Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For what it’s worth, the cafe attendant on this morning’s NB Saluki told me that traditional dining will be returning to LD trains on July 19.

He worked the Zephyr for a decade, so I assume he knows what he’s talking about.
:mad: That's getting too close for comfort to my trip starting July 28th.

I notice that details for trains before July 1 list flexible dining as an amenity and there is a statement about flex dining until June 30. Then trains after that list traditional dining as an amenity. So I'm hopeful for my trip in July.

I notice that details for trains before July 1 list flexible dining as an amenity and there is a statement about flex dining until June 30. Then trains after that list traditional dining as an amenity. So I'm hopeful for my trip in July.
Won't stop them from delaying it again, as it also showed traditional dining coming back in December before it was delayed. Then May before it was delayed

Won't stop them from delaying it again, as it also showed traditional dining coming back in December before it was delayed. Then May before it was delayed
There isn’t a conspiracy going on - the December delay was obviously going to happen. May was because they could not make that date. It’s coming - wouldn’t be surprised to see more info in the next couple week or so.

There could be. Hopefully not.
Oh, there is. Trust me. And it goes up to the highest levels of the federal government. Congress, the Senate, even Joe Biden (and Trump before him) are all focused on keeping Amtrak's REAL dining car menu plans secret and tricking people about it at the last minute. It is the #1 item on their agenda right now. It's amazing they've been able to keep it quiet for so long.

Oh, there is. Trust me. And it goes up to the highest levels of the federal government. Congress, the Senate, even Joe Biden (and Trump before him) are all focused on keeping Amtrak's REAL dining car menu plans secret and tricking people about it at the last minute. It is the #1 item on their agenda right now. It's amazing they've been able to keep it quiet for so long.

Like many items on the current Amtrak flex menu I’m also allergic to sass :p

Lots of moving parts that need to line up to restart service.

Somewhere there a lot of Post-It notes on a wall.
1622465695822.jpeg

Look for more Postponements as Amtrak struggles with finding enough Staff to return to Daily Trains, and Negotiates Contracts with Suppliers for Better Food for the Diners and Cafes.

I'll be Shocked if what that what they start with is even close to the National Menu and Service we had pre-Pandemic!
Now, now, Jim, don't be an alarmist. 🙄

For those of us not really into dining with people we do not know, what are our options should flexible dining no longer be available?

I am currently thinking of taking a trip in July, a roomette or bedroom on the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle. If dining options are back to normal as before, then no more flexible menu correct? The other option it seems would then be the cafe, but you still have to eat the food in the cafe area. Only other thing I can think of is bringing your own food and just eating it in your cab.

The website says July 1. Some other posts suggest late June. Now it's July 19th. I'm riding again in September. I really hope it is back by then.
That's why, when I cancelled my Jun 2 trip, I didn't make a new reservation. They can't be trusted to be honest or open about it. I think they use a dart thrown at a calendar to set the date.

For those of us not really into dining with people we do not know, what are our options should flexible dining no longer be available?

I am currently thinking of taking a trip in July, a roomette or bedroom on the Coast Starlight from Los Angeles to Seattle. If dining options are back to normal as before, then no more flexible menu correct? The other option it seems would then be the cafe, but you still have to eat the food in the cafe area. Only other thing I can think of is bringing your own food and just eating it in your cab.
First, Amtrak has stated they aren't bringing back community seating with traditional dining for the immediate future. That is one of the reasons coach passengers still will not have access to the diner.

Second, you have always had the option of having "room service" with the attendant bringing your meal to your room.

Third, where in the world did you get the idea you couldn't take cafe food back to your room?

My kids and I are on the Illini SB from CHI to CEN this evening. While stretching our legs and exploring the train we stopped by the half-cafe on the lower level of our superliner coach to make small talk with the LSA.

I asked if he’d heard any scuttlebutt regarding the return of traditional dining and he said it would be coming back to Western LD trains “some time between the middle and end of July.”

He also added that they will be returning to china plates and metal silverware. No more plastic tableware.

He also added that they will be returning to china plates and metal silverware. No more plastic tableware.
This has came up several times, so I am optimistic that management might finally be giving the LD network the attention they deserve.

Website still says July 1st ( flex dining through June 30th). While not disputing what the LSA said, historically OBS staff are not particularly accurate sources.
Well, on the day they delayed it again, the phone agents were giving out the old information - so "historically agent staff are not particularly accurate sources."

On the day after I got an email reply to my inquiry re the May 21 date saying that my train on June 2 was Traditional dining, they announced the June 30 date - so "historically customer service staff are not particularly accurate sources."

And since Amtrak has delayed it once again, their official position on the web site was incorrect and that, I am sure had to be approved by upper management" - so "historically executive staff are not particularly accurate sources."

So who can reliably state when Amtrak will go back to Traditional dining, if not the OBS, the online agents, customer service or the executives?

Incompetence or conspiracy? Doesn't matter. Both point to the same people at the top.

Lying or just don't know? Doesn't matter. Both point to the same people at the top.

The prosecution rests. I ask the jury to bring in a verdict of guilty on a charge of first degree incompetence and first degree conspiracy. Where's the rope? ;)

Well, on the day they delayed it again, the phone agents were giving out the old information - so "historically agent staff are not particularly accurate sources."

On the day after I got an email reply to my inquiry re the May 21 date saying that my train on June 2 was Traditional dining, they announced the June 30 date - so "historically customer service staff are not particularly accurate sources."

And since Amtrak has delayed it once again, their official position on the web site was incorrect and that, I am sure had to be approved by upper management" - so "historically executive staff are not particularly accurate sources."

So who can reliably state when Amtrak will go back to Traditional dining, if not the OBS, the online agents, customer service or the executives?

Incompetence or conspiracy? Doesn't matter. Both point to the same people at the top.

Lying or just don't know? Doesn't matter. Both point to the same people at the top.

The prosecution rests. I ask the jury to bring in a verdict of guilty on a charge of first degree incompetence and first degree conspiracy. Where's the rope? ;)
Incompetence by a mile.

The website is always the last place to be updated. OBS employees are Rumor Central. The phone agents are famously clueless about conditions in the field. The website isn't timely, info from the OBS folks is unreliable, and the phone agents remain clueless about anything except reservations.

It'll happen when it happens. What I find striking is Amtrak's management inability to form a executable relaunch plan by now.

Amtrak's motto certainly seems to be "overpromise and under deliver."

I guess my first trip (west coast to Chicago on the Zephyr) on July3 will be a toss-up, then. :)
We should be passing each other somewhere in Nebraska in the middle of the night as I’m departing Chicago for SF on July 4. I had originally planned on June trip but rescheduled when they extended the crap meals. Too complicated to reschedule again.

We should be passing each other somewhere in Nebraska in the middle of the night as I’m departing Chicago for SF on July 4. I had originally planned on June trip but rescheduled when they extended the crap meals. Too complicated to reschedule again.
I too have passed an AU'er through the night before while on the Starlight. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back