Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, for now they'll just put the food on the linen tablecloths? Just Kidding!!
Woah woah woah, I wouldn't put Amtrak past that!!

I see this as extremely good news. Seems like management (or someone) is pro-LD more than we thought.

I see this as extremely good news. Seems like management (or someone) is pro-LD more than we thought.

It’s certainly good news overall, but the fact that it’s only coming to western trains and will only be available to “passengers in private rooms” makes me wonder what Amtrak has up its sleeves.

I'm wondering if the "sleepers only" policy for the diner is only while COVID is still "out there". Are they not continuing the social distancing in the diners along with the mask mandate?
This is what I'm thinking.
It’s certainly good news overall, but the fact that it’s only coming to western trains and will only be available to “passengers in private rooms” makes me wonder what Amtrak has up its sleeves.
Some western trains. Not sure why it's not coming back to the Eagle, perhaps they couldn't find enough staff in time and decided to put it with the Eastern routes.

Hopefully, if the rumors are true, we will see traditional dining make a return on Eastern routes as well. I'm more optimistic now than I was a month ago

I guess I could see the Viewliner Diners being kept as "First Class" dining cars with traditional service and then they could be "First Class" lounges between meal hours. But at least it would be nice if coach passengers could purchase these meals and pick them up at the new pickup counter (if the rumors are true) and then take them back to the Cafe Car for consumption. Maybe that's the idea? It would save the coach passengers the 15-20% tip too.

But, I am uncertain about the ''hatch green chille'' in it. I cant do spicy. Does anyone know if it they are spicy or mild or just a '' flip of the coin '' for how it will be.
Hatch is the name of a town and valley in southern New Mexico that grows a lot of chilies. It's also a brand name and a kind of shorthand for New Mexican chilies outside the state. In terms of spice they can be mild or hot depending on the growing conditions. That being said this is Aramark we're talking about so I wouldn't worry too much about the spice level since chances are good they'll go with the mild version.

To me it seems they're mainly responding to push-back from customers, advocates, and congresspeople.

So the Vegan chile has the option for bacon or cheese? Wonder how many vegans will choose one of those options?

Hey, it makes everyone happy! Be still my heart!

For us "Vegans-Once Removed", we can handle both.

I noticed the prices were listed for the alcoholic beverages. Maybe my memory is incorrect, but I think the prices for wine--by the glass as well as by the bottle--are higher than what I remember paying in 2019.
The alcohol prices on the new menu are less than the on the current flex dining menu.

How would that work when the RM connects to an Amtrak train? Amtrak prohibits riding in the outdoor viewing area on attached private cars.

Not sure... the platforms are being advertised for the Rocky Mountaineer Colorado trips.

So the Vegan chile has the option for bacon or cheese? Wonder how many vegans will choose one of those options?

Probably the same “vegans” who ordered cheese and bacon on the veggie burger!

It’s a nice menu. That artisan Grilled cheese is a change up from the angus burger.

About 8 years ago they had a grilled cheese on the menu that was wonderful. I had it on the empire builder and the lake shore limited and it was extremely good on both trains.

Seems sad to make a traditionally vegetarian option, not a vegetarian option by adding turkey but Amtrak didn’t ask me! Haha

Having just put up with the Flex Dining on the Starlight the new menu is a great sight. Had a great SA and you could tell he was a bit embarrassed to be serving the stuff and was telling how things would be better starting on the 23rd. Ah well, timing has never been my strong suit.

Reactions: Cal
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back