Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone finally managed to get a photo of the ingredients labels for three of the new packaged meals. (I've been trying to figure out how to get Amtrak to publish their ingredients for years.)

Would you be comfortable listing the ingredients? Just the additives? I'm allergic to a few, also.

These seem to be the #1 Complaints by most Amtrak fans.

Better tasting, higher quality meals with Lower Sodium and Sugar ( and probably no Garlic or Peanuts)counts is the way to go when current contracts expire!
I didn't know garlic is a common allergy concern.

Garlic is said to have many health benefits. And it really improves the taste of foods IMHO. In Gilroy CA, self-proclaimed garlic capital of the world and home of the annual Garlic Festival, the slogan is, "Garlic is like a second mother." :)

Garlic is said to have many health benefits. And it really improves the taste of foods IMHO. In Gilroy CA, self-proclaimed garlic capital of the world and home of the annual Garlic Festival, the slogan is, "Garlic is like a second mother." :)
Lots of folks are allergic to Garlic.

Although I can understand some people not liking garlic, let's not get rid of it altogether. As was said at a local garlic gestival "Eat Garlic Fight Mouthwash".

Lots of folks are allergic to Garlic.
Many individuals develop a garlic allergy later in life. All of the flex meals contain garlic (last time customer relations checked on my behalf).

Better to bring your own food than to eat that carcinogenic, sodium and fat filled lethal deadly inedible stuff they are now serving... day after day and everywhere on the system. Amtrak food service is a sham and a disgrace to the traveling public... who are forced to pay for it when traveling in sleepers.

The flex dining concept is wrong wrong wrong... and very harmful. It must be changed! 😨 🤑🤮

Below: Wel'p... here we are again staring at the same old boring meal served day after day throughout the Amtrak system.

b o r i n g !!!!

same meal everywhere everday on Amtrak.png

I did a couple of circle trips in January and February of last year just before the pedemic hit and full service dining was put on hold. I recall riding the Capitol Limited to Chicago which had and still has flex dining and looked forward to the full dining experience. Since then,I have ridden a few times and my anticipation went away.

I've had that steak dinner many many times over the last thirty years of riding and every time it was cooked to perfection. I loved the mussels and later ribs for lunch and the omelettes for breakfast. It's mind blowing how the quality of food has sinked to this.

I booked a trip for May 22,the date full dining should return. Wishful thinking but with most people having vaccinations by then,it might happen. Then again,maybe Amtrak has no intention of returning full dining. I hope I'm wrong.

Better to bring your own food than to eat that carcinogenic, sodium and fat filled lethal deadly inedible stuff they are now serving... day after day and everywhere on the system. Amtrak food service is a sham and a disgrace to the traveling public... who are forced to pay for it when traveling in sleepers.

The flex dining concept is wrong wrong wrong... and very harmful. It must be changed! 😨 🤑🤮

Below: Wel'p... here we are again staring at the same old boring meal served day after day throughout the Amtrak system.

b o r i n g !!!!

View attachment 20737

I don't think I've ever seen green beans quite that long.😯

I did a couple of circle trips in January and February of last year just before the pedemic hit and full service dining was put on hold. I recall riding the Capitol Limited to Chicago which had and still has flex dining and looked forward to the full dining experience. Since then,I have ridden a few times and my anticipation went away.

I've had that steak dinner many many times over the last thirty years of riding and every time it was cooked to perfection. I loved the mussels and later ribs for lunch and the omelettes for breakfast. It's mind blowing how the quality of food has sinked to this.

I booked a trip for May 22,the date full dining should return. Wishful thinking but with most people having vaccinations by then,it might happen. Then again,maybe Amtrak has no intention of returning full dining. I hope I'm wrong.
Good luck for your trip on 22/5 that is my birthday! Let us know how your trip goes... :)

As a long-time customer of food trucks, I can assure you that they are not good for social distancing, as you need to stand in line for a long time while your food is prepared.

For long distance trains during this pandemic, the best type of food service is probably a tray meal served in your room or at your seat. In other words, flex dining.
I'll take a PB & J on some really good nut bread brought from home any day before I'd nauseate on a flex meal. :oops:

Clean-Eating-Nut-Butter-and-Jam-Sandwich-Recipe-2.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back