Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're aware the forum is made up of many voices with competing views rather than a cult moving in lock step right? While the minimum standard at a Hampton is quite low it's still higher than the minimum flex standard on Amtrak.

After hundreds of flights and dozens of airlines I've yet to see an Amtrak length trip without included coach meals, despite the fact that most flights depart locations with plenty of meal options while Amtrak does not.

That works in Japan but they have several trains arriving and departing on a dependable schedule during mealtime hours. That's not to say it's impossible to work here but I don't see why someone with business sense would risk their money on making food that might spoil if the train was too late. That basically leaves pantry items that can easily survive a missed day or three. The other option is to contract for freshly prepared food so the vendor is covered regardless of what the train does but Amtrak has apparently abandoned those contracts.

That's where the 'perhaps' comes in... it certainly wouldn't work with today's conditions. Unfortunately there is no crystal ball to tell us what the future holds... and we might all be surprised to see how things come together in the next few years!

I agree about immersion heaters.

I also agree that an immersion heater is not the safest thing to use on a train. However, the point I was making is that, while a variety of options for food choice and preparation are available for those in sleepers. not all those options would work while riding in coach ... and, while there are usually more on a train riding in coach, most of the articles/comments I have seen about what to take are aimed at sleepers passengers who, while it is not the most appetizing food, have meals included in their fare - while coach passengers no longer have access to those meals.

Hopefully Amtrak will make some big changes to the menu someday, but my guess it won't be very soon. Until then it looks like alternative or even stopgap measures are a finicky passengers' best bet.

I agree about immersion heaters. They are very compact but almost a little dangerous. They will burn out in a split second if run dry. When I was in college my roommates' electric teapot exploded when it ran dry.

These devices are usually at least 300w, which makes them relatively fast. I have looked at thermoelectric devices that can heat and cool. While they are extremely simple and reliable and used in aerospace and high tech devices for cooling they apparently don't heat as well. On the other hand they typically use only 36w, almost a tenth of the power.

In the past, hot water and ice have been available to all passengers in the cafe car... no charge. I wonder if this has changed. One can bring their own Asian soup or powdered coffee / tea and just ask for hot water.

It seems that all these convenience policies at Amtrak have been disrupted by the pandemic.

I am sitting in the aisle seat with a cord stretched over to the window area where it plugs in and have an immersion heater sitting in a cup of water I am trying to boil - will the attendant allow that? Even if I am sitting at a table in the café car ... will they let me sit in plain sight making a hot cup of soup, coffee or hot chocolate if I need to boil water?

I think the official Amtrak rule precludes eating or preparing personal food in the common use lounge or Cafe areas. At your coach seat they don't restrict you but I know 110v outlets aren't conveniently located for all coach seats.

I don't know how it would work ...

I I am in a sleeper and decide I want to boil water in a cup with my immersion heater - who's going to know with my door shut. However, if I am sitting in the aisle seat with a cord stretched over to the window area where it plugs in and have an immersion heater sitting in a cup of water I am trying to boil - will the attendant allow that? Even if I am sitting at a table in the café car ... will they let me sit in plain sight making a hot cup of soup, coffee or hot chocolate if I need to boil water?
Hot water is complimentary to all coach passengers... just go to the cafe and ask for it. Unless the policy has changed or the attendant has an attitude problem... you can get the hot water for your own coffee or tea. You shouldn't need to heat the water yourself... sleeper or coach.

One can bring their own Asian soup or powdered coffee / tea and just ask for hot water.

There are other varieties of soup. Ramen noodles of course, but also split pea, chicken and noodles, hot and sour, etc.
There are some kinds of instant rice products in microwavable cups, too. A risotto, I guess. Also potatoes au gratin or instant mashed potatoes.

In the past, hot water and ice have been available to all passengers in the cafe car... no charge. I wonder if this has changed. One can bring their own Asian soup or powdered coffee / tea and just ask for hot water.
I think you can still expect hot water and ice on most trains, or at least I haven't seen any definitive proof those requests no longer being honored, but some staff seem to do whatever they want with or without a pandemic.

I think the official Amtrak rule precludes eating or preparing personal food in the common use lounge or Cafe areas. At your coach seat they don't restrict you but I know 110v outlets aren't conveniently located for all coach seats.
On Western trains they don't want you eating your own food on the lower lounge level but the upper level is fair game. So long as you refrain from opening smelly food in an enclosed area and clean up after there should be no problems.

Getting hot water may still be available upon request ... I have not been on Amtrak since the pandemic began (and don't plan to be anytime soon)

While it may be possible to get hot water - how easy is it to make soup or other hot meals (like oatmeal) while riding coach? You can't stand at the café counter while the water is hot and do it. Will you be able to sit at a table and make it? There may not be a table available even if the attendant(s) let you. By the time you walk back to your seat and make the attempt at your seat the water may no longer be as hot as you need/like - not to mention that a fellow passenger or attendant may object to you preparing your "hot meal".

In a sleeper none of these are a problem since you can heat your own water and make your hot (whatever) in the privacy of your room with your door closed.

My original question/point was not how to obtain hot water - it was more about most articles and/or posts about what to bring to eat are centered around what can be brought to have "yummy" food in a sleeper ... but not many articles and/or posts are about what kind of food to bring if you are riding in coach - especially if the trip is multiple days (and, yes, I would/could ride coach from JAX to CHI, LAX, DEN, PDX or other places longer than just to NWK or NYP

On Western trains they don't want you eating your own food on the lower lounge level but the upper level is fair game. So long as you refrain from opening smelly food in an enclosed area and clean up after there should be no problems.

I don't think I would recommend that people flaunt official Amtrak policy because I've seen people redirected to their coach seats, with their food, on the Coast Starlight.

Maybe it depends on the crew, or how crowded the train is. With the coronavirus they might have changed.

I don't have any particular knowledge about dehydrated camping food, but I know places like REI have a selection.

I don't think I would recommend that people flaunt official Amtrak policy because I've seen people redirected to their coach seats, with their food, on the Coast Starlight.
1611088562204.png
https://www.amtrak.com/personal-food-beverages-medication

On a Superliner lounge?
It was the CS. Is there a regular Lounge as well as a Superliner Lounge?

What is the 'coronavirus' friendly recommendation?

Once I was downstairs and some people bought something and wanted to use the table.

I found that sitting in my seat using the tray made the most sense, even if I bought the food in the lounge.

It was the CS. Is there a regular Lounge as well as a Superliner Lounge?

What is the 'coronavirus' friendly recommendation?

Once I was downstairs and some people bought something and wanted to use the table.

I found that sitting in my seat using the tray made the most sense, even if I bought the food in the lounge.

The Coast Starlight would have been a Superliner lounge.

The Sightseer Lounge Cars have a different set of rules than the single level cafe cars, that’s why I was asking.

The Coast Starlight would have been a Superliner lounge.

The Sightseer Lounge Cars have a different set of rules than the single level cafe cars, that’s why I was asking.
It was a Superliner. I don't know if it was a Superliner Sightseer but there were no tables. Maybe these people were just using too much space. I recall seating was limited. I think they had a crock pot, picnic basket, or some other bulky item as well.

It was a Superliner. I don't know if it was a Superliner Sightseer but there were no tables. Maybe these people were just using too much space. I recall seating was limited. I think they had a crock pot, picnic basket, or some other bulky item as well.

If it was in recent years there were tables, sightseer lounge cars have tables on one end, and Lounge seating on the other.

You are not allowed to bring your own food downstairs, but you can bring it upststairs. That’s the written rules.

Of course a crew can always make up new rules that’s for sure.

Lots of discussion about those ramen noodles. The ramen cups need only that you remove the top and pour in hot water ... and let stand for 3 minutes. Most of the time the cafe attendant will be happy to pour hot water into the cup... however now with covid that many not be possible.

Oooh... I am so looking forward to regaining some kind of 'normal!'

Ramin Good and Savory!.png

Lots of discussion about those ramen noodles. The ramen cups need only that you remove the top and pour in hot water ... and let stand for 3 minutes. Most of the time the cafe attendant will be happy to pour hot water into the cup... however now with covid that many not be possible.

Oooh... I am so looking forward to regaining some kind of 'normal!'

View attachment 20330

Did Amtrak stop selling ramen noodles in the cafe cars?

Of course a crew can always make up new rules that’s for sure.

He said it was an Amtrak rule, maybe because there were no tables he was right. There were people milling around hoping to get a seat and these people were putting out a 'spread' so to speak.

I had no problem with eating at my seat in coach, the trays are big enough. I would probably prefer staying socially distant as well.

I found this on the web. I'm not sure how it compares to the breakfast at the Hampton Inn but I can't tolerate that sugary stuff at all.

chicken-teriyaki-with-rice-adventure-meal-nutritional_back_720x.jpg

Huh? With that logic I should bring my own salad to eat in a restaurant since a head of lettuce is so cheap.... lol.
For the $2.75 I think they pour the water in for you and heat it in the microwave.

I would be careful about what kind of ramen noodles I would eat. A lot of them are deep fried. Plus the seasoning packet has a lot of sodium.

Maybe shopping at a store you could get healthier ones.

I nixed the motel breakfast bars several years ago and instead make Tasters' Choice.

It's ok with really hot water but there's nothing worse than tepid instant coffee.
I always take my immersion heater in case there's no microwave.

Huh? With that logic I should bring my own salad to eat in a restaurant since a head of lettuce is so cheap.... lol.

For a cup of ramen noodles they charge $2.75. It's 25 cents in the super market and light and easy to carry. I've known the value of a dollar... when I was a substitute teacher making $10 per hour with 3 college degrees... and struggling.

That's my logic... I know the value of a dollar and I know how hard I've had to work to make ends meet.

And you say 'With that logic I should bring my own salad to eat in a restaurant since a head of lettuce is so cheap.'

Nope... you got it wrong... and the logic stated is right... the Amtrak cafe is not like that restaurant you are talking about. It's the public cafe for the people who are traveling on the train.

I will restate again the all of us don't live in a world of inherited wealth... and some of us work very hard for every penny:
"But at $2.75 a cup you should bring your own... 3 or 4 for a buck at the grocery store... they are light and easy to carry."

Not laughing out loud...

Cash-US-1024x512.jpg

That's interesting but I have witnessed people ushered out, at least twice.
I am not doubting what you saw but I am disputing that what you saw falls under official Amtrak policy.

Last edited:
He said it was an Amtrak rule, maybe because there were no tables he was right. There were people milling around hoping to get a seat and these people were putting out a 'spread' so to speak.

I had no problem with eating at my seat in coach, the trays are big enough. I would probably prefer staying socially distant as well.

I found this on the web. I'm not sure how it compares to the breakfast at the Hampton Inn but I can't tolerate that sugary stuff at all.

View attachment 20331
Says you need "boiling" water. Don't know whether hot water from the lounge would be hot enough to get satisfactory results (especially if you have to carry it to your room or seat before adding.)

And if those are foil packets, or anything you need to hold on to, trying to pour hot water into them on a moving train would be risky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back