Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never tried the Kosher choices, but several of our members have given them approval.( of course anything is better than the TV Dinners full of Sodium, and the Sugar Bomb stuff.)

I actually thought that the Continential Breakast Mix and Match was OK, and the COD Dinners I had on the Eagle and Sunset on my 2 trips recently were passable, but of course not on a par with the old Salmon and other Seafood entrees served during Full Dining Service.

Some folks liked the Pasta and Meatballs, but the Beef,Noodle Bowl( Veggie Choice) and Chicken Dishes were Trash Can Worthy!

I liked the Brownie and Blondie, but miss the Cheesecake,Ice Cream,Chocolate Bundt Cake and the Bourbon Pecan Pie Deserts!😍
Thanks for the info... am making a circle USA trip in October and with all the 'surprises' don't know what to expect. When 'flexing' on the Cardinal, Crescent, and CONO... will definitely try the codfish; but the rest of it will have me deferring to the Kosher salmon and Kosher breakfast. And anything I can pick up at the large stations.

In Japan there are 'Ekiben' [Japanese train station bento box] stores at every station. Wish we had them here!

jw-5d147e4f62f302.45467651.jpg

retina_pixta_1641825_S.jpg

9.jpg

In trying to understand where “Flex” Dining came from (I still don’t get how flex fits in), I found a couple of interesting articles & also discovered that Flex Dining existed before the pandemic (!) & admittedly I’m not as well versed as a lot of you are.

https://www.rollcall.com/2013/12/02/food-service-losses-could-derail-support-for-amtrak-subsidies/
https://www.rollcall.com/2020/06/29/amtrak-dining-cuts-rile-congress/
The term "flexible dining" was supposed to mean you could eat any time you wanted with no reservations needed. Every train I have been on since flex dining started required a reservation.

The term "flexible dining" was supposed to mean you could eat any time you wanted with no reservations needed. Every train I have been on since flex dining started required a reservation.
I though it meant that you could use those little plastic plates as frisbees, or balance the little casserole meal on your head as you walked through the train and back to your room...

images.jpg

I've never tried the Kosher choices, but several of our members have given them approval.( of course anything is better than the TV Dinners full of Sodium, and the Sugar Bomb stuff.)

I actually thought that the Continential Breakast Mix and Match was OK, and the COD Dinners I had on the Eagle and Sunset on my 2 trips recently were passable, but of course not on a par with the old Salmon and other Seafood entrees served during Full Dining Service.

Some folks liked the Pasta and Meatballs, but the Beef,Noodle Bowl( Veggie Choice) and Chicken Dishes were Trash Can Worthy!

I liked the Brownie and Blondie, but miss the Cheesecake,Ice Cream,Chocolate Bundt Cake and the Bourbon Pecan Pie Deserts!😍
My choices are the chicken fettuccini and pasta, always with the blondie.

You could always ask your SCA anytime you wish I believe for food. However might want someone to double check that...

Thanks for the info... am making a circle USA trip in October and with all the 'surprises' don't know what to expect. When 'flexing' on the Cardinal, Crescent, and CONO... will definitely try the codfish; but the rest of it will have me deferring to the Kosher salmon and Kosher breakfast. And anything I can pick up at the large stations.

In Japan there are 'Ekiben' [Japanese train station bento box] stores at every station. Wish we had them here!

View attachment 22252

View attachment 22253

View attachment 22254
This would do me just fine. *drool*

You could always ask your SCA anytime you wish I believe for food. However might want someone to double check that...
Not good enough. Flex meals mean you have to be flexible as the SCAs vary so much in service that someone else's experience with good service can only be assuredly duplicated if you have the same SCA as that person.

I had the flex meal omelette this morning for the first time. It was not terrible - it was better than I expected but not great. Of course, traditional dining omelette is much better. The dining car/sleeper lounge on the Meteor has every other table blocked off. Around 6:45, every available table was taken but passengers rotated in and out. Some people brought their breakfast back to their rooms, but most seemed to eat inside the dining car (unlike lunch yesterday when there were only 2 of us in that car). It seemed to work smoothly. Refills on coffee/hot water/ice were pretty easy. The LSA (a young guy who I had not seen before this trip) was friendly and efficient. He seems optimistic that traditional dining will return to the Meteor.

On the Amtrak website. Does this mean "traditional" real prepared in the kitchen food will reappear after June 30? We're taking the San Francisco Zephyr from Chicago to SF in September but not if they will have only the airline food.

Service Change
Traditional dining service has been temporarily suspended on all routes with the exception of the Auto Train. Through June 30, 2021, customers in private rooms will be offered flexible dining service; Coach customers will be offered Café service.

On the Amtrak website. Does this mean "traditional" real prepared in the kitchen food will reappear after June 30? We're taking the San Francisco Zephyr from Chicago to SF in September but not if they will have only the airline food.

Service Change
Traditional dining service has been temporarily suspended on all routes with the exception of the Auto Train. Through June 30, 2021, customers in private rooms will be offered flexible dining service; Coach customers will be offered Café service.
Don't hold your breath on that time frame. They already delayed it once/

It's been delayed four times. The last date was May 21. I really hope this time it's for real. Outrageous sleeper prices continue,as well as this substandard food.

I wouldn't place bets/hopes on any date including June 30th. They have begun the process - but it's probably one of those things where it will get done when it gets done and may not be on every train at once. Once they have supply chain/menus nailed down, then its a matter of crewing each route.

I also wouldn't place bets/hopes on full-service dining returning in exactly the form it was before flex food was implemented. We might imagine it being as good or even better than before, but since they're in effect starting from scratch with new supplies, the menu might be quite different. And "upgrade" isn't something Amtrak's done well in recent years. 😟

Until June 30 they have a free pass to do whatever. After June 30 they start violating the stipulations for the funding provided in the supplementary bill, which may upset some Congress people, and certainly give them a stick to beat them on the head with.

And "upgrade" isn't something Amtrak's done well in recent years. 😟
That word is not in their dictionary other than as an example when looking for the definition of "lie" as in
lie
verb (used without object), lied, ly·ing.
to speak falsely or utter untruth knowingly, as with intent to deceive.
to express what is false; convey a false impression.
example:
"We are going to upgrade service by providing flex meals"
"We care about long distance. We are upgrading the linens and amenities"
"We are upgrading our service while we keep our prices low"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back