Amtrak dining and cafe service

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some of the Marie Callender's meals aren't that bad actually. For a late arrival at a hotel with a microwave and the only thing open nearby is a convenience store, they're a decent option. Sometimes the hotels even have them in their little "tuck shop". The problem is if Amtrak actually identified as using them people would know they were getting a $3-4 frozen meal and feel even more ripped off.
I think people would rather have decent frozen than garbage frozen.

Is there anything in the $1.5B Stimulus bill that directs Amtrak to reinstate traditional dining along with daily service? Or is that left up to Amtrak's discretion? Just wondering.

Is there anything in the $1.5B Stimulus bill that directs Amtrak to reinstate traditional dining along with daily service? Or is that left up to Amtrak's discretion? Just wondering.

How can they restore traditional dining and socially distance?

How can they restore traditional dining and socially distance?

It doesnt appear to me that the flex dining meals are served any differently than the traditional dining meals are served “to go.” So the service would remain the same with no parties seated together and more passengers being served in their room.

Reactions: Cal
It doesnt appear to me that the flex dining meals are served any differently than the traditional dining meals are served “to go.” So the service would remain the same with no parties seated together and more passengers being served in their room.

By a return to traditional dining you mean a return to meals cooked on board with a limited number of people allowed to sit, distanced, in the dining car but most people served in their rooms? To observe the rules, there would have to be six feet between tables and no strangers seated together. I should think that would mean that every other table would have to remain empty.

By a return to traditional dining you mean a return to meals cooked on board with a limited number of people allowed to sit, distanced, in the dining car but most people served in their rooms? To observe the rules, there would have to be six feet between tables and no strangers seated together. I should think that would mean that every other table would have to remain empty.
Currently, they use tables even if they are next to each other. So...

I think they should just have it like it's being served on the Auto Train right now

It looks like they are now offering a breakfast omelet.

The western U.S. menus have replaced the Creole shrimp meal with garlic & herb cod.

EDIT: Clarification that it is the Creole shrimp meal that has been replaced on west coast menus - not the shrimp with lobster sauce.

Last edited:
It looks like they are now offering a breakfast omelet.

The western U.S. menus have replaced the shrimp meal with garlic & herb cod.
The shrimp with lobster sauce? Isn't that the best flex meal

The shrimp in lobster sauce is one of the "better" flex meals. Last time I had it the shrimp were rubbery and unedible.

Currently, they use tables even if they are next to each other. So...

I think they should just have it like it's being served on the Auto Train right now

Then they aren't even complying with what most cities and states are mandating.

Well traditional dining had both room service and table service, both can be offered now just like before, just skip seats as needed. I’m guessing the majority of passengers wish to eat in their rooms now because of safety, so there shouldn’t be a big capacity issue.

Well traditional dining had both room service and table service, both can be offered now just like before, just skip seats as needed. I’m guessing the majority of passengers wish to eat in their rooms now because of safety, so there shouldn’t be a big capacity issue.
Mhm, and they still use the diner for flex dining, just no communal seating. Just continue that, simple

The shrimp with lobster sauce is ok - but only if it’s heated properly. Like many of the flex dining meals I think the microwave preparation is actually one of the biggest problems - if they were hearing in a convection oven these probably would come out at least somewhat better.

The shrimp with lobster sauce is ok - but only if it’s heated properly. Like many of the flex dining meals I think the microwave preparation is actually one of the biggest problems - if they were hearing in a convection oven these probably would come out at least somewhat better.

I thought they were using a convection oven?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back