Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other think that bothers me about Flex dining is the massive amount of packaging waste. Everything is single use plastic, and I have doubts as to how much of this actually gets recycled.

Who cares about packaging waste... it's the physical assault on your health and well being and survivability. Where is the focus of everyone on this discussion??? Melted plastic in the Amtrak container is carcinogenic and has been documented as such. Why are all so complacent??? This is a health issue. We've been through this before and no one seems to care about getting cancer...

"Bad for you!" is what Flex meals are all about! 🙁😣😖😫😩

Sorry for being so 'concerned'... but the message just doesn't seem to be getting across. Ingesting melted plastics with carcinogens will probably kill you unless you are lucky and can get away with it. Stop being so acceptive and lovingly nice about flex meals!

https://www.railwayage.com/passenger/intercity/garbage-served-garbage-generated/

The other think that bothers me about Flex dining is the massive amount of packaging waste. Everything is single use plastic, and I have doubts as to how much of this actually gets recycled.
Mhm. And a good chunk of the stuff we throw into our recycle bin get's thrown out anyway so.

Melted plastic in the Amtrak container is carcinogenic

So is smoking - I would like it if Amtrak improved the food AND eliminated "smoke stops". I know they are supposed to be "fresh air stops" - but, since so many rush out to smoke the fresh air is overwhelmed. Ban smoking on the train, platform and station while also getting rid of the plastic that gets microwaved and/or convection heated.

Mhm. And a good chunk of the stuff we throw into our recycle bin get's thrown out anyway so.
I was told over and over again by traveling Amtrak supervisors that none of the plastics from the diner or water bottles are recycled... to cut down on costs all are dumped with other trash at designated stops and goes directly to landfill.

So... did you know that there is so much plastic in the environment now that small bits of plastics are found in foods eaten... fish to fruit... then become embedded in us? We need to take on a much greater responsibility for the environment.

When it comes to recycling and the environment, Amtrak is a leading offender! o_O:eek::mad:

Amtrak's website is not the most user friendly. Until I memorized the low buckets I would punch in every date and if the lowest fare would come up several times I assumed it was low bucket. Here are a few low bucket Chicago to West Coast fares for one person roomette senior fare:Empire Builder $505, Cal. Zephyr $534,Southwest Chief and Texas Eagle $600
Hope this helps.

LA is probably the best of the “big” stations. I’ve never had any issues there. Not sure if it’s the station layout or just the laid back “chill” California vibe.
Really? I transferred from the SWC to the Coast Starlight twice in LA and both times it was confusing, chaotic, and very crowded. The first time the people at the counter wouldn't check the baggage that people brought because the baggage checkers were apparently coming in on another train and were late. They didn't arrive until maybe 1/2 hour before CS putative departure. Naturally, they held the train. I didn't and don't understand scheduling that would put baggage checkers on another train, but whatever. And then the platforms were so crowded that there was some mild danger of people being accidently pushed onto the tracks. Chicago's Union Station was much smoother in my experience.

If only!
If you are referring to the classic "diner's", especially prevalent along the Northeast Corridor area, typically run by ethnic Greek-American's, with their huge, multi-page menu's, and "all baking done on premises"... I could only dream of Amtrak food service being comparable.:)

Here's some of my favorites...

https://www.reodiner.com/menus/menu.pdf

https://www.clover.com/online-ordering/park-west-diner-little-falls

Wow, I thought those Greek owned diners were a Chicago thing. That's where I am from. They are wonderful. One of the best Jewish Delis there is owned by Greeks. They also control the produce market in Chicago. I recently moved to another state. Produce not nearly as good.

I have a new favorite flexible dining meal. The manicotti isn’t half bad (isn’t on the printed or online menu.) I think it’s the best of the bunch. A disclaimer - I don’t mind salt. Just finished it on 97. Photos attached.
Looks pretty good. I miss Amtrak. Aren't you afraid to take the train these days?

Wow, I thought those Greek owned diners were a Chicago thing. That's where I am from. They are wonderful. One of the best Jewish Delis there is owned by Greeks. They also control the produce market in Chicago. I recently moved to another state. Produce not nearly as good.
There was one in Orlando that made a great pastitsio some years back. Don't know whether it's still there; I moved out of the neighborhood and there's been a lot of redevelopment in the area.

What hoops have you experienced at airports though? Perhaps our experiences have differed there as well.

Check-in kiosks that can't find my reservation or won't complete the check-in resulting in my standing in a line to do so with an agent.

The TSA experience even with Pre- Check; sometimes it works smoothly; sometimes not.

Long walks from check-in and security through the concourses in order to get to my gate. Then, sometimes, its announced that the flight will depart from Gate B-1 when I am at D-22. Another long walk.

A second security clearance at the Gate just prior to boarding the plane where my carry-on has to partly unpacked and searched. (My worst experience was when I was the last passenger on the flight and the gate agent wanted to close the door so the flight could depart on time.)

No space in the overhead luggage bins near my seat for my small carry-on. So, my carry-on has to be taken off the plane and gate checked.

And, then there is the "delightful" onboard experience in Economy/Coach. But, that is not directly responding to your question.

Check-in kiosks that can't find my reservation or won't complete the check-in resulting in my standing in a line to do so with an agent.

The TSA experience even with Pre- Check; sometimes it works smoothly; sometimes not.

Long walks from check-in and security through the concourses in order to get to my gate. Then, sometimes, its announced that the flight will depart from Gate B-1 when I am at D-22. Another long walk.

A second security clearance at the Gate just prior to boarding the plane where my carry-on has to partly unpacked and searched. (My worst experience was when I was the last passenger on the flight and the gate agent wanted to close the door so the flight could depart on time.)

No space in the overhead luggage bins near my seat for my small carry-on. So, my carry-on has to be taken off the plane and gate checked.

And, then there is the "delightful" onboard experience in Economy/Coach. But, that is not directly responding to your question.

Ahh yes that would explain it. The only issues I’ve ever had were long lines at TSA when flying coach. And that was only at airports that are set up poorly like Atlanta.

Also... the no space in overhead bins wouldn’t apply if you were in first class either but I get your point. I would be particularly annoyed to have my bag checked a second time before boarding... seems silly but I’ve had my bag searched in my roomette as well and I was equally annoyed ha.

I have a new favorite flexible dining meal. The manicotti isn’t half bad (isn’t on the printed or online menu.) I think it’s the best of the bunch. A disclaimer - I don’t mind salt. Just finished it on 97. Photos attached.
I was brought up in a 100% Italian family. That looked worse than gross. I'm planning to ask the Italian-American Anti-Defamation League to sue Amtrak and demand that those responsible be made to sleep with the fishes.

I’m terrified of heights so any aspect of flying for me is stressful, regardless of seat class. 😳
Well I personally don't like heights on roller coasters, any time I'm on one I'll usually have my eyes closed when I'm at the top as I can't stand looking out. But on a plane, I absolutely love it. I also have a passion for commercial aviation. So I really enjoy flying.

And it helps that I know that planes are much safer than cars so.

Really? I transferred from the SWC to the Coast Starlight twice in LA and both times it was confusing, chaotic, and very crowded. The first time the people at the counter wouldn't check the baggage that people brought because the baggage checkers were apparently coming in on another train and were late. They didn't arrive until maybe 1/2 hour before CS putative departure. Naturally, they held the train. I didn't and don't understand scheduling that would put baggage checkers on another train, but whatever. And then the platforms were so crowded that there was some mild danger of people being accidently pushed onto the tracks. Chicago's Union Station was much smoother in my experience.
Well, the times when I've gone out of LA, I've always been in the Metropolitan lounge. And we've never checked bags. So it's been really simple.

1: They tell us our train is leaving the yard, and that we can head to the platform. So we gather everything and walk outside.

2. We get on a red cap cart, and he takes us and our luggage to the place on the platform our car should stop. Crowds have never really been an issue. In fact I would think Chicago platforms would be more crowded. They seem TINY.

3. We wait a few minutes (I always get very excited and hyped), train comes, we board.

Of course, departing as a coach passenger with no lounge.. That could be hectic.

I was told over and over again by traveling Amtrak supervisors that none of the plastics from the diner or water bottles are recycled... to cut down on costs all are dumped with other trash at designated stops and goes directly to landfill.

So... did you know that there is so much plastic in the environment now that small bits of plastics are found in foods eaten... fish to fruit... then become embedded in us? We need to take on a much greater responsibility for the environment.

When it comes to recycling and the environment, Amtrak is a leading offender! o_O:eek::mad:
Sigh..

Of course, departing as a coach passenger with no lounge.. That could be hectic.

I’ve never had an issue and have ridden many crowded Surfliners. But that’s my experience. I agree with Chicago platforms feeling more small and crowded but that may just be the difference between being indoors and outside.

I was brought up in a 100% Italian family. That looked worse than gross. I'm planning to ask the Italian-American Anti-Defamation League to sue Amtrak and demand that those responsible be made to sleep with the fishes.
It was certainly not gourmet food and was not implying such - but compared to the other flex dining choices I liked it better - i didn’t think it was gross tasting but you are right it’s certainly not restaurant quality food. While I don’t agree with the popular opinion on this board that the meals are so gross they are inedible - That’s not to say I’m an apologist for Amtrak or think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Last edited:
Looks pretty good. I miss Amtrak. Aren't you afraid to take the train these days?
Not really. I just had Covid at the beginning of January - thankfully mildly. Im also rather extroverted so the endless quarantine eats away at my sanity. Also not at a high risk age so I’m willing to take the risk.

Yeah, it is nuts! Using aluminum trays covered with aluminum foil would be better, and have a better shot at being recycled since it's straight metal.

Someone finally managed to get a photo of the ingredients labels for three of the new packaged meals. (I've been trying to figure out how to get Amtrak to publish their ingredients for years.)

Yep. I'm allergic to all of them. So's my girlfriend, due to a different ingredient.

Nice incompetence, Amtrak. Maybe try providing a selection of decent food which caters to people with different food sensitivities. How hard can it be? The old salads and steaks were a good start.

Someone finally managed to get a photo of the ingredients labels for three of the new packaged meals. (I've been trying to figure out how to get Amtrak to publish their ingredients for years.)

Yep. I'm allergic to all of them. So's my girlfriend, due to a different ingredient.

Nice incompetence, Amtrak. Maybe try providing a selection of decent food which caters to people with different food sensitivities. How hard can it be? The old salads and steaks were a good start.
These seem to be the #1 Complaints by most Amtrak fans.

Better tasting, higher quality meals with Lower Sodium and Sugar ( and probably no Garlic or Peanuts)counts is the way to go when current contracts expire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back