Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had them on the Texas Eagle 21 today for lunch and they were better than I expected. I was tempted to get the meatballs for dinner but stuck with the ribs. When I make my return trip north tomorrow on 22, I might try the meatballs at least once. Nothing on flex compares to traditional to me, however.
They MIGHT have been a good idea in the beginning, but the portions are skimpy and the "cooking" - reheating is uneven. This last weekend (Wed - Monday)I had the "beef" and the "pasta". the "Beef" was fair, the potatoes were brown on the periphery and cool in the middle. THe pasta was mushy, meatballs relatively tasteless and mushy. Only my trusty bottle of Cholula helped. A little.
I ate from our cooler and fared much better. My egg/cheese/bacon hot sandwiches freshly made were excellent.
The words "FLEX" and "DINING" are mutually exclusive.
Bill the server was at least competent, friendly and a joy. The Scas were - to put it mildly - unattentive and uncommunicative.

They MIGHT have been a good idea in the beginning, but the portions are skimpy and the "cooking" - reheating is uneven. This last weekend (Wed - Monday)I had the "beef" and the "pasta". the "Beef" was fair, the potatoes were brown on the periphery and cool in the middle. THe pasta was mushy, meatballs relatively tasteless and mushy. Only my trusty bottle of Cholula helped. A little.
I ate from our cooler and fared much better. My egg/cheese/bacon hot sandwiches freshly made were excellent.
The words "FLEX" and "DINING" are mutually exclusive.
Bill the server was at least competent, friendly and a joy. The Scas were - to put it mildly - unattentive and uncommunicative.

I do agree with most of what you said. As I stated before, I was surprised that it tasted good as I’ve had my share of flex meals and they ranged from awful to barely edible. I’ve had my meals in my room and the dining attendant just brought my lunch as I’m typing this. He’s one of the better ones I’ve had in my hundreds of trips on Amtrak. I had him for the first time on 21(4) and have him again on 22(6). Also, my SCA, who I’ve had on those trains is a “repeat offender” I’ve experienced him on the Empire Builder and when he was extra board on the LSL. Hard worker, very attentive and an all around great guy!

Back to flex, if we must…. It can disappear permanently from existence in my opinion and Amtrak should never have made that mistake in the first place! Give me a crab lobster cake, flat iron steak and cheesecake any time over the garbage of flex.

On the Silver Star on 3/19-20, our meals were served in a cardboard box, both in-room and IN THE DINING CAR.
There is a Dining Car? Where? I thought it was the Sleeper Lounge Car even though it does say Dining Car outside :D

On the Silver Star on 3/19-20, our meals were served in a cardboard box, both in-room and IN THE DINING CAR.
I personally think the boxes are an efficient way to serve the flex meals. I had no complaints about the method of serving the meals during my last Silver Star trip at the end of March. I think the crew is doing the best they can in the circumstances.

I personally think the boxes are an efficient way to serve the flex meals. I had no complaints about the method of serving the meals during my last Silver Star trip at the end of March. I think the crew is doing the best they can in the circumstances.

Well, the boxes are an efficient way of serving this stuff. Boxes are also excellent for taking out the trash.
This last weekend, we got the trash delivered on the little black plastic tray. Again, trash is trash no matter the container.
And you are right, most of the attendants try to make the best of it.

What did Amtrak say about food service in the RPA presentation last week?
AFAIAC Larry Chestler was a disappointment. It was mostly standard platitudes with one or two pieces of useful information about timelines for equipment acquisition. I don't recall hearing much about food, but then it is possible I had dozed off.

Will be on the California Zephyr in early June. Just wondering if the "real food" (traditional) is back? Thanks!
Yes, all western LD trains except Texas Eagle have traditional dining, but ONLY for sleeper passengers. Coach passengers only have access to the Cafe car.

You can verify this on the website booking page by clicking on "Trip Details", then "Services" on a displayed itinerary.

Just completed a run on the Zephyr from Denver to Emeryville. We had a good time…the scenery on that train is glorious. I love my Amtrak grits though…that and some eggs are a classic railroad meal for me. Well… on this train at least…..you can’t get the grits unless you have a continental Breakfast….in which case you can’t get the eggs. It’s a catch 22!

Also I was told I can’t have an iPad at my table…which, at my age, is just used as a big iPhone so I can see the damn thing, which everyone else had a phone and seemed to be ok….I know I should just be looking out the window anyway.

it was a great trip and there was a cloud over Donner Pass I had to yell at…but I still love the trains!

Just completed a run on the Zephyr from Denver to Emeryville. We had a good time…the scenery on that train is glorious. I love my Amtrak grits though…that and some eggs are a classic railroad meal for me. Well… on this train at least…..you can’t get the grits unless you have a continental Breakfast….in which case you can’t get the eggs. It’s a catch 22!

Also I was told I can’t have an iPad at my table…which, at my age, is just used as a big iPhone so I can see the damn thing, which everyone else had a phone and seemed to be ok….I know I should just be looking out the window anyway.

it was a great trip and there was a cloud over Donner Pass I had to yell at…but I still love the trains!
Wow it seems if they already have grits and have eggs they should be able to put both on a plate. Personally I'm not a big fan, as a confirmed Yankee I prefer potatoes for my nutrition free calories at breakfast. But I imagine there is a large segment of the population that would appreciate a fairly simple to add menu addition.

As for the iPad ban that seems strange. I see people with entire laptops at their table in restaurants. Does this mean if I brought a book with me to the diner (as I might do if traveling alone) that would not be allowed?

I’ve heard no laptops, no books, no cell phones, etc. on Amtrak. And yes a very silly rule.
I agree that it's silly to have it as a rule, but it's also silly the way some antisocial people hide behind their phone or tablet as if nobody is seated with them. If someone wants no social contact they should get their food to go instead of pretending they're seated alone despite all evidence to the contrary. 😅

I agree that it's silly to have it as a rule, but it's also silly the way some antisocial people hide behind their phone or tablet as if nobody is seated with them. If someone wants no social contact they should get their food to go instead of pretending they're seated alone despite all evidence to the contrary. 😅
I agree here, as one who by and large is not very social. I've been told I'm the type of person who gets lost in a crowd of two, and I can't disagree with that. 😂 Yet I enjoy the camaraderie of the dining car and actually (gasp!!) look forward to meeting new people in the diner. Ordinarily, the thought of meeting new people makes me very nervous.

During my December CS trip me and my travelling partner were seated with two ladies who were on their phone and talking with each other the whole time. No word from the crew.

Is it true that the legislation requires an independent committee to determine best course for what Amtrak dining metrics were to be? So, if that is true, we are not going to see any improvement until a recommendation is made. The other problem now IMO is that the lack of OBS to assign to diners means service is going to be crappy until then. Plus, no coach passengers in diner yet?

I agree here, as one who by and large is not very social. I've been told I'm the type of person who gets lost in a crowd of two, and I can't disagree with that. 😂 Yet I enjoy the camaraderie of the dining car and actually (gasp!!) look forward to meeting new people in the diner. Ordinarily, the thought of meeting new people makes me very nervous.
I’m a little like that, but on my last few trips they seat you singular. I’ve actually said I didn’t mind sitting with other folks only to have no takers….although that could just be me😳

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back