Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting hot water may still be available upon request ... I have not been on Amtrak since the pandemic began (and don't plan to be anytime soon)

On our most recent Wolverine trips (pre-pandemic) I was advised that hot water was no longer available in Coach. You could purchase hot tea, and just not use the teabag, but free hot water was discontinued. We used to bring our own teabags and instant oatmeal, ask the Cafe car attendant for a cup of hot water, and tip a dollar for the water.

Nope... it's on the national cafe menu on their website... just dowloaded this pdf. But at $2.75 a cup you should bring your own... 3 or 4 for a buck at the grocery store... they are light and easy to carry.

View attachment 20334
They’ve still got most of the microwaveable stuff. They cut the fresh selections (IE healthier options) salads, sandwiches, etc. Hopefully they’ll return after the pandemic..

I am not doubting what you saw but I am disputing that what you saw falls under official Amtrak policy.
Maybe you are right. Is there a clause about "smelly" food? They had a crock pot in a quilted insulation cover and the food did have considerable aroma. Maybe it was disruptive or something.

Not the same as someone eating a sandwich or bowl of cereal.

Maybe you are right. Is there a clause about "smelly" food? They had a crock pot in a quilted insulation cover and the food did have considerable aroma. Maybe it was disruptive or something. Not the same as someone eating a sandwich or bowl of cereal.
I'm unaware of a term or condition that specifically mentions smelly food but staff discretion can be used to help avoid negatively impacting other passengers unnecessarily. If it were up to me warnings against opening/heating odorous foodstuffs would be part of the website, mobile app, and ticket notices. It hasn't been a major problem on my past trips but as on board food service becomes more of a footnote over time it could get worse in the future.

Reactions: OBS
That makes perfect sense. They don't necessarily spell out every single thing that people might consider unreasonable.
Until the Amtrak dining gets better the smells could get worse. That's why I'm an advocate for outdoor dining.

Here are a few things I might take if I were traveling now.
20210120_112529.jpg

what kind of food to bring if you are riding in coach
By the time you walk back to your seat and make the attempt at your seat the water may no longer be as hot as you need/like - not to mention that a fellow passenger or attendant may object to you preparing your "hot meal".

If they still have hot water maybe a thermos would help.

I might get put out of the house if I bought "Mission" tortillas/wraps to take on a train.

My daughters are vendors for
View attachment 20347

Not to mention I do not like pistachios
Sorry about the pistachios. These don't leave shells all over the floor. Does that make a difference?

I'm not really sure what to do with tortillas on the train anyway.

Here are a few more items.

20210121_080636.jpg

I have brought snacks on the train before, and I usually ride in coach. However I am not sure other than cost why my response to a les than stellar flex meal would be to bring my own meal of the same or similar quality like ramen or a mashed potato bowl. Anything I can cook on a train is likely to be just as unhealthy as what Amtrak currently chooses to cook on a train.

This is probably true, but I can bring snacks that aren't 80% carbohydrates while the Amtrak menu is loaded with carbs.

Here are a few things I take in coach - including the grill!
View attachment 20350

Somehow, I get very popular with other passengers on the train and even the conductor usually lines up for a meal or two!

The bbq is ideal as long as we get outdoor dining.

I usually do take jerky. I also like to take pretzels (they hold up better than chips) ... besides, I have access to the Snyder Brand since I also have a daughter that is a vendor for them.

I sometimes grab a sandwich from someplace like 1611258329723.png since they keep quite well in the same cooler I bring some drinks in.

I'm on the Sunset/Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago. I keep hoping for things to improve. Rubbery Jimmy Dean sandwich for breakfast,barely edible pasta for lunch. Dinner will be no better. Tomorrow repeat. There is a Dennys near the San Antonio station. Hopefully there will be enough time to grab breakfast during the layover. Dennys will be like a gourmet restaurant compared to Amtraks flexible dining.

I love riding,but something has to be done about that dreck they are serving. Unfortunately,until full service dining returns(if it ever does) passengers are stuck with this. On the Eastern trains there is no hope.

I doubt any Amtrak executive has ever taken a cross country trip and "experienced" the joy that is flex dining.

I'm on the Sunset/Texas Eagle from LA to Chicago. I keep hoping for things to improve. Rubbery Jimmy Dean sandwich for breakfast,barely edible pasta for lunch. Dinner will be no better. Tomorrow repeat. There is a Dennys near the San Antonio station. Hopefully there will be enough time to grab breakfast during the layover. Dennys will be like a gourmet restaurant compared to Amtraks flexible dining.

I love riding,but something has to be done about that dreck they are serving. Unfortunately,until full service dining returns(if it ever does) passengers are stuck with this. On the Eastern trains there is no hope.

I doubt any Amtrak executive has ever taken a cross country trip and "experienced" the joy that is flex dining.
You probably won't have time to go to Dennys during the Switching in Ssn Antonio from #2 to #22 as the Sunset Ltd is usually Late into SA.

Southbound on #21/#421 is different with the 3-4 Hour Dwell time.

The Eagle ( #422/#22) leaves for Chicago @ 7am after the quick switching.

How much do you charge? 🤣
My grill charges are in 5 different buckets (six if you count the KFC). Buckets move up when demand is high. Each type of food has its own bucket so filet mignon is in one, burgers in another, hot dogs, etc. So sometimes the filet is as cheap or cheaper than two burgers (or even one) but at other times like when there is only one left, the price gets really high. There is a fixed cost for the side items. I got the idea from some company but I can't remember its name.

I usually do take jerky. I also like to take pretzels (they hold up better than chips) ... besides, I have access to the Snyder Brand since I also have a daughter that is a vendor for them.

I sometimes grab a sandwich from someplace like View attachment 20361 since they keep quite well in the same cooler I bring some drinks in.
Hey! That's a great idea... and will keep that restaurant in mind for grab n' rail! 😊

Maybe not but I'm sure you can take solace in that it's unlikely the Amtrak executives are doing it to spite you.

They're clearly in survival mode and might be for much of this year.

Meanwhile, if you can catch me_little_me's 'on the train' food truck ( probably operating without a licence) you can grab a bucket of KFC and it might last you all day.

Fried chicken for breakfast. Not bad, and I'm sure the Colonel would approve.

i understand the situation during this pedemic. I just wish there were better offerings than what they are serving.

I was on the EB last June. At Shelby pizza and KFC was brought aboard and we were offered them in lieu of the flex stuff. I 've been on several trains since then and that is the only time it happened.

Yes,I would welcome KFC for breakfast.

One more thought. The term "flexible dining" is supposed to mean you can eat anytime you want. Yet,every train I have been on on my trip you have to eat at a specific time. So why do they call it "flexible dining"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back