Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I suspect so. It has been many years. Even the OIG would probably get on their case for keeping so much useless inventory around.
OK, so long story here. I believe the last china used by Amtrak before switching to plastic was the Corelle, which was glass. They sold that off; the staff really didn't like it, because although it doesn't break the first five times you drop it, when it does break, it explodes and is very hard to clean up. I have some of the sold-off surplus.

The thing is, if I remember correctly, the Corelle was introduced along with the new Amtrak "three sheets to the wind" logo. I may be remembering this wrong. So that would mean that the only traditional non-glass Amtrak china had the *old* "pointless arrow" Amtrak logo. I think they haven't decided to go back to that logo (maybe they should), so... yeah they need new china.

It changes for me. Right now I could do with a glass of either one.
I like both but with diabetes they both contain too much sugar for me. I've found a brand of sugar free apple juice that I like. If I didn't think it would be too much of a pain in the posterior I'd pack a bottle or two on the train with me. Not worth the trouble for me though.

Reactions: Cal
No no. Don't get me wrong. I was not worried about the specific term. I was merely trying to understand what it meant in this context.

So all Eastern LD trains are orphan trains then, including the two Silvers, the Cardinal and the LSL and Capitol Ltd., in addition to the ones you listed in your earlier message. Got it.
Sure, if that is the way you want to understand it.😉

Reactions: jis
OK, so long story here. I believe the last china used by Amtrak before switching to plastic was the Corelle, which was glass. They sold that off; the staff really didn't like it, because although it doesn't break the first five times you drop it, when it does break, it explodes and is very hard to clean up. I have some of the sold-off surplus.

The thing is, if I remember correctly, the Corelle was introduced along with the new Amtrak "three sheets to the wind" logo. I may be remembering this wrong. So that would mean that the only traditional non-glass Amtrak china had the *old* "pointless arrow" Amtrak logo. I think they haven't decided to go back to that logo (maybe they should), so... yeah they need new china.
I have some of that Corelle, too.

It changes for me. Right now I could do with a glass of either one.
In the past the Boxed OJ served on Amtrak was of poor quality, while the Apple , and Cranberry Juices were good.

I've missed having the Juices, Coffee (and Ice,alas No More) available in the Sleepers, and hope that Amtrak will once again make these available to Sleeping Car Passengers.

I don't know about poor quality, but not the taste profile I prefer. The problem with most fruit juices, even with no added sugars, is the (natural) sugar content is high, and drinking too much will drive up your blood sugar. I was a tall glass a day OJ guy for quite a while, but (sadly) dropping it helped my A1C noticeably. I think, (at least for now on the new VL) the introduction of the hands off style of ice dispenser will solve the ice problem. Hopefully, it will be included in any SL sleeper refresh as well.

Last edited:
And here is a thread from when SDS was first introduced back in 2011, about ten years back.

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/simplified-dining-service.41439/
The following thread has a very informative discussion about Dining Capacity, Staffing Levels, what SDS really was when it was introduced, and related matters. Very educational, at least for me...

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/how-many-sleepers-can-a-diner-handle.39997/
Reading through them now! Most of my Amtrak travel has been more recently, I Never got to experience dining when it was at it's best.

the first alcoholic beverage is free with dinner, which is something that hadn't happened in pre-covid traditional dining either, that's an upgrade.

It is not an upgrade for me as I do not drink alcoholic beverages ... now, if they offered free hot chocolate (the real stuff, not a powder added to hot water) that would be an upgrade!!!

And here is a thread from when SDS was first introduced back in 2011, about ten years back.

The following thread has a very informative discussion about Dining Capacity, Staffing Levels, what SDS really was when it was introduced, and related matters. Very educational, at least for me...

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/how-many-sleepers-can-a-diner-handle.39997/

When Amtrak brought cooked to order food back after SDS I booked a same-day turn on the Crescent from Atlanta to Birmingham to celebrate. Scrambled Eggs for breakfast, steak for dinner!

Was a a great trip. At the time Amtrak had one of the dining car Servers “turn” in Birmingham so I had the same waiter going both ways.

Just finished reading through them both (I did do some things in between).

Very informational. It's funny to see some on there talking poorly about traditional dining, oh if they only knew what was to come.

I wonder how AlanB would rate flex meals!

My husband didn’t care for the traditional dining on the Crescent but that was one of my reasons fir booking Amtrak sleepersI went to Jersey and Atlanta and food was always good, they had grits one time and the cook was from NO, don’t know if they were packaged but he made them taste home made. Won’t go again until traditional dining back, I do plan on going to ATL in July and bringing my own food

YESSS! GRITS on the CRESCENT! Fond memories...

Reminds me of one day in a small diner in Philadelphia. Was joshing with the cook, a wonderful big lady who won my heart when I laughingly remarked how well grits would be with the ham I had ordered. She came back with the ham, red eye gravy, and a BIG helping of grits - lumpy and cooked to perfection. As she put the plate down before me she said " Honey, I'm from Valdosta, and I ALWAYS gots me a box of grits handy!". From that day on, I had grits a different way every time I passed though.

YESSS! GRITS on the CRESCENT! Fond memories...

Reminds me of one day in a small diner in Philadelphia. Was joshing with the cook, a wonderful big lady who won my heart when I laughingly remarked how well grits would be with the ham I had ordered. She came back with the ham, red eye gravy, and a BIG helping of grits - lumpy and cooked to perfection. As she put the plate down before me she said " Honey, I'm from Valdosta, and I ALWAYS gots me a box of grits handy!". From that day on, I had grits a different way every time I passed though.
Having Grits served with Breakfast used to be one of the Signs that you had crossed into the South!

My favorite was on the Southern run Crescent eating Breakast in the Diner on the way to/from Atlanta with Fried Eggs,Ham,Red Eyed GrazzyGrits and Toast( sometimes Biscuits) washed down with lots of freshly brewed Coffee!

Hmmm. Looks from that like the first capacity restriction was seating, so that if more people get their meals "takeout" (to their room or to their seat) they should be able to handle more customers with one kitchen. I wonder what the kitchen capacity limits are if fully staffed, assuming that the dining car table count is not considered a limitation anymore due to at-seat dining...

Hmmm. Looks from that like the first capacity restriction was seating, so that if more people get their meals "takeout" (to their room or to their seat) they should be able to handle more customers with one kitchen. I wonder what the kitchen capacity limits are if fully staffed, assuming that the dining car table count is not considered a limitation anymore due to at-seat dining...

The V2s do have a capacity issue. They removed six seats (a table and a half) for accessibility although a wheelchair passenger may never appear. Some kind of clever convertible seating there would be great if possible.

Also we all know that the "setup" table and the table that is used for the crew's personal stuff also needs to be addressed. The loss of these two tables and 8 seats is crazy.

A 48 seat diner becomes a 34 seat diner! That ain't good.

I have wondered why non perishables are not stored in the baggage car ? A fork lift at certain locations to ferry these items to / from Diner would free up patron spaces ?

I have wondered why non perishables are not stored in the baggage car ? A fork lift at certain locations to ferry these items to / from Diner would free up patron spaces ?
I think that would be very inconvenient for everyone involved.

I wonder if the return of china will reduce the many boxes of supplies that clutter the diner not to mention the trash. Or will the ‘china’ be the disposable kind so the waste continues? Do VII diners even have the equipment to wash plates and glasses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back