Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that it's silly to have it as a rule, but it's also silly the way some antisocial people hide behind their phone or tablet as if nobody is seated with them. If someone wants no social contact they should get their food to go instead of pretending they're seated alone despite all evidence to the contrary. 😅
Are we talking about dining on an Amtrak train or a 7th grade study hall???

Being sociable doesn't necessarily mean making small talk. It just means treating your dining companion like a human being, and communicating your expectations.

If I was seated with a stranger, and the stranger said to me "Sorry, but I've had a really long day and just wanted to read my book/check my emails while I eat, do you mind?" Not only would the answer be "Of course, go right ahead!" but the entire situation is immediately less awkward for everyone involved. The silence is now comfortable-- everyone knows what to expect.

Things get weird when the silence is left unexplained.

When seated for a meal with others on an Amtrak trip... I've always been fascinated with where others are from and in general, their story. To me it is just part of rail travel and its good manners.

On the downside, when seated with someone totally involved with their cell phone... talking with someone or surfing it's unpleasant. So I get up... and go... coming back to eat later. Same when there are young kids at the table. I won't sit there and say so to the waiter who usually understands.

In these regards, things can get complicated for a single traveler during mandatory community seating with required reservations. This has been a long standing problem... but if you work with the dining car staff something usually can be worked out.

Wondering what kind of experience other single travelers on this forum have encountered...

I have no problem with most table mates. If they wish to converse I can carry on a conversation about almost any thing sensible or nonsensical, but try to avoid politics, pickup and other obnoxious scenarios. The Smartphone comes in very handy if things cannot be controlled otherwise. If they don't wish to talk that is fine by me too. The basic mission is food, not conversation for me, so as long as the food is forthcoming I would generally go with whatever happens to be the flow of the table and deal with it appropriately.

I have no problem with most table mates. If they wish to converse I can carry on a conversation about almost any thing sensible or nonsensical, but try to avoid politics, pickup and other obnoxious scenarios. The Smartphone comes in very handy if things cannot be controlled otherwise. If they don't wish to talk that is fine by me too. The basic mission is food, not conversation for me, so as long as the food is forthcoming I would generally go with whatever happens to be the flow of the table and deal with it appropriately.
I agree. I go to the dining car to eat. Normally there is good conversation but if someone isnt up for conversation its fine with me.

IMHO if I want to have a quiet dinner in silence I eat in my room and enjoy the scenery... which I do often. When I go to the dining room it is with the hope of meeting others who are traveling on the train and engage in conversation... which is one of the biggest advantages of train travel.

If indeed 'community seating' is reinstated after covid... it will be a pleasure to meet others while dining.

There are apparently many points of view... and I do respect the thoughts and ideas of others... part of our AU community.

Just being on the train is a good starting point for conversation. Usually I'll ask where they are going. I've had great conversations about train travel. Sometimes I'll meet people like myself who love traveling by Amtrak and all it's aspects. Other times I'll talk to people who are traveling for the first time on Amtrak or who rarely travel and I 'll answer any questions they have.

I never liked sitting side by side with a stranger(unless she's an attractive woman!) That's usually not the case. Since the pandemic they ask if you would mind sitting with others and you'll be sitting across from a solo traveler or a couple.

In regards to all the discussion about water and coffee, in almost all cases both should be available in your sleeper car - if your SCA is on the ball.

Despite the nice ice dispensers on the VL2 Sleepers, I have yet to see them in use. Kind of like the towel racks in the VL2 shower. Must take an act from on high to get the SCA‘s to take advantage of new features in the sleepers. Designing them in is not enough to get them used.

RE Service fluctuations and the numerous and constant difficulties that seem to be going on and on...

After all is said and done... what are AU'ers take on the how of tipping SCA's on basic services, protocols, and amenities provided to sleeper passengers so expensively charged... I mean... um... with all the stuff going on???

If you pay $1000 for a night ride NYP to CHI on the LSL... and get sloppy or non existent service due to 'issues' then what is your take when you disembark???

I get it that we need to be flexible when it comes to service abnormalities due to administrative blunders, covid, and the economy... but the fare paid is gone at the end of the trip. What are the thoughts of fellow rail travel supporters and enthusiasts?

In some respects I hate it. I ride because I like trains and endure poor service by some employees on some trains.

Amtrak's customer service issues long predate COVID and whatever else. It had been a problem for literally decades and there is NO excuse for it. At all.

At the end of the day it is Amtrak management's failure. A unionized workforce is NOT a valid excuse. You just have to follow the agreed upon procedures for discipline.

If upper management prioritized customer service excellence and set up incentives and rewards for it (do systematic customer satisfaction surveys and make customer service scores part of middle management's performance reviews and compensation for example), they will eventually get it. It will take awhile, thr current culture is highly ingrained and it would take a lot of time and consistent energy and focus to change it.

Get a new board, get a new management team, hire some execs from the hospitality industry. Create a C suite position of Chief Customer Service Officer, hire somebody from Disney Cruise Line to fill it, and empower them. Or beg Brian Rosenwald on bended knee to come back and give him carte blanche.

BTW, VIA's onboard staff went through COVID, extensive furloughs and all sorts of stuff. When I was on the Canadian a couple weeks ago the OBS staff was excellent, as is usual with VIA.

I concur with zephyr17’s take.

Maybe a silver lining with the Covid induced early retirements will be that a lot of the regular poor performers I saw on trains over and over again have finally retired. On recent trips, I have gone out of my way to try and encourage the younger folks I see in the OBS positions. I’m hopeful that they won’t become jaded like their predecessors, but until the culture at Amtrak changes that’s probably wishful thinking.

Just being on the train is a good starting point for conversation. Usually I'll ask where they are going. I've had great conversations about train travel. Sometimes I'll meet people like myself who love traveling by Amtrak and all it's aspects. Other times I'll talk to people who are traveling for the first time on Amtrak or who rarely travel and I 'll answer any questions they have.

I never liked sitting side by side with a stranger(unless she's an attractive woman!) That's usually not the case. Since the pandemic they ask if you would mind sitting with others and you'll be sitting across from a solo traveler or a couple.
Good point about starting with the journey. Obviously it's a fresh topic that is shared, for better or for worse. When service is fast there usually isn't much time left to get into other subjects.

I don't mind sitting next to others (I'm skinny) but I try to be aware of how they may feel about it. And it's easier to converse with people across the table who may feel more at ease with a stranger than they would sitting next to someone.

Having first dined in the Union Pacific Astra-Dome diner, complete with finger bowls, I learned some things about fine dining from childhood rail travel. Later on it helped me when at business dinners or when European waiters seated me with strangers in restaurants.

I'm not sure what one might learn from dining car service now. One thing that our father -- a "regular" on PDX<>SEA -- stressed was respect for the dining car crew. Some were fathers of kids who I knew at school. That's still important, but Amtrak sometimes makes that difficult.

Honestly, anywhere any more "service" is incredibly spotty. I see this in shops and in home-repair. (A running joke here is "don't have anything in your house break during deer season").

Likewise, in stores - can't find something? Just walk through the whole store yourself until you do, or order it on line. I needed help at the Lowe's yesterday getting something off a high shelf and had three employees either powerwalk past me or go "not my department" before I found someone to help. When I was in their earlier this year with a bigger issue I was told "Well, everyone quit and all the new employees don't know their jobs yet, that's why you waited a half-hour to talk to someone."

On the train, I usually tip the SCA. Exception is if they're not present when I get off and the conductor has to open the door and help me off. Or if they don't come to make up the bed and I have to do it myself. I've had a few really outstanding SCAs in the past. I've had a few who were simply absent. And in the dining car, more often than not, I've had grumpy people working there. It does make the experience worse to have someone snap at you when you ask if they have something (that is on the menu but they have been out of before).

I understand having bad days but I also understand that it makes other people's day worse if you're short or rude to them. (I teach, and oh so many times I've stuffed down my annoyance and not said anything to a student because I know it won't change anything and will just make everyone feel worse)

I just generally expect poor service, that's my experience. I suspect it will be even more of our experiences going forward. Maybe it was always that way and people didn't notice or forgave it more? I know I tend to be more passive than many people; I am not a "I want to talk to a manager" type, I'm much more likely to just leave the shop without buying something or at least note down not to go back there. But when everywhere has bad service, what does a person do?

In some respects I hate it. I ride because I like trains and endure poor service by some employees on some trains.

Amtrak's customer service issues long predate COVID and whatever else. It had been a problem for literally decades and there is NO excuse for it. At all.

At the end of the day it is Amtrak management's failure. A unionized workforce is NOT a valid excuse. You just have to follow the agreed upon procedures for discipline.

If upper management prioritized customer service excellence and set up incentives and rewards for it (do systematic customer satisfaction surveys and make customer service scores part of middle management's performance reviews and compensation for example), they will eventually get it. It will take awhile, thr current culture is highly ingrained and it would take a lot of time and consistent energy and focus to change it.

Get a new board, get a new management team, hire some execs from the hospitality industry. Create a C suite position of Chief Customer Service Officer, hire somebody from Disney Cruise Line to fill it, and empower them. Or beg Brian Rosenwald on bended knee to come back and give him carte blanche.

BTW, VIA's onboard staff went through COVID, extensive furloughs and all sorts of stuff. When I was on the Canadian a couple weeks ago the OBS staff was excellent, as is usual with VIA.
I agree it's a huge managerial issue. I even think some on this forum would make excellent managers of Customer Service. Especially those who have ridden trains for years and remember what "service" used to look like. IMO, whoever the manager might be should start by defining the word "hospitality". This should be at the top of the list and a major part of any/all AMTRAK job descriptions.
HOSPITALITY: The act or practice of one who is hospitable; reception and entertainment of strangers or guests without reward, or with liberality and kindness.

Something is seriously wrong when one boards AMTRAK and expects poor service with good service being the exception. There is an old saying that goes "any behavior that is being repeated is being supported".

Years ago I put my 80 yr old dad on the SWC for his return home, hoping he'd enjoy the train trip experience as much as I do. At his dining car table the other younger people completely ignored him while they continued conversations. He felt ostracized and left out, not a good experience for him. I was sad for him and kinda disgusted at his tablemates. Basic common courtesy is always a good thing. For those on devices, maybe take your food to go back to your sleeper if you want to be alone?

I always enjoyed meeting and chatting to tablemates in the diner, as well as meeting interesting characters in the lounge/viewing cars too.
The interactions with others were always more interesting to me than the food, but I am not a foodie as such.
One has to give and take in these situations, I am quite happy to "feed" obnoxious table companions with conversational BS to see how far they will run with it... ;)

So many situation specific ideas for this topic. Meeting a stranger traveler can go in any direction... however... most of the time they are eager to talk about the journey, their destination, and their home.

Many times I found myself in excellent conversation... but the traveler has a cold or a cough and is sneezing etc. Remembering at least twice when this led to a cold for me... and when traveling at an advanced age this is very uncomfortable. So now I observe that aspect as soon as I sit down... and on the side of health safety, I politely make an excuse to leave the table should the traveler be sniffling etc. I simply go to the waiter and tell them I am 'dizzy' and want to eat in my room. When you smile and are polite most things do work!

Your health is very important... especially when traveling.

If I was seated with a stranger, and the stranger said to me "Sorry, but I've had a really long day and just wanted to read my book/check my emails while I eat, do you mind?" Not only would the answer be "Of course, go right ahead!" but the entire situation is immediately less awkward for everyone involved.
What you're describing makes perfect sense coming from a neighbor in coach or a compartment across the hall. They had little or no control over ending up next to you and have nowhere more private to go. What I fail to understand is why someone needing to recharge would choose to drag their desire for privacy into the most public part of the train. Why not simply eat alone and leave that spot for someone who wants to visit with others?

Back when Amtrak had a fleet of PPC cars it gave passengers a mix of seating options that worked both as a meeting point and as a place to get away and relax. Perhaps the CCC could have been reworked as a PPC-lite for other long distance routes. Unfortunately instead of leaning into that theme Amtrak chose to sell off their PPCs and park or rent other cars leaving the dining car as the only place to go on some trains. Maybe that decision is the root of the issue today.

Years ago I put my 80 yr old dad on the SWC for his return home, hoping he'd enjoy the train trip experience as much as I do. At his dining car table the other younger people completely ignored him while they continued conversations. He felt ostracized and left out, not a good experience for him. I was sad for him and kinda disgusted at his tablemates. Basic common courtesy is always a good thing. For those on devices, maybe take your food to go back to your sleeper if you want to be alone?
Perhaps a little off point but I might add, in my opinion, the advent and popularity of cell phones and similar devices have made us all a "rude" society!

I agree... what you said makes perfect sense. Both facilities and staffing have been cut back which reduce options.

Someone on the forum stated that the SCA refused to bring their meal to the room. [Maybe because he was assigned the tasks of 2 or three people.] That pax should then have the option of going to the diner and asking for it placed in the white bag to be brought back to room. I can't think of a reason why such a request would be denied!

It seems that the passengers are becoming entangled in tighter and tighter situations... which is way unacceptable... especially given the newer higher fares.

Years ago I put my 80 yr old dad on the SWC for his return home, hoping he'd enjoy the train trip experience as much as I do. At his dining car table the other younger people completely ignored him while they continued conversations.
Now we are drifting into the realm of selection of conversation topics and how inclusive they are for everyone sitting at a table. Even in a non rail situation it is not unusual for multiple conversation on diverse subjects to carry on at the same table and yet a few feeling left out of it. I don't see how that general social phenomenon can be specifically avoided or addressed in all cases at an Amtrak Diner table, even if none are specifically trying to be nasty or anything like that.

Personally, I am typically not a conversation starter, being somewhat of a reclusive, but more of a conversation joiner or listener depending on what catches my fancy or not. So I may not exactly live upto the high standard of being a conversationalists in Amtrak Diner as seems to be expected here by some. C'est la vie.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back