait, be patient, stay safe, wear your mask, wash your hands... and be ever so grateful that you don't have COVID... that will soon have taken the lives of 500,000 Americans.

Safe, alive, and healthy... you are living the dream! 🌈

haltom_city_sanitary_precautions_covid_19.png

5C fact sheet_FFO-page-001.jpg

There are several trips I would like to make - now that I have the time. However, as much as I would like to ... no way I am booking a trip tp anywhere.

Stay safe people ... stay positive - and test negative 👍

On the plus side, that leaves plenty of time to find a real meal somewhere and to restock one's cooler. Better, you could have breakfast in Chicago, then maybe catch a corridor train to St. Louis and have dinner and spend the night there. Then order a takeout dinner there to take aboard the Eagle when it leaves the next night. And there's always the all-night Denny's in San Antonio for the next night's dinner, though it might be a bit past the normal dinner hour.

Really, if we followed the Richard Anderson vision for long-distance rail service, you'd ideally take eight or nine day trains to get from Boston to Arizona, stopping each night to find your own meals and services. Of course, you could do the same thing driving, but at least if you go by train you wouldn't be stuck behind the wheel for all of those days.
Unfortunately the problem is that the only 2 corridor trains are in the AM, and the PM. The one in the AM departs at 9:25AM, before the LSL arrives into Chicago and that is if it is even on time to begin with, and the PM one would npt arrive into STL until after midnight. Yikes!

It is quite legitimate to complain about most aspects of Amtrak, to be fair! My point is that given the food service is so poor nowadays, it need not stop one from taking a train, if one is prepared to be flexible about bringing nice food from home. I assume the increased fares are "market forces", the bedrock of American culture? ;)

I have enjoyed lamb shanks, steaks, etc on Amtrak trains, but that was then, not today. I look forward to my next ride, and will simply pack some decent food to my tastes. I can survive a day or two without a hot meal!

As to ordering meals to meet the train, or visiting restaurants en-route, I would say that is a tricky plan, simply due to timekeeping.
Indian Railways have an app that allows one to order food to be brought to the train at certain stations, I believe it works well. I tend to order from the onboard catering teams who bring a tray of hot food to your seat/berth.
Just bring some food from home is my suggestion, it won't suit every tummy though! :D
North Korean trains serve no food. You have to bring it on board with you. Here is a fascinating account of a trip ... the ONLY trip possible for Westerners ... recently taken from Pyongyang to the Chinese border. Take a train through North Korea's rarely seen countryside

Enjoyed your post... and agree that the food sham shouldn't deter one from an Amtrak trip.

Food can be picked up at major stations ... such as Pret a Manger in Chicago and stations in the east; rated highly with low fat low sodium but rich in taste and texture.

The big challenge is for those longer 3 day 2 night trips in the west... or the 4 day 3 night journey on the Texas Eagle. Peanut butter and jelly on crackers; salami and cheese... are some of the most durable foods to survive a long journey. Here are some ideas seen around the internet with great suggestions!

Remember... it is an Amtrak policy to provide hot water if requested in the cafe... they will also provide ice... COVID may cause temporary changes... and 'attendant attitudes' vary as well.

https://www.eatlikenoone.com/tips-for-packing-food-for-an-amtrak-train-trip.htm
https://ditchingsuburbia.com/blog/amtrak

amtrak-trip-01.jpg

1060-d1063ae057f3dbe95b21aa98b3aaf8d3.jpg

I suspect Mr Anderson's idea was to eliminate LD altogether!
Re food in Chicago: Have they opened Chicago restaurants? I cancelled a trip a few months ago. At that time there were no restaurants open, just take out.

Re food in Chicago: Have they opened Chicago restaurants? I cancelled a trip a few months ago. At that time there were no restaurants open, just take out.
Sadly I just saw that Pret a manger at Chicago Union Station is not open... hoping they will come back after the pandemic.

But no one should attempt discretionary travel now with the more contagious variants of COVID surfacing. We should all be patient... follow all directives from the CDC, and hope the vaccines will become available soon...

Indoor dining is supposedly returning (lots of confusing and conflicting information out there), but at very restricted capacity. But lots of places are closed down, either long-term or permanently. I’m in agreement that it’s really just not advisable to travel right now. Then you don’t have to worry at all about what food you’ll need to find while on the road.

Indoor dining is supposedly returning (lots of confusing and conflicting information out there), but at very restricted capacity. But lots of places are closed down, either long-term or permanently. I’m in agreement that it’s really just not advisable to travel right now. Then you don’t have to worry at all about what food you’ll need to find while on the road.

I just read that even after that 2nd shot care needs to be taken as one can become a 'carrier' and not know it. Hard to imagine it is possible to take the life of a person at risk. And not even know it!!!

Please do re read the above. Really scary stuff.

Now is the time to be extremely considerate of others. I am absolutely awe struck at the fragility of life during this pandemic.

There was never a more important time in history... that I can remember... when consideration for others has become so important.

Consideration, patience, diligence, and responsibility... means everything right now.

https://travel.usnews.com/features/...-vacation-safely-during-the-covid-19-pandemic

activity-risk-infographic.jpg

I just read that even after that 2nd shot care needs to be taken as one can become a 'carrier' and not know it. Hard to imagine it is possible to take the life of a person at risk. And not even know it!!!

Please do re read the above. Really scary stuff.

Now is the time to be extremely considerate of others. I am absolutely awe struck at the fragility of life during this pandemic.

There was never a more important time in history... that I can remember... when consideration for others has become so important.

Consideration, patience, diligence, and responsibility... means everything right now.

I can add a few more:

Lowest Risk
Taking a solo spaceflight to Mars
Following a ship of the Swiss Navy in your personal submarine.
Taking a walk along the Jornada del Muerto in New Mexico
Not inhaling
Moving to Death Valley
Consensual Sexting - unless you're a congressional candidate

Low Risk
Looking at a "flex meal"
Smoking marijuana but "not inhaling"
Traveling in a room on Amtrak and having a sign on your door that says "No flex meals please".

Medium Risk
Having a small taste of a "flex meal"
Cursing at the conductor
Asking a fellow Amtrak passenger from [you know what state] if the woman beside him is his sister, his wife or both.

High Risk
Eating a "flex meal"
Being a diabetic and stuffing yourself at on the current Amtrak breakfasts.
Meeting starving friends at Donner Pass
Supporting Trump your whole life then telling him you have a minor disagreement with him on an issue.
Telling the conductor he/she reminds you of "flex meals"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back