Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Make believe you worked for Amtrak. Tell me how you would order meals for 5 cars full of coach passengers if they were able to use the dining car? Suppose you ran out? At least with sleeper passengers you know how many you are dealing with. Then you are only dealing with ordering types of meals. But at least you would not have to tell a sleeping car passenger, "Gee, we ran out of food".

On my 2017 trip on the TE the dinner seating reservations were given out democratically. There were three seatings.

A conductor made the announcement that all Coach passengers had two options to get a reservation - the first was for the px to walk to the end of the last Coach and meetup with the conductor and get handed a reservation - the second option was - then later the conductor walked the aisle from back to front of train - along the way - announcing the remaining seatings. Then you could get a reservation too - unless they were all taken.

I didn’t know about communal dining until in the dining car. I almost wanted to wait for a single table but now I really miss it. In 2021 I brought a nice dark blue dress jacket to wear in the dining car but it never happen since I was in Coach. Looking forward to my next trip - hopefully with communal dining - in just eight weeks.

Make believe you worked for Amtrak. Tell me how you would order meals for 5 cars full of coach passengers if they were able to use the dining car? Suppose you ran out? At least with sleeper passengers you know how many you are dealing with. Then you are only dealing with ordering types of meals. But at least you would not have to tell a sleeping car passenger, "Gee, we ran out of food".
make believe you rode amtrak in coach "back in the day"...we had at least two meals a day in the dining car (revenue much?) and although sometimes things had run out if we had late reservations, there were plenty of choices....guess they knew how to run a railroad with an emphasis on customer service for ALL the customers, smh

make believe you rode amtrak in coach "back in the day"...we had at least two meals a day in the dining car (revenue much?) and although sometimes things had run out if we had late reservations, there were plenty of choices....guess they knew how to run a railroad with an emphasis on customer service for ALL the customers, smh
Yes, take a trip on the Southwest Limited in the summer of 1978. That ex-Santa Fe hi-level dining car and its accommodating crew put out a great variety of very good meals for a large number of passengers without a meltdown in service.

In years past, the Lake Shore Limited served many coach passengers in its diner and managed to do so without running out of food. And the ability to get a full meal while traveling was a reason to choose it over other trains for local travel across upstate New York. Today, it has become the train to avoid for NY state travel because the food situation on board is so bad -- with no food service of any kind for coach passengers between New York and Albany.

The comments about broken forks reminds me of a trip I took on the Cardinal with a friend while we were sophomores in high school. I forgot what we ate exactly but it was not that great since it was an amdinette and the food was microwaved. I remember my friend picking up his cinnamon role, looking at it with a curious expression, and then banging it on the table to make a knocking noise. The expression on his face was priceless. He verbally skewered me for extolling the virtues of eating on a moving train.

The other part of that meal experience was the rough trackage in West Virginia. The train moved up, down, up down, and then side to side on the switches with such vigor that my friends drink ended up sloshing out of the cup and onto the table. He was not impressed.

Last edited:
The other part of that meal experience was the rough trackage in West Virginia. The train moved up, down, up down, and then side to side on the switches with such vigor that my friends drink ended up sloshing out of the cup and onto the table. He was not impressed.

Many years ago when C & 0 ran a train from Cincinnati to Washington, my traveling companion and I experienced the same thing. Not long after leaving Cincinnati, we went to the Diner for dinner. First course was soup. The Waiter put the cup of soup with a saucer underneath on the table and about half of the soup slopped out onto the saucer. This was my friend's first train trip, but, he didn't complain. We were both just surprised.

That's not always true!( see many Trips from He'll Reports here on AU!)

As I posted in the Silvers thread, I have just heard from a friend, who is an Amtrak employee, who is friends with Amtrak employees in the Miami crew base, that when the Meteor returns northbound on September 11th, traditional dining will also return.

Please keep in mind that this is hearsay and not official, but I think it is very good news for my October trip on the Meteor.
FYI, my friend said it was OK to post here. :)

As I posted in the Silvers thread, I have just heard from a friend, who is an Amtrak employee, who is friends with Amtrak employees in the Miami crew base, that when the Meteor returns northbound on September 11th, traditional dining will also return.

Please keep in mind that this is hearsay and not official, but I think it is very good news for my October trip on the Meteor.
Wonder if this is on all the Eastern trains and the Eagle? Hope it's true

the first was for the px to walk to the end of the last Coach and meetup with the conductor and get handed a reservation - the second option was - then later the conductor walked the aisle from back to front of train - along the way - announcing the remaining seatings. Then you could get a reservation too - unless they were all taken.
I think it was the LSA (Lead Service Attendant), who generally handles the dining car announcements and reservations on trains. :)

Hi everyone,

new here: my first post in this forum except the one introducing myself in the "new members" section (yet I've been reading for a couple of weeks).

I hope it is correct to just make this post here. It is indeed linked to Amtrak dining (its schedules, its realities ... ).

I am roughly 3 weeks away from a trip to, and through, the U.S.

A main aim of the trip is ... train travel.

Could you please enlighten me which meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) I can expect given my schedule specified below? I know that there are time slots set by Amtrak, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I was wondering what passengers boarding or de-training at intermediate stops might expect catering-wise, including in the (of course highly unlikely) event of a train running, err, late. ;-)

I like the dining car atmosphere, so the aim would be to eat in the diner rather than in the cabin.

Here are the trips I've booked, in sleeper accommodation (roomette that is):

#49 LSL from NYP to Albany. Yes, I know it is crazy to book a roomette for a short afternoon trip, yet this is the only possibility for me to experience a Viewliner roomette. So, the LSL has got a Viewliner Diner if I understand correctly and dinner should be included for sleeper guests. The timeslot for dinner starts at 05:00 PM which would be in time for having dinner before arriving at Albany (where I will de-train). I seem to remember, however, having read that no dining car service will be available before Albany. I do not remember where I have read that. I will be in the New York portion (which has got the VL Diner on its way to Albany) and will be in a sleeper (and thus entitled to have dinner, I think.) How would you assess the chances of getting dinner in the Viewliner Diner before arriving at Albany? I understand there is flex dining one this train, steamed, convected, micro-waved or whatever. The advantage is: it would be ready any time and just requires being warmed up. The question is whether the dining car staff will serve dinner before the train arrives at Albany.

#3 SWC form Flagstaff to LAX (hoping that service on the SWC, currently interrupted because of wildfires, will be restored by then). Scheduled departure time from FLG, shortly before 09:00 PM, is just within the dinner time slot. However, #3 is almost always late at FLG. Should I forget about having dinner on the SWC that evening?

#5 from DEN to its Californian terminus. Will I get breakfast also on the first day, the scheduled departure time of the CZ from DEN being 08:05 AM? The aim would be to be seated in the diner right at departure since I wanted to have my breakfast finished before the train starts its scenic climb towards the continental divide. Between Big Ten Curve and the tunnel district I would love to take picture through the rear window of the last car (that being a Viewliner coach and I hope I would be allowed to stand there taking pictures ...). I know there is a lounge car with panorama windows too, yet this doesn't give me track view.

#50 Cardinal from Manassas to Baltimore is mentioned last here, although it is planned to be the first of all legs (after landing on a transatlantic flight at Washington Dulles Airport). I will travel in coach class on #50, yet I understand there is an (Amfleet ?) cafe car in the consist. Can I, as a coach passenger, purchase drinks and food at the cafe car, and enjoy them in this very car before returning to my coach seat?

Many thanks, best regards from Europe and again hello!

Andreas

Sorry to steer the current direction of this thread, but it does seem to be a catch all thread about Amtrak dining. I'll be taking my first Amtrak long distance trip in June on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, and Empire Builder. I have a roomette for all legs so my meals are included and it looks like that includes a beverage at the meal. Does it include any additional FREE beverages that I can consume in my roomette during the trip? Water? Diet Coke? Or am I limited to what I buy in the snack bar? I'm not a coffee drinker.

*NOTE - I will confess to a slight Diet Coke addiction.

Hi everyone,

new here: my first post in this forum except the one introducing myself in the "new members" section (yet I've been reading for a couple of weeks).

I hope it is correct to just make this post here. It is indeed linked to Amtrak dining (its schedules, its realities ... ).

I am roughly 3 weeks away from a trip to, and through, the U.S.

A main aim of the trip is ... train travel.

Could you please enlighten me which meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner) I can expect given my schedule specified below? I know that there are time slots set by Amtrak, for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and I was wondering what passengers boarding or de-training at intermediate stops might expect catering-wise, including in the (of course highly unlikely) event of a train running, err, late. ;-)

I like the dining car atmosphere, so the aim would be to eat in the diner rather than in the cabin.

Here are the trips I've booked, in sleeper accommodation (roomette that is):

#49 LSL from NYP to Albany. Yes, I know it is crazy to book a roomette for a short afternoon trip, yet this is the only possibility for me to experience a Viewliner roomette. So, the LSL has got a Viewliner Diner if I understand correctly and dinner should be included for sleeper guests. The timeslot for dinner starts at 05:00 PM which would be in time for having dinner before arriving at Albany (where I will de-train). I seem to remember, however, having read that no dining car service will be available before Albany. I do not remember where I have read that. I will be in the New York portion (which has got the VL Diner on its way to Albany) and will be in a sleeper (and thus entitled to have dinner, I think.) How would you assess the chances of getting dinner in the Viewliner Diner before arriving at Albany? I understand there is flex dining one this train, steamed, convected, micro-waved or whatever. The advantage is: it would be ready any time and just requires being warmed up. The question is whether the dining car staff will serve dinner before the train arrives at Albany.

#3 SWC form Flagstaff to LAX (hoping that service on the SWC, currently interrupted because of wildfires, will be restored by then). Scheduled departure time from FLG, shortly before 09:00 PM, is just within the dinner time slot. However, #3 is almost always late at FLG. Should I forget about having dinner on the SWC that evening?

#5 from DEN to its Californian terminus. Will I get breakfast also on the first day, the scheduled departure time of the CZ from DEN being 08:05 AM? The aim would be to be seated in the diner right at departure since I wanted to have my breakfast finished before the train starts its scenic climb towards the continental divide. Between Big Ten Curve and the tunnel district I would love to take picture through the rear window of the last car (that being a Viewliner coach and I hope I would be allowed to stand there taking pictures ...). I know there is a lounge car with panorama windows too, yet this doesn't give me track view.

#50 Cardinal from Manassas to Baltimore is mentioned last here, although it is planned to be the first of all legs (after landing on a transatlantic flight at Washington Dulles Airport). I will travel in coach class on #50, yet I understand there is an (Amfleet ?) cafe car in the consist. Can I, as a coach passenger, purchase drinks and food at the cafe car, and enjoy them in this very car before returning to my coach seat?

Many thanks, best regards from Europe and again hello!

Andreas

Welcome, and I hope you enjoy your trip. I'll take the first two questions and leave the rest to others who have more recent experience with those trains.

On the Lake Shore Limited, if you have a sleeper room, you should be offered dinner service before Albany, probably about 5 p.m. It will be "flex dining," which means a prefab meal presented in its freezer tub, which you can opt to consume at a bare table in the dining car -- or you can take it back to your room. (The reference you may have seen to no food service before Albany likely was discussing coach passengers, as there is no food car other than the diner, which is open only to sleeper passengers, until west of Albany.)

From Flagstaff to Los Angeles, I would plan on having dinner before you board at Flagstaff. On the plus side, the diner normally opens for breakfast quite early on the approach to LA.

Sorry to steer the current direction of this thread, but it does seem to be a catch all thread about Amtrak dining. I'll be taking my first Amtrak long distance trip in June on the California Zephyr, Coast Starlight, and Empire Builder. I have a roomette for all legs so my meals are included and it looks like that includes a beverage at the meal. Does it include any additional FREE beverages that I can consume in my roomette during the trip? Water? Diet Coke? Or am I limited to what I buy in the snack bar? I'm not a coffee drinker.

*NOTE - I will confess to a slight Diet Coke addiction.

The sleeper rooms normally are stocked with bottled water, and the car attendant should be able to provide more if you run out. I don't know if the pandemic has affected this, but pre-pandemic there normally was orange juice and ice available at the coffee station in each sleeping car.

Your trip sounds excellent -- three of the most scenic routes, and you're taking them in the right order to see the best scenery in daylight. Enjoy!

I'm a bit muddled, too, on the issue of non-alcoholic drinks for sleeper passengers.

I've seen trip reports saying we get them free for the duration of the trip, not just at mealtimes. Is that accurate? Does it apply to both flex & traditional dining? Does one just go to the diner and ask for it? Or to the cafe/lounge?

Penny did they say if both the Star and Meteor will get it? If so that will be a great treat for me as I have an October trip also! Though just meteor would too as my return north is on the meteor

Last edited:
Penny dod they say if both the Star and Meteor will get it? If so that will be a great treat for me as I have an October trip also! Though just meteor would too as my return north is on the meteor
I re-read the message and my friend said both trains, so, I am assuming both the Star and Meteor will have traditional dining northbound on 9/11 and southbound on 9/13. Hopefully. 🤞

I re-read the message and my friend said both trains, so, I am assuming both the Star and Meteor will have traditional dining northbound on 9/11 and southbound on 9/13. Hopefully. 🤞
What do you (and others) think the likelihood of all eastern trains (or at least some) getting it when at the same time as well?

What do you (and others) think the likelihood of all eastern trains (or at least some) getting it when at the same time as well?
The other one that might get it at that time is the Lake Shore. Just my WAG based on nothing I might add. 🤷‍♂️

That just leaves the Crescent which will allegedly get its Diner back in the same timeframe. There are enough Diner cars available for the Cardinal to get a Diner too but I suspect that requires taking a few out of the mothball bank, which won;t happen this year for sure, and probably not even in five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back