Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was never offered a first drink free.

How is it usually offered or how is one expected to order it?
Its printed everywhere... so ask for it because you are entitled... but understand this flex concept brings apathy to many of the food servers who seem to have lost any enthusiasm they have for working with passengers. Such is understandable when your service involves a poorly conceived product and you must deal with disappointed and grumpy passengers every day and all day long. It's part of the 'tiger chasing it's tale' and 'frown begets frown.'

Cutting costs by feeding 'em Flex Food is a perfect example of the 'law of diminishing returns.'

This flex deal is one whale of a blunder on the part of Amtrak!!! :eek:

Whale of a Mistake.png

I understand where you are coming from, I shared a table with a couple on the empire builder once during the “real China” days and they did nothing but complain about how terrible Amtrak dining cars were. It was a good dining car crew and my food was very good so i felt it was clear they had already made up their mind.

But the flex dining is really bad quality in my opinion. Comparing a premade frozen omelette to omelettes made fresh on the train?

The Amtrak diner was often considered “Denny’s / ihop” quality, and I agree. So what are the flex meals? What real world restaurant can you compare them to?
This one? But with much smaller serving sizes.
pigsty.jpeg

This flex concept brings apathy to many of the food servers who seem to have lost any enthusiasm they have for working with passengers. Such is understandable when your service involves a poorly conceived product and you must deal with disappointed and grumpy passengers every day and all day long.

This really has been true in my few experiences with contemporary/flex meals. On the Lake Shore, the dining car personnel have been uniformly sullen -- no smile, no effort at conversation, and some of them never come out from behind the counter. No doubt they take more than their share of abuse from travelers unhappy with the changes. The one exception was an attendant on the Crescent who delivered meals to our tables and really did her best to make it a pleasant experience. It still was a totally depressing meal.

This really has been true in my few experiences with contemporary/flex meals. On the Lake Shore, the dining car personnel have been uniformly sullen -- no smile, no effort at conversation, and some of them never come out from behind the counter. No doubt they take more than their share of abuse from travelers unhappy with the changes. The one exception was an attendant on the Crescent who delivered meals to our tables and really did her best to make it a pleasant experience. It still was a totally depressing meal.
Sometimes reality is really sad.

And... sometimes when there's enough noise... someone actually hears it.

Da ya think anyone's reading our words???

Actually, in October, I had this lovely LSA who served us on the Empire Builder. I can't remember her name, but she was in her 60s or 70s and had been in the industry for a while.

She was really nice, and had good conversation. She did talk about the current service vs the old service. I hope she continues to work! Made the Dining Experience much nicer.

And... sometimes when there's enough noise... someone actually hears it.

Da ya think anyone's reading our words???

Well, I do think some members of Congress have gotten the message, which is how the Mica language (dictating that Amtrak food service must not lose money) got deleted last fall. It's hard to say how quickly that change in attitude percolates down to the level of Amtrak management, but I have some hope that when the pandemic recedes, someone there will remember that good food can be an amenity that attracts business.

As Sidney has pointed out, Amtrak's top managers would have to be incredibly dense not to recognize that contemporary/flex dining has drawn an overwhelmingly negative response. When I post here, though, I don't figure any of them are reading. It's more of a chance to vent and compare notes with fellow train riders.

I feel so strongly that coach passengers should be able to use the dining car when it's back in service. If the sleepers are full and there aren't any slots for coach passengers in the dining car, that's one thing, but to automatically forbid coach passengers from the dining car is really bad both for the passengers and Amtrak revenue, I would think.
The exclusion of coach passengers is a fairly recent phenomenon. Here is an excerpt from Amtrak's last printed timetable (2018):

1614646830708.png

It's difficult for me to understand the thinking behind why comments would be made on social media in praise of the dining on Amtrak. This most recent example posted on Facebook with the immediate negative comments--what was the thinking that led to the initial post?

Is this another example of many that I have seen in recent years of some employees of a variety of companies doing "something" that helps to justify to their supervisors their continued employment?

I consider the flex meals comparable to a grocery store frozen food section. There are many Marie Callender's frozen dinners similar in quantity and quality.

mc-thai-styl-ckn-ndl-8115z-91843.png

Last edited:
While the original cold contemporary meals may have been healthier there was a universal even more negative reaction to a menu with all cold meals. They switched to the current menu because of overwhelming bad customer reaction and feedback. I am sure the change with the omelette breakfast is also due to customer reaction. I think for most people having the hot meals is preferential to all cold options. They probably should have kept one of those cold meals as an option for people who try to eat healthier. But I think for some of us railfans, anything other than bringing back traditional dining to all trains will be inedible - I’m not saying everyone here is in that camp and I do understand why those more conscious about the ingredients in their food have an issue with it but I also think a lot of people go into it with so much anger about the cuts that there’s no way they are going to have anything other than a negative reaction. I’ve always found that if you go into a meal with such a negative attitude towards it chances are you’ll find a way not to like it. I tried to go into it with an open mind and in my opinion it’s not as big of a deal as it’s made out to be on the internet. I’m not saying that these are high quality restaurant quality meals but I’m sorry they are not inedible and I just didn’t find the traditional meals I had two years ago so good that this totally ruins train travel for me to where I want to drive. Having said all that I feel bad for the employees that got cut over it - and I do hope eventually they bring back traditional dining if only just for that reason and getting served at your table is a much better presentation for the high prices of a sleeper. Also the old menu certainly had a bigger variety of choices which is also key. The lack of a sandwich or salad choice particular at lunch remains a big problem with flex dining.

I never thought much of Amtrak's dining car food nor the too casual service staff attitude but obviously it was far better than what is offered now. When they came out with the cold in-room meals I was surprised at the high quality of the ingredients. The cheese / cold meats offering was very good, as good as I'd expect in airline first class. They even included a half bottle of quality wine. Then they came up with the current flex meals which are as unhealthy as you can, loaded with sodium and, from my perspective, disgusting to look at. I don't expect a return to the dining car. I can accept room service for meals but the food must be dramatically improved.

Well, I do think some members of Congress have gotten the message, which is how the Mica language (dictating that Amtrak food service must not lose money) got deleted last fall. It's hard to say how quickly that change in attitude percolates down to the level of Amtrak management, but I have some hope that when the pandemic recedes, someone there will remember that good food can be an amenity that attracts business.

As Sidney has pointed out, Amtrak's top managers would have to be incredibly dense not to recognize that contemporary/flex dining has drawn an overwhelmingly negative response. When I post here, though, I don't figure any of them are reading. It's more of a chance to vent and compare notes with fellow train riders.

I've seen a number of travel articles in which the writers gave the food good out better ratings. Were these trips compliments of Amtrak? I've often wondered about that.

I consider the flex meals comparable to a grocery store frozen food section. There are many Marie Calendar frozen dinners similar in quantity and quality.

Perhaps comparable to the worst frozen supermarket meals. My only experience with these is Stouffer's which is better than Amtrak's but also full of sodium. Anyway we all know what to expect from Amtrak so my advice is to take as much food with you as you can. There is no problem if it's a one night trip involving dinner and possibly breakfast. You can always accept the Amtrak salad and whatever else may be decent and avoid the 'main course'. The problem occurs if you're traveling cross country. At least Amtrak offers you the chance of dieting or even fasting.

I consider the flex meals comparable to a grocery store frozen food section. There are many Marie Calendar frozen dinners similar in quantity and quality.

Perhaps comparable to the worst frozen supermarket meals. My only experience with these is Stouffer's which is better than Amtrak's but also full of sodium. Anyway we all know what to expect from Amtrak so my advice is to take as much food with you as you can. There is no problem if it's a one night trip involving dinner and possibly breakfast. You can always accept the Amtrak salad and whatever else may be decent and avoid the 'main course'. The problem occurs if you're traveling cross country. At least Amtrak offers you the chance of dieting or even fasting.

It's difficult for me to understand the thinking behind why comments would be made on social media in praise of the dining on Amtrak. This most recent example posted on Facebook with the immediate negative comments--what was the thinking that led to the initial post?

Is this another example of many that I have seen in recent years of some employees of a variety of companies doing "something" that helps to justify to their supervisors their continued employment?
I don't go on facebook, but I would imagine they may have their fair share of "trolls"...people with nothing better to do, then to incite vigorous contrary responses...

I consider the flex meals comparable to a grocery store frozen food section. There are many Marie Callender's frozen dinners similar in quantity and quality.

Honestly, having tried many different brands of grocery store frozen meals since they were first introduced, Amtrak's are not comparable to even the worst products available in an American supermarket. Ask yourself, would you eat an Amtrak flex meal and then go to the supermarket and stock up with them, fill your freezer with flex meals for home eating?

All I want to do after eating one is forget about it.

Marie Callender's is typically lower in sodium. It's typically lower in sugar. It doesn't have a bunch of extra gums and additives (some of which I am allergic to). It has an ingredients list on the packages, which Amtrak slop does not.

In short, Amtrak is doing worse than it would if it supplied Marie Callender's.

THIS is the fundamental problem. Amtrak is supplying garbage. It might cost a few pennies more to get decent pre-packaged food, but Amtrak management has refused to do it. If they're going to stick with the slop they're currently providing, I would honestly prefer that they be honest, cancel food service entirely, and assist people with bringing their own food on board.

Honestly, having tried many different brands of grocery store frozen meals since they were first introduced, Amtrak's are not comparable to even the worst products available in an American supermarket. Ask yourself, would you eat an Amtrak flex meal and then go to the supermarket and stock up with them, fill your freezer with flex meals for home eating?

All I want to do after eating one is forget about it.
I agree. I've eaten a handful of different frozen meals. Flex meals are worse.

I would imagine this forum is representative of our feelings towards Flex dining. I pointed out yesterday that Amtrak actually had the nerve to promote their dining on facebook,immediately followed by over a hundred negative responses....yet nothing changes. The management of Amtrak could care less.

Keep charging those sky high sleeper prices and keep serving that crap they call food. I really hope Full service dining returns on May 22 on the Western trains.

I haven't had the omelette,the cod dinner or the manicotti yet,but it"s still the same principle.

I've seen a number of travel articles in which the writers gave the food good out better ratings. Were these trips compliments of Amtrak? I've often wondered about that.
Give me a free trip across the country and back (plus possibly something on the side) and I'll claim flex dining is the best thing since sliced bread in my article.

Of course, I'm eminently bribable and rarely eat sliced bread. Crusty French and Italian bread, warm naan, Navaho Fried bread and more are so much better especially when pulled off the loaf instead of cut into slices.

Marie Callender's is typically lower in sodium. It's typically lower in sugar. It doesn't have a bunch of extra gums and additives (some of which I am allergic to). It has an ingredients list on the packages, which Amtrak slop does not.

In short, Amtrak is doing worse than it would if it supplied Marie Callender's.

THIS is the fundamental problem. Amtrak is supplying garbage. It might cost a few pennies more to get decent pre-packaged food, but Amtrak management has refused to do it. If they're going to stick with the slop they're currently providing, I would honestly prefer that they be honest, cancel food service entirely, and assist people with bringing their own food on board.
Some of the Marie Callender's meals aren't that bad actually. For a late arrival at a hotel with a microwave and the only thing open nearby is a convenience store, they're a decent option. Sometimes the hotels even have them in their little "tuck shop". The problem is if Amtrak actually identified as using them people would know they were getting a $3-4 frozen meal and feel even more ripped off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back